Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timeout automatic washing machine valve timer shut off.

was at a plumbing supply vendor day/ in-n-out burger lunch today.

saw some new products and thought i would share 1 that was pretty interesting.

it's called the timeout. Keeney TIMEOUT Automatic Shut Off Valve

basically a spring wound washing machine shut off valve. you pull the lever to set the valve clock in motion. up to 2.5 hours and when the timer winds down, the valve shuts off. all mechanical, no power required. it will also retrofit the symmons and watts dual hot cold valve.

the issue with most washing machine floods is broken hoses. but there have been issues with washing machine electric fill valves not shutting off. the machine keeps filling.

the timeout valve will not prevent a broken hose or a machine that keeps filling, but it will prevent a bigger than normal flood. especially when the owner never shuts off the water valves when they finish washing.

i would like to see a similar valve that is designed for separate hot and cold bibbs.

anyone using one?

i'm willing to give it a test drive.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: timeout automatic washing machine valve timer shut off.

Is this a good product to invest in? Has it worked as promised?

Comment

It sounds like an OK idea but based on your description I would not want one. I already use the Watts units that keep the water off to the hoses and the power off to the washer when it is not in use. They make a unit that can retrofit onto your existing valves as well. It is a very simple setup that has worked well for me and the customers I have installed them for.

Comment

Mckinley-Ross has a whole house protection device that installs where the line comes into the house. Has 2 solenoids on it. The main solenoid is normally closed. There are wireless flow sensors that will be installed on all faucets, dishwasher, icemaker, washing machine, ect. (for showers/tubs they make motion sensor to keep from cutting open walls.) There is a control panel that mounts on wall near main valve and you'll program sensors from that. When you open faucet, the solenoid opens allowing water to flow. When you shut the water off, solenoid closes. In the event that there is a water leak before the sensors, after a drop in 1 psi, the main valve will remain closed and a second solenoid which has been piped to the outside of home will purge the water out off the lines, eliminating a flood in the first place. You can also set time values for certain fixtures so that if you have a teenager that takes 30min showers, you can set to where it cuts off @ 10min. They're also trying to link it to your home security system and allow it to message your cell when there has been a flood.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber26 View Post
          Mckinley-Ross has a whole house protection device that installs where the line comes into the house. Has 2 solenoids on it. The main solenoid is normally closed. There are wireless flow sensors that will be installed on all faucets, dishwasher, icemaker, washing machine, ect. (for showers/tubs they make motion sensor to keep from cutting open walls.) There is a control panel that mounts on wall near main valve and you'll program sensors from that. When you open faucet, the solenoid opens allowing water to flow. When you shut the water off, solenoid closes. In the event that there is a water leak before the sensors, after a drop in 1 psi, the main valve will remain closed and a second solenoid which has been piped to the outside of home will purge the water out off the lines, eliminating a flood in the first place. You can also set time values for certain fixtures so that if you have a teenager that takes 30min showers, you can set to where it cuts off @ 10min. They're also trying to link it to your home security system and allow it to message your cell when there has been a flood.
          How does a system like this handle a hot water boiler or a steam boiler? These need makeup water 24/7 or you've got the makings of a bomb. How will it deal with other low volume demands like ice makers? Are the sensors sensitivite enough to react to the needs of appliances like those I mention? What happens when I am away for three days; the battery in the wireless sensor dies; and my boiler needs water???
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

well, i didn't say they were for every application. not sure how it would work as there aren't many boilers around here and that wasn't a question that i thought of asking the rep.. Yes, icemakers, dishwashers, even can store how much water it's supposed to take to fill your toilet so if the fill valve sticks and the toilet is stopped up, it won't flood. They only have a 3/4'' model residentially right now. I haven't tried one yet but will let you know when i do. Here, www.nomorewaterdamage.com

Comment

there was a similar system on display several years ago at a trade show. it used a temperature sensor that would sense if fresh water came into the building once the system was manually activated when you left the house just like an alarm system.

it was expensive and saw many issues with it. that was the first and last time i've seen it at a trade show i've attended.

remember the phrase "kiss" keep it simple stupid

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I'll try almost anything once

Comment

I just watched the new season of "Ask This Old House"
                  Richard installed a washing machine manual timed shut off valve.
                  I'm not impressed with it having a mechanical timer.

I searched for automatic styles and found an OnSitePro FS3/4NP model.
                  It seems the Watts units do not get very good user reviews [Amazon]

Anyone have experience with the OnSitePro products?
                  -or- are there any recommendations for a specific quality product that is similar?

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    How does a system like this handle a hot water boiler or a steam boiler? These need makeup water 24/7 or you've got the makings of a bomb. How will it deal with other low volume demands like ice makers? Are the sensors sensitivite enough to react to the needs of appliances like those I mention? What happens when I am away for three days; the battery in the wireless sensor dies; and my boiler needs water???
                    Your hot water or steam boiler should have a low water cut off installed. If your heating system needs that much make up water while your away for three days, you have problems.
                    26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                      I just watched the new season of "Ask This Old House"
                      Richard installed a washing machine manual timed shut off valve.
                      I'm not impressed with it having a mechanical timer.

I searched for automatic styles and found an OnSitePro FS3/4NP model.
                      It seems the Watts units do not get very good user reviews [Amazon]

Anyone have experience with the OnSitePro products?
                      -or- are there any recommendations for a specific quality product that is similar?

Cactus Man

It looks as if they are a distributor or subsidiary (actually don't know if they are affiliated) of "FloodStop" automatic shutoff valves.

www.getfloodstop.com

I have installed some with happy customers and no callbacks. The little solenoid motor doesn't feel very industrial to me. However, testing it at installation several times it did what it is supposed to do.

Personally, I like the idea of a mechanical timer. I'm sure it will wear and become inaccurate at some point. But it's not that crucial for it to be accurate. And everything I run into that's "new and improved" & has an electronic control board goes crazy at some time. Usually a premature failure with downtime & unwarranted costs.

Comment

Working...
                      X