X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe The Plumber for Congress?

I was just scanning the headlines and was wondering how this guy has the balls to run for congress... I'm not sure he has a plumbing license yet. We are in trouble as a nation folks...

Re: Joe The Plumber for Congress?

He is not a plumber,that is widely known.

But he is right. He may not have any political experience, or know anything about polotics. But look at who we call the "experts" who we see fit to hold offices and make decisions for our country, our kids and us. How are they doing? Did you get a multi billion dollar handout when your business was about to go under?

I am here to tell you guys, he can't do any WORSE than what we have now.

Throw them all out I say. If you haven't WORKED for a living, how in the hell can you make any sort of educated decision related to the economy? It never affected you and never will. Put more WORKING men and women in offices. And do away with all the outrageous salaries. Sure, pay em that sort of salary, but for crying out loud they at least need to steer our country in a BETTER direction.

Like the ****ING IRS. What a load of ****. And our government thinks it is the best system. There are better ways out there, better systems, but the IRS is still around.

They would rather rule in he'll than serve in heaven.

Comment

Not being a plumber and not being a licensed plumber are two different things. There are good and bad plumbers who are licensed just as there are good and bad unlicensed plumbers. That said, I am so tired of seeing some of these people shops send out as "plumbers" I think it is time for mandatory licensing with major fines for violation. I also feel every license should require 10 CEU's per year.

Am I showing my age or what?

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Not being a plumber and not being a licensed plumber are two different things. There are good and bad plumbers who are licensed just as there are good and bad unlicensed plumbers. That said, I am so tired of seeing some of these people shops send out as "plumbers" I think it is time for mandatory licensing with major fines for violation. I also feel every license should require 10 CEU's per year.

Am I showing my age or what?

Mark
        California Blues

Comment

I find it quite humorous Master Plumbers calling Journeyman or Apprentices "Non Plumbers".

What a slap in the face to the Journeyman and apprentices we have on this forum.

Comment

I went through 4 yr apprentice,plus on the job training,and got my journeymans,then worked with that for 10 yrs,went to get my master and they changed the rules,got PO`ed because I had to go back to school to be taught what I already knew, at that time I was still young and did not want to have to drive 2 hrs twice a week for two months just so some one could see if I know what I know what I am doing.And I had to pay for it.So I kept my J licence and now after all these yrs I sit at a desk ,and when it happens I put up early warning sirens.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by cincy plumber; 08-26-2011, 02:13 AM.

Comment

wait.... Thats Me!! you guys are jerks

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              I find it quite humorous Master Plumbers calling Journeyman or Apprentices "Non Plumbers".

What a slap in the face to the Journeyman and apprentices we have on this forum.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I sit on the fence on this one Flux.

I have seen contractors that had gotten their plumbing license simply by beung the wife of the boss.
                I actually met a journeyman from Roto-rooter once. Had been there for 6 years and eventually got his llicense. then came to work for us. We called him Ninja Joe.

His first day he rode with me and we had to replace a shower flange. Simple job, whipped out the inside sutter (it was PVC, thank GOD!).
                He was in awe, he had NEVER seen a inside cutter before! He got fired probably a week later when the boss asked him a question. He liked to randomly quiz people to test their knowledge. So the boss asks Joe, "Joe if a toilet is rocking what would you use to shim it up?"
                I'm not kidding, his reply, and I put this on my son, was "I'd use a angle stop."
                I walked away at that point so I don't know what else was said.

My point is, neither your contractors license, or journeymans mean you are a PLUMBER.
                Well, scratch that. Having a license means you are a professional plumber, not a expert. And sometimes the journeyman is a better plumber than the boss, that is why he is the boss, not a plumber. Because he knows how to run the business better. Business. not calls. Now I'm not saying that applies to every contractor so don't go off the deep end on me!

And Joe the Plumber was probably a loose term McCain called him to kinda brand him as a normal working guy. Could have been a plumber, pipefitter, helper or whatever. Even maintenance man. Who knows. Google may know, but I don't care enough to look.

Comment

If I never did Plumbing before, and got a job tomorrow with a Plumbing company, I would be working as a Plumbing apprentice. Which means I'm working in the field of Plumbing, which would make me a Plumber.

If that statement is not correct, then what should we call Plumbing apprentices then?

Comment

I'm sorry but until you have at least 35-years into plumbing you are a "Non-Plumber".

Sometimes titles like Apprentice, Journeyman and Master have more to do with your time on the job rather than your talent.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      I'm sorry but until you have at least 35-years into plumbing you are a "Non-Plumber".

Sometimes titles like Apprentice, Journeyman and Master have more to do with your time on the job rather than your talent.

Mark
                      Come on Mark...you're being silly now!

Comment

If I never did Plumbing before, and got a job tomorrow with a Plumbing company, I would be working as a Plumbing apprentice. Which means I'm working in the field of Plumbing, which would make me a Plumber.

If that statement is not correct, then what should we call Plumbing apprentices then?
                        Apprentices are generally known as "apprentices" or "helpers"
                        Journeymen are generally known as "plumbers" or "the journeyman"
                        Contractors are generally known as "the boss" "the contractor" " master plumber" "the owner"

Those in the know, know who is what.
                        And those who don't call the guy that rang the doorbell the "plumber". The girl that answered the phone the "secretery". And the guy that runs the place "the owner".

But if you are calling your apprentice a plumber, you are giving him way too much credit in my opinion. I refer to my apprentices by name, and if asked by the customer what he is, I tell them "That is Fred, he is my apprentice."

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                          Apprentices are generally known as "apprentices" or "helpers"
                          Journeymen are generally known as "plumbers" or "the journeyman"
                          Contractors are generally known as "the boss" "the contractor" " master plumber" "the owner"

Those in the know, know who is what.
                          And those who don't call the guy that rang the doorbell the "plumber". The girl that answered the phone the "secretery". And the guy that runs the place "the owner".

But if you are calling your apprentice a plumber, you are giving him way too much credit in my opinion. I refer to my apprentices by name, and if asked by the customer what he is, I tell them "That is Fred, he is my apprentice."
                          I believe you are confusing the delineation a government entity or Union may use with the actual definition of a plumber.

Def: a person who installs and repairs piping, fixtures, appliances, and appurtenances in connection with the water supply, drainage systems, etc., both in and out of buildings.

I understand your position but there is a major difference between the definition of a plumber and the title an agency or a Union may award a plumber based on his ability.

Mark

Comment

Mark, I don't know about 35 years but if frosts my gonads that in my state it is possible to hold a Masters license and only be 21 1/2 years old. WTF is with that? Who in hell decided that some kid that is barely old enough to drink beer is a master at anything at all except for perhaps baiting
                            sigpic

Comment

I havent been plumbing for 35 years "hell im not even that old" but i my retired boss whos been doing in for 43 years gave me his company "yes gave as in no money no nothing" before working for him id met him once at a trades talk grade 12 so if a guy with over forty years experience has enough confidence in my ability to give me his customer base, rfer all work to me. How does that make me anythning other then a plumber. "learning is a measurable change in behaviour due to experience" i was two weeks away from righting my interprovincial exam when my little brother died very unexpected. I had no choice but to pack my stuff and head home.. after the dust had settled i went back to vancouver re did my hole forth year just to recieve my journeyman status. "there is no master ticket here" anyways i am a plumber and no one will tell me otherwise. Yes il only learn more and more but i hope i never get to an age where i think im better then u cause iv done something for longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X