Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Angle stops

not that i don't believe in propress

but honestly, it takes me literally seconds to tighten up a compression stop. plus the majority of our stub outs are too short to cut off and reconnect new. that's why i have a few styles of ferrule pullers and cutters.

old school compression stops were a coarse thread and the last 20-25 years are fine thread. if the nut is the same, i'll keep it on and swap the stop only.

the real bummers come from old 1 pc. toilet where there is little to no room to fit a wrench and hold back to swap stops without pulling the toilet. fortunately that only happens every couple years where i can't work around the toilet.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I don't think there is a bigger pain in the azz than changing angle stops in a small lavy sink cabinet. I cringe every time I have to do it. But then again it's my own fault, I'm a little larger than what I used to be than when I started this business.

Comment

Yes it can be a pain..What's nice though is when you unscrew the compression stop and the nut just wiggles off with the ferrule..Very rare though..When that doesn't happen out comes the Pasco puller..awsome little puller .There are some buildings that I have done work in that will not allow you to change the stop and leave the existing nut and ferrule.They have leaked on me in the past also. If you can slide the nut back and get pipe dope between the nut and ferrule that helps, other times teflon tape works too..
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Rick
          West Coast covers a lot of area. Other than for the aforementioned wcs, northern ca (I can't speak for San Francisco, they still may be using 1/2" ips x 3/8" comp OR17's ) hasn't used 1/2" od stops for a generation. OCR19's have been the standard since the mid 80's.
          Last edited by Plumbus; 09-06-2011, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
            I have some 1/2" fip x 1/2" o.d compression straight stops. I use them on leg tubs or those "special" toilets. brasscraft rules the roost here......alot of times I just throw new parts in an old stop as there is nothing wrong with the brass body 99.9% of the time
            That's a new one for me. Never heard of anyone rebuilding an angle stop. I guess it's possible. I've never carried guts for an angle stop before.

Comment

Never realized they made a ferrule puller.

So I guess I don't have to cringe anymore when I see them..

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                If you can slide the nut back and get pipe dope between the nut and ferrule that helps, other times teflon tape works too..
                You know how sometimes someone has a method that works great and has served them well for years, so it should be a non issue, but for some reason it drives you wild?

Pipe dope/tape on a compression fitting is that way for me, when I see my guys do it I give them trash Every single time.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

1/2 by 3/8 here to and i always use compresion just hate saudering in a vanity full of cleaning supplies and crap. I usually stub out of the wall with copper even if the house is pex i hate saggy stops. I do however use 1/2 bye 1/2 stops and braided supplies for cast iron tubs if its not super visible. "off topic but always run 3/4 pex into tubs divertors to, since the extra volume is nice when filling up a tub" ps i to usually try to reuse the old nut if its brasscraft, lots of watts stops here thou. Thanks god for my ridgid "speedy" wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                    I've never actually seen a sweat supply stop in a home, and copper is ubiquitous here too...
                    Please use smaller words. Besides being a live spell check, now you are making me be a dictionary! I just don't have time for this!
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Swet and press stops are surely great, but compresion works justtttt fine.

And I cringe when I go to change a supply line on a toilet and see that freaking 1/2 inch looking pipe running from the stop to the toilet, cause it's off with the water on them

Personally never rebuilt a angle stop, will def keep that in mind, Thanks Master!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                        ToutahNow posted the tip about pulling the ferrul off with a PP stem and handle pullers a couple years ago. He a wise owl. I heard he was kin to Yoda.
                        My brain must not be working today.

Can someone clarify what is meant by "PP stem"?

thanks

In the Chicago area, I only see sweat stops on about 5% of the copper stub outs that I see.

We have used compression for a long time and that is what I see most often (95% of the time)

Comment

Swade I am proud to say out of that 5% you seen I put in just about all of them.. .lol
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I don't doubt it Ron!

I don't have a problem with sweat stops, I just don't see them that often. I guess I'm just a creature of habit....and I'm not quite as old school as you. There are a couple old timer inspectors that I come across that want sweat stops though.

Anyone else have issues with the 1/4 turn stops not giving a 100% shut off right out of the box?

The last few brasscraft 1/4 turn stops that I have put in have had this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                              That's a new one for me. Never heard of anyone rebuilding an angle stop. I guess it's possible. I've never carried guts for an angle stop before.
                              for $6 and change, I'll continue to go new
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                                for $6 and change, I'll continue to go new
                                true, but sometimes it's just a packing nut that needs replacing. those can be done without shutting off the system, just the stop.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X