Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anode Rod

OK, boys here is in interesting story.

I gave everyone the holiday off and decided to handle all emg. calls. On Saturday evening I get a call from a long standing customer we installed a water softener and R.O. for a long time ago. (A friend of my attorney, (who happens to be an attorney himself))

The call is about gray water in the toilets, water coming out cloudy throughout the house, etc... I make the pilgrimage at 8:00pm to investigate because they think there is something wrong with the water softener.

I check the softener, everything A.O.K. Check the toilets upstairs, (problem area), and sure enough they have gray water in them. Flush them a couple of times, gray water still there. No issue in downstairs toilet. Run some hot water into a glass in the kitchen, gray water. Cold water no problem.

So I start asking questions. Customer says they had a contractor they know install a new W.H. about 90 days ago. Go out and check, its a Lowe's Whirpool unit.

I grab a bucket and flush two gallons out of the water out of the heater. It fills with crapola, that looked like Calcium. Did an acid test on the particulate matter and got no reaction, plus they have soft water on the whole house.

Flushed the water heater out and told them I think it was the Anode rod in the water heater, but everything looked OK. (remember this is a Bro-Deal customer call) Leave.

Get a call Labor day afternoon. Wife is P.O.ed. Dish Machine no longer fills. She now has gone on line and tried to self-educate herself, (bad move) Anyways I end up on the phone for 45 minutes with them, while I am at a volunteer event for my kids new school.

So, I go over there today, and narrow the problem down. Pull the Anode rod out of the is piece of 'S' Whirpool heater and the thing is showing serious signs of deterioration. Call up Whirpool C.S. and they say "oh, yeah,.... you need an Anode rod model xyz, that should solve the problem..... then they proceed to tell me that this is not a warrantied item and the customer will have to pay for the "NEW IMPROVED ROD", I say, Hey I got one better, how about I just pull this thing take it back to Lowe's and return it.....

Anyways you guys get the jest of the conversation.

Has anyone heard of an Anode rod deteriorating so fast, (less then 90 days) that it would cause angle stops through out the house to clog, gray water etc...

Oh, and PS, the customer had the City out on Labor day and they swear up and down they had nothing to do with the water quality change.

(oh and to top it off the contractor installed the new WH without any expansion tank, which explains the gray water in the upstairs toilets, (ie: tie in for the cold supply to upstairs is off the cold supply to the water heater)

Re: Anode Rod

try a magnesium rod instead of the junk aluminum rods.
    i too installed an anode rod yesterday on labor day at a friends 6 gallon camping trailer. combination electric and lp.

heater never had a rod. this retrofits into the 1/2'' drain plug.

talk about crap coming out. used a 1/4'' poly hose inside the drain to flush it for 30 minutes and finally got it clean. i believe the tank is aluminum.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have 1 customer that was eating anode rods within 30 days, and there was no room for an acid neutralizer cause she lives in a mobile home. She shares a well from her neighbors, and it's the most screwed up situation I've ever seen.

When this water heater goes, we are putting in the Rheem Marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
        When you say "gray" water I think washing machine drain water...bathtub drain water. Not the color. Anyway its not the water heater manufacturers fault.

I don't see your connection between the 'gray" water and the cold side connection for the upstairs? It shouldn't;t have been in the cold water line and having an expansion tank wouldn't solve any of your problems or cause any of the problems you listed.
        I usually describe waste water from laundry's etc. with parenthesis, IE: "gray water". In this case the water was gray.

With regards to the water in the cold side, I see this all the time, especially in commercial applications. Thermal expansion from the heater backs up into the cold water supply, and is pulled into the cold water when a 'T' is located within a foot or two of the water heater inlet. When we install water softener systems to the cold side of any water heater our policy is to install a spring check , just so that this thermal expansion cannot back into the softener tank.

Master, I have been in this business since 1982. I have installed tens of thousands of water softener units, and all these years, of all these installations I have never seen an anode rod sacrifice to the degree this one has in less then 90 days. "Not the Manufactures Fault". I don't buy it, especially when they were willing to sell the customer, plus shipping charges an Anode rod that would not have the same problem. I see that as planed obsolescence and the use of an inferior product to cut production costs. Funny how I never have this problem with a Rheem or Bradford White heater!

Comment

Take it out and leave it out.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Take it out and leave it out.
            That's what we ended up doing.

Comment

Yep and if the water heater craps the bed before the warranty runs out........stuff a new anode rod in there before you take it in
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Yep and if the water heater craps the bed before the warranty runs out........stuff a new anode rod in there before you take it in
                you have to return the water heaters under warranty? I never had to do that...they just want the sticker here.

But anyways, since we took out the anode rod a few years ago, I haven't heard a peep since.

Comment

Working...
                X