Ferguson commercial I just saw, and general ruminations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferguson commercial I just saw, and general ruminations

There was this couple shown browsing on-line and in a showroom choosing fixtures for thier bath remodel, showing off the 'cool' things you can get at ferguson.

And at one point, the guy clicks a remote while standing next to the shower, with his hand holding the remote literally inside it, and the shower turns on, and he says how cool that is.

Does anyone really feel that they want a remote control for their shower? I guess they must, or it would not exist as a product. Am I just some kind of curmudgeony kill-joy that I cannot take delight in a cool feature? I think it's, not THE stupidest thing I've ever seen, but right up there on the useless feature list. And symptomatic of what 'innovation' and 'improvement' and 'invention' seem to have come to mean.

I really don't mind paying lots of $ for quality. I just fail to see that decorating a thing with features I can see no use for equals quality. Especially if you can't turn them off. My phone has taken hundreds of pictures of the inside of my pocket. I usually hear the digitized shutter clicking when I'm carrying something heavy.

I find it disheartening that there seems to be less and less of a market for simple, beautiful things. Things made well, with care given to their feel, and beauty rather than flash. And enough pride in them that they will be expected to be valued enough that someone will want to repair them rather than replace them at some point.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Ferguson commercial I just saw, and general ruminations

funny alex as i just stumbled upon the same shower 2 days ago in santa monica.

the shower assembly has a remote in the shower and outside by the light switch. the valving takes up an entire stud bay.

the overhead shower turns on then shuts off.

i don't know if he needs to call the geek squad, me or the electrician who was also present.

told him to contact the manufacturer/ ondine who furnished this setup 5 years ago.

pictures and links to follow.

i hope he's not out of luck as i just stumbled across this info. http://www.showerstore.com/support/w....php?br=Ondine

rick.

1 of 2 controllers that do everything. ones inside the shower and the other is outside by the lighting controls.

the overhead shower head with a fiber optic light in the center of it. http://directory.qualifiedremodeler....c_Light_Shower

1 of 2 controllers that are behind the shower in the closet. http://www.showerstore.com/ondine/de...9&brand=Ondine

notice all the low voltage wiring that this is connected to.

just to take a shower.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-26-2011, 01:46 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Bet he'd really enjoy turning a nce, heavy nickle plate handle and taking a shower right now. At least the back of the thing can be got to.

I wonder if I can get an app for my i-phone to turn my shower on?
      Last edited by Ace Sewer; 08-26-2011, 01:32 AM.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

All I can say is I would not want to have to trouble shoot that when it fails to do its job.

Comment

i hope he's not out of luck as i just stumbled across this info. http://www.showerstore.com/support/w....php?br=Ondine

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

So that means that you tear all that out and ship it back to them! Well they can have it,but if you have millions of dollars why F not.

Comment

Holy crap.
              WHY.

Why over complicated stuff like that? how long it take to install that beast? 4 days and 3-4 different trades?

Comment

Kiss
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

You guys don't get it...Or maybe you do.
                  There are a great many people with a bunch of money to throw away.
                  Our culture leans towards BLING FIRST.
                  I see the kids of this money.My age and older.Plumbers too.Their parents give them a $500,000 bump out of high school.Then more bumps every ten years or so when an uncle or some S*** passes away.These adult kids Piss money away like no other,screw the next gen..Some day this money will run out.Less and less kids getting one of mommy and daddy's houses for delivering newspapers one summer,"I earned it"..Yeah Right.
                  The rest of society sees this example and tries to emulate.They have no idea that they are competing against a punk with a bump,sure he works.Cruising down a previously groomed path.Old school doesn't fall for these impractical things so easily.

It's marketing's job to get that kid and his follower's money.
                  It'll burn out,not as fast as that shower valve...Still,it'll burn out.
                  Just make sure you get some before it's ALL gone

Comment

Is it not more of a sales tool in a semi custom home, or a model home?

in our area many of the houses are modular homes, (a slight step up from a trailer house IMO),
                    but many are sold, and all most with out fail the big sales pitch is the bath room area,
                    usually a lot of wasted space and a huge tub or some thing fancy in the showers, and many of these are sold on the "Luxurious" bath room,

I know on a number of "new homes" that have been put in, the people show you the kitchen and the living and then the Master bedroom, and then the Master bath room with all it gimmicks,
                    and want you to ooh and aw like it was the the best thing you had ever seen, as it impressed them,
                    and it is in a poorly built and nearly disposable house,
                    (I bet on many of these with the world pool tubs they are only used a few times, I know on my In laws, they eve tore the tub out as it was only used about three times and the wind blew up under it so bad, and the wanted the wasted room it took up in there master bath, (which was being used as an office as well),

may be I am wrong, here but I could see some thinking it was nearly the ultimate status symbol even tho it was a private thing.

status symbols come in many levels,

this was an observation I made a number of years ago, Do not know if this still holds, but I noticed very poor people some times use clothes as there symbol, and the little more money they have it may be there car, (not that the car is high dollar necessary, but usually customized),
                    then if there home owners usually the house, (or parts of it, may be the lawn or the new remodeled bath or kitchen)
                    and if there more than home owners it is usually in there business or next levels, (some times it is all levels),

I could see a shower like this selling a house in some situations,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Not to high jack the thread but it's somewhat related. Has anyone here installed one of the new Kohler Elevance Rising Wall Bathtubs? I'm installing one Monday and wondered if there were any tips? Had to take an online Kohler joke of a class to get certified to install one. 3 drain lines, one of which is 3" for one 60"x30" tub geezz, going to be fun.

Comment

I know a guy that has installed a few safety tubs, and last I seen he had literature for the Kohler tub on his desk. I know he hasn't installed one yet, but he may have some advice for ya.

Comment

Working...
                        X