X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Csst at lowes

I was just at lowes today and they now have csst for sale. Every manufacture I know requires you to be certified by them to install it. I can't believe this!!! Homeowners putting this stuff in? I guess my fire dept will soon be going to a lot of gas explosions.

Re: Csst at lowes

Yes, I saw this at Lowes the other day. Interesting, ha? We work hard to get certified in all this stuff and big box stores just hand it out like candy with no responsibility.
    Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

To be quite honest the "certification" is a joke ..Sure a rep comes out to the job and hands you the installation manual and goes over how to put the fittings together ..Then theres the test afterwards..What 10 questions ..If you're lucky you might even geta t shirt when you're done ..Which manufacturer is selling at Lowes?? Wardflex, Trac pipe, Gastite..I'm curious..I bet it's cheaper than at the supply house and they probably will have all the fittings you need when you get there
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Boom
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

It wasn't wardflex trac pipe or gastite. Never heard of the company and forget the name I should of wrote it down to look it up. The fittings have an oring in them. They sell extra orings too I guess for when the homeowner #ucks it up

Comment

I can certify you to install all brands of csst in about 5 minutes. Pex in about 5 minutes and to screw an AAV on in even less time. So what? All these certifications are is an attempt by the manufacturers to make you feel special while you basically listen to an hour long sales pitch followed by 5 minutes of DUH training. Frankly any half intelligent homeowner is more than capable of stringing csst around their basement just like you would.
            sigpic

Comment

BIG BIG BOOM BOOM THEN IT IS JUST ROASTING HOT DOGS AND MARSHMELLOWS
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I'm not saying the certification is anything special. My problem it's to thing. First is homeowners and handyman hacks will be much more likely to string up some csst then they would to thread black pipe with the equipment it involves. That means less work for us once again. Second is when they screw it up they don't have a drip on the floor from a water line they have a bomb.

Comment

Nhmaster you must have some talented homeowners up there. Around here most people can't hang a picture on the wall without messing it up but they still try that's the scary part. We once got a call from a homeowner who piped in his own boiler wanted us to wire it. Start filling it up. No pressure built up yet and after ten leaks I stop counting. Some of the pipes I unscrewed by hand. Just think of what he would do with csst

Comment

But nobody has any problem with Joe Hack running PEX do they even though there is the very real possibility that he will create a dangerous cross connection that has the potential to seriously harm a whole lot of people. And nobody has a problem with Joe Hack installing his own water heater or furnace or working on his oil burner or for that matter doing anything that requires a license because after all he is Joe Hack the homeowner and he can do whatever he wants with his property. Hell there are even tons of forums just like this one where licenced plumbers and electricians seem to have no problem helping Joe Hack realize his wildest dreams. You will please notice that I go out of my way to not give plumbing, heating, gas piping or oil burner advice to anyone that does not have a license.
                    sigpic

Comment

permit needs to be required at point of sale and if you are buying to stock up then a license # for the county or city you are buying in. This should be enforced at retail stores and supply house forget certifications journeyman's licenses or permit number or no sale! You know we all can be happy that the law states only a licensed plumber can do plumbing however i don't see how that can ever get enforced since anyone can walk in home depot and buy a water heater or sink with out a license.
                      Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

i wrote a whole thread about this over a year ago and even contacted the sales rep about my concerns.

you are suppse to be licensed to purchase the tubing. not the fittings according to the rep.

pretty much like buying spray paint. the register promps the cashier to check for a license.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

yea I read that it was at a supply house . But if law is only going to allow plumbing and gasfitting to be done by a licensed plumber/gasfitter and require a permit to be pulled for this licensed individual to do this type of work then how can code officials expect that work is being done legally when a permit and or license number is not required at point of sale? Truth is no one cares . Inspectors just throw up their hands and what can you do?

Comment

I think home depot and lows should be licensed to inspect there own products ! Also, have their own Elec. and plumbing codes.Of course, they would all need badges.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by 4thGenPlumber View Post
                              Nhmaster you must have some talented homeowners up there. Around here most people can't hang a picture on the wall without messing it up but they still try that's the scary part. We once got a call from a homeowner who piped in his own boiler wanted us to wire it. Start filling it up. No pressure built up yet and after ten leaks I stop counting. Some of the pipes I unscrewed by hand. Just think of what he would do with csst
                              I know plenty of homeowners that can hang a picture.

Doesn't take a genius to install CSST. Should they be doing it? HELL NO. And someone should sue lowes and home depot already and get that dangerous **** off the shelves.

I like how I have to be licensed to plumb. But a homeowner can straight up pipe in a bomb in his house that could level the neighborhood, but that's alright. I understand the argument of it's his house. But that doesn't protect my family and my property that sits 20 feet from his bomb.

They force you to wear seatbelts in your own car for your safety, why wouldn't they limit who has access to plumbing materials out of the safety of the homeowner and everyone he may affect? He can potentially poison the whole city. But, that's alright.

Comment

Working...
                              X