Csst at lowes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Csst at lowes

I looked into getting certified for CSST when I installed the gas line for my backyard firepit last year. One of the manufacturers (or rather their rep in SoCal) refused to certify me saying I needed a C36?? license. However the other two were willing to certify me and I even signed up for the class. However, in the end I ended up using black iron pipe and worked out very well - also partly thanks to Plumber Rick who provided great advice on my thread last year - so much so that the inspector was very impressed with the overall work and code compliance for the job.

From what I have seen anyone can purchase CSST if they wanted to - places like ebay for example. I wanted to get certified to make sure I was aware of any safety issues just like any plumber going for the training but in reality anyone can get the pipe regardless of whether Lowes are selling it or not.

Comment

"Well we called 3 plumbers, had them come and give us pricing to install the flex gas line or the black stuff. My wife and I decided they was all too high and decided to go and buy the materials ourself at lowes and take a stab at it.

I hooked it off the bottom of the small pipe that tees off into the water heater (why did they do that?) and it works fine."

^^^^

There you have it, plain and simple.

Wasted the time of 3 plumbing companies, ended up doing it themselves. This is why I will not give free estimates.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

All take it one step further.

Twenty years ago I did not know of a supply house that would sell to the General Public. Now I don't know of one that won't take any counter walk up.

Oh, and how about his twist. We make a five figure investment in ProPress five years ago, with the assumption that no one off the street, or our customers in the commercial sector can afford the guns.

Well I found out last year when we checked on a quote to one of our commercial customers in San Diego those days are gone. Turns out an independent plumbing supply house that has been around for some time and has a strong foot hold in the San Diego area bought a bunch of ProPress guns and depending on the customer and there fitting order loans it to them or charges $75.00 per day for the use of the gun. Our customer did (our rough quote $4,000.00) the repairs for the cost of his $12.00 per hour maintenance guy and the fittings.

Oh, and that reminds me of when Rheem was exclusive locally to the plumbing supply houses one day and the next all the local HD's are selling them.

Suppliers, manufactures, etc... are getting desperate for sales. The days of specialty exclusivity are gone, I hate to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post

Twenty years ago I did not know of a supply house that would sell to the General Public. Now I don't know of one that won't take any counter walk up.

Oh, and how about his twist. We make a five figure investment in ProPress five years ago, with the assumption that no one off the street, or our customers in the commercial sector can afford the guns.

Well I found out last year when we checked on a quote to one of our commercial customers in San Diego those days are gone. Turns out an independent plumbing supply house that has been around for some time and has a strong foot hold in the San Diego area bought a bunch of ProPress guns and depending on the customer and there fitting order loans it to them or charges $75.00 per day for the use of the gun. Our customer did (our rough quote $4,000.00) the repairs for the cost of his $12.00 per hour maintenance guy and the fittings.

Oh, and that reminds me of when Rheem was exclusive locally to the plumbing supply houses one day and the next all the local HD's are selling them.

Suppliers, manufactures, etc... are getting desperate for sales. The days of specialty exclusivity are gone, I hate to say.

You better believe it..They don't care who buys or who installs as long as they move their product..Saw that years ago when Home Depot was selling ventless gas log sets before they were even approved in my area..
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

B*tch, b*itch, b*tch so what are you going to do about it?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post

you could pretty much say the same thing about hdpe fusion machines. most supply houses rent them out. yet they cost about the same price of a propress machine.

nothing wrong with renting out a propress. heck the supply houses make it back with fitting sales and the tool rental.

i know of only 1 supply house that rents out a propress. they all rent fusinon machines and none rent a camera.

i think i will open up ricky rents to all the trades. i've got enough to make a rental yard drool.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I find a niche and fill it.

Personally, I have been filling the niche almost my entire career. When my customers have plumbing problems, I sell them solutions.

Manufacturers and wholesalers in our industry could care less about this trade and really never have. They will sell their product either to you or Joe Shi* The rag man. As long as he has the cash/credit.

Wholesalers are happy as clams along as you're playing by their rules, but when you cut them out, they cry like babies.

Anyone ever get fed up with the current system? Like the Big Box Store, selling retail for less than you are buying wholesale! Irks me no end.

Anyone ever cut out the local wholesaler and buy direct from a rep? Yes, I have and still do.

Anyone ever cut out the local wholesaler and the factory rep and buy out of state? Yes, I have and still do.

Have you ever belonged to a buying co-op? Not yet. But working on it!

Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  What everyone else does. Get me a job with the government, get in a union if there is one, free benefits, and then run a company on the side competing with full time small business owners.

J.C.

Comment

The natural progression of ALL industry in the U.S. (Maybe Everywhere) has been to make it easier and faster. All this stuff ain't nothing new. I know it bugs some about it being an accident waiting to happen. I think for most it really bothers them 'cause they see it as a threat to their bottom line and chance for success. And it's true.

The less skill it takes, the more likely more people will do the work, regardless of background. It will continue.

J.C.

Comment

I don't think there is much we can do, besides *****.

It would take many, manymanymany MANY lawsuits to get them to start only selling to licensed plumbers.

Or maybe one great lawsuit that retires you and your family, and your familys familys family, family. With a provision that says X company will not allow their product to be sold to anyone that is not licensed, or said products company will be fined. Heavily

As futile as it is, it's probably just that. Maybe I should teach my girlfriend how to run CSST and send her to lowes. Then when she calls out my plumbing company to fix the gas leak, I will file a lawsuit against lowes/homedepot/locke/ferguson/etcetc.

Comment

Was at Lowes today to get a 90 for the gutter, and no signs what-so-ever of Csst.

Comment

[QUOTE=NHMaster3015;356884]B*tch, b*itch, b*tch so what are you going to do about it?[/QUOTE

Nothing.

I keep the skilled products in my hands.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                            I don't think there is much we can do, besides *****.

It would take many, manymanymany MANY lawsuits to get them to start only selling to licensed plumbers.

Or maybe one great lawsuit that retires you and your family, and your familys familys family, family. With a provision that says X company will not allow their product to be sold to anyone that is not licensed, or said products company will be fined. Heavily

As futile as it is, it's probably just that. Maybe I should teach my girlfriend how to run CSST and send her to lowes. Then when she calls out my plumbing company to fix the gas leak, I will file a lawsuit against lowes/homedepot/locke/ferguson/etcetc.
                            What it would take is for the PHCC to stand behind it's membership instead of Manufacturing
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              A letter to the editor of your state bar magazine might be more effective than trying to make PHCC do it's job. Pointing out a potential revenue stream to our favorite people may be all that it takes to halt this practice.

Comment

The membership should be the ones making them do what we want done
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X