Blue Glue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Glue?

From reading the other post I am curious how many plumbers use the "hot" blue glue. If I'm doing a larger remodel job I'll use the regular glue but for service work and smaller jobs I exclusively use the blue glue all the time. It does set up a lot faster and on service work I don't have time to stand around waiting for the glue to dry all day for testing. I'm talking mostly about pvc drains, not pressure pipe. I'll usually give it a half hour before testing on drains and have never had a problem with it.

Re: Blue Glue?

I use Black Swan Clear All Weather regular Bodied very fast set cement and their Purple Primer (not the primer/cleaner) and when you join your pipes you best be sure you wanted them joined. My helper put togahter a pipe and realized in 30 seconds after the fact he put the wrong fitting on, for the life of him he could not get the joint apart again.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

We use 99% ABS for drains out here, but for water I use Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue and their purple primer for almost all my joints. If I'm using larger diameter schedule 80 pipe and fittings, then I will usually use the gray glue and purple primer.

With as hot as it gets out here, I usually turn the water back on between 15 minutes and 1 hour, depending on pipe size. In the winter, I usually wait longer.

I won't say I have never had a leak with my method, but they are few and far between.

Comment

Ranger, you talking about this blue stuff? PVC Rain R Shine Blue Cement :: Oatey.com

I have some that I use on sump and ejector pumps. It's kinda messy though. They claim that you do not need to use primer with this stuff (where allowed by code) but I prime. I only use it on 1.5" and 2" schedule 40 PVC.

For rough-in work I use Oatey Purple Primer and Gold label (standard body clear cement) on 1.5" and 2" and the Green label Medium body on 3"-6".

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          I use Black Swan Clear All Weather regular Bodied very fast set cement and their Purple Primer (not the primer/cleaner) and when you join your pipes you best be sure you wanted them joined. My helper put togahter a pipe and realized in 30 seconds after the fact he put the wrong fitting on, for the life of him he could not get the joint apart again.
          Ron, I normally use a very thick bodied cement to reduce drippage. When I want something to set fast I use a PVC cement (Either IPS or Oatey... forget which) called Wet Set. It sets very quickly at room temp. How fast? 30 seconds seems a bit long. )
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            Ron, I normally use a very thick bodied cement to reduce drippage. When I want something to set fast I use a PVC cement (Either IPS or Oatey... forget which) called Wet Set. It sets very quickly at room temp. How fast? 30 seconds seems a bit long. )

I clicked on Ron's link to the Black Swan Purple Primer product page and found this statement to be quite funny:

What to do if the PURPLE PRIMER is spilled!
            Our best advice is to become a religious person and just start praying. This maybe your best option. The only other advice we can offer is to use Black Swan's CLEAR PRIMER to dilute the purple color. Depending on the type of surface and the quantity spilled will determine if this solution works.

Had to put the quote in purple for the effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
              Ranger, you talking about this blue stuff? PVC Rain R Shine Blue Cement :: Oatey.com

I have some that I use on sump and ejector pumps. It's kinda messy though. They claim that you do not need to use primer with this stuff (where allowed by code) but I prime. I only use it on 1.5" and 2" schedule 40 PVC.

For rough-in work I use Oatey Purple Primer and Gold label (standard body clear cement) on 1.5" and 2" and the Green label Medium body on 3"-6".
              Yup that's the stuff, Rain or Shine. I think there are different manufactures of the stuff too.

Comment

I'm may be the only one, and I'm not a plumber or I couldn't get away with it. We use Oatey clear glue. No primer. Put it on both pieces, slide it together, give it a quarter twist and turn on the pump. I used the purple primer almost 30 years ago on two inch PVC, waited about half hour, turned on the pump and got drowned. Haven't used it since. We don't have any leaks, no fittings blowing apart either.

The Oatey Blue Glue is nice if you can't get the water to quit running back, but it looks like H--l. I know some pump guys that use it all the time. It makes their jobs look like a weekend warrior did it.
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

It only makes a mess if you slop it on like a handy man! I use the stuff and I'm very careful with it. When I'm done all you see is a blue line around the fitting, no mess. Well,,, I have spilled it a couple of times! What a mess that makes! Now days I try and put down something under my cans and where I'm working, it's worth the extra couple of minutes.

Funny and true story: And this was in my own house, always happens to your own home. I was working in my office up on a ladder (9' ceiling) had the ceiling open and was cutting out an old tub drum trap with the sawzall. My son was standing by so I could hand him the drum trap. Had a five gallon bucket on the floor on a small tarp to catch the black GOOK. Well..... I made the the last cut on the galvanized and missed the drum trap, fell out of my hand, hit the bucket right on the edge, bucket went flying and BLACK GOOK all over the white carpet and white walls. Looked like something exploded in the room.
                  Then.... as my son was trying to clean up the mess I was putting the new pvc trap together and had a quart of purple primer up on the ladder, you know what happened. Yup dropped the can and had purple primer all over the carpet and walls.
                  Just then my wife got home and walked in the room, OUCH!
                  Had to pull all the carpet, wash the walls and primer and paint the walls. What a great day!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X