X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle stops

Any time I'm changing out a fixture I install new 1/4 turn angle stops. Where I live and work ,It's 5/8"x3/8" compression stops. Do You prefer 5/8"x1/2" ? Thank You
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Angle stops

Where I live, it's 99.99% 5/8"x3/8". Can't recall a fixture needing the 1/2". Maybe a hospital fixture or two.

Pretty much prefer and only need the 3/8".

J.C.

Comment

99% 3/8" I'm not sure my little supply house has the 1/4 turn in 5/8"x 1/2", guess I better look in the morning...

Comment

tool, the west coast has always been 1/2'' slip joint connections. the rest of the country is 3/8''.

now with the lead free requirements, seems like all the faucets are 3/8'' connectors.

also 3/8'' compression is less expensive than 1/2'' slip joint.

please don't tell me you solder on your stops

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I solder stops on and I am proud of it.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            I solder stops on and I am proud of it.
            Compression only here are u saying sweat stops or mip by fip stops?

Comment

sweat stops, when there is copper.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That's weird how the West Coast is compression stops...East Coast is sweat stops. (You're with us Ron..lol)

Like I said before, and I know this will fire up the West Coast guys, if I was to install a compression stop I would be called a "Hack" here. lol

If it's copper...it better be sweated on around here.

Comment

I think compression stops are fine for the most part. Put on my share. Just lowered the percentage of problems with sweat for whatever reason.

What I don't get is the 1/2" supply out?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I think compression stops are fine for the most part. Put on my share. Just lowered the percentage of problems with sweat for whatever reason.

What I don't get is the 1/2" supply out?

J.C.
                    I always keep a set of compression stops for emergencies only.

I agree with you on the 1/2" supply out!

Comment

it's not 1/2'' od compression. the kohler 1 pc. required 1/2'' od for a proper fill and flush on the 1 pc. toilets.

it's 1/2'' slip joint. the same connection that is on the shanks of faucet and 4'' center sets.

so the flex connectors are 1/2'' x 1/2'' x 12'',16''or 20''

3/8'' is the most common size across the nation. 1/2'' slip joint is the most common out here.

but like i said, the 3/8'' is less costly and will soon be a west coast thing too as faucets are now coming with 3/8'' connectors built in.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

For the record, where I come from...

I've never actually seen a sweat supply stop in a home, and copper is ubiquitous here too...

Comment

No sweat Rick ! You're a good teacher!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

TM and Rick is right...there were some Kohler toilets with 1/2" supply's maybe a Case...there are some Kohler lavatory faucets here from the 50's and 60's that have 1/2" supply but are easy to recognize by the cross handle on the stop.....but mostly sweat stops here that will get converted to compression in 1/2" X 3/8"...
                            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

All of you have it wrong. West coast and East Coast. Here in the Midwest we PROPRESS all of our stops on!

No kidding, I do! Though I use a 1/2"FIP x 3/8 stop, I use a Propress 1/2" male adapter into the stop. Instead of screwing around trying to tighten a compression nut under a sink or trying to sweat it on while trying to breathe I just press a button and it's done. Not all will have enough copper sticking out to cut off the old stop but I would say 90% do. I also screw on my supply before I attach the angle stop to the pipe, saves a lot of time and effort.
                              Ridgid thought it was cool, they sent me a box of hand tools for my idea! I wanted a new PP tool but they wouldn't go for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X