Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: material Perceptions

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
    Thanks for all the input ...

The public is Not ready to go "Green" The S-10 uses 1/3 the fuel of the F-250 van

and how much pollution and resources does it take to run a torch for 30+ minutes of acetylene torch use

Compared to crimping .... Then there is the Torch inside the house Liability ...

I can do a heater in pex in 1/2 the time as Sweat ...
    '
    The S10 may use less fuel but since you're making multiple trips for parts I don't see the savings in fuel or in your time.
    Pex has it's place, I use a lot of it. Installing water heaters with a short piece of pex to existing copper is just wrong in my opinion and I'm pretty sure it's not legal for gas water heaters.
    How do you install your brass pex adapters to the copper?

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
      Thanks for all the input ...

The public is Not ready to go "Green" The S-10 uses 1/3 the fuel of the F-250 van

and how much pollution and resources does it take to run a torch for 30+ minutes of acetylene torch use

Compared to crimping .... Then there is the Torch inside the house Liability ...

I can do a heater in pex in 1/2 the time as Sweat ...

Probably run my torch a total of 30 minutes in 2 months.

I mean, if you are going to split hairs like that, then shouldn't you be driving a electric vehicle? Oh, wait, takes resources and pollutes to produce energy. So you are going to want to go horse and cart to your next call.

the "green" argument is pretty weak when you just crap all over the environment with your gas fired engine s-10. Plus as pointed out, how much gas are you saving with trips to the supply house on most EVERY call?

I am all for going green here and there, but really? A torch? That is like the least pollutable thing I do all day..

And soldering up a few fittings on a water heater for me is maybe, maybe 5 minutes. Been through this on the pro press thread. If you are spending that much time on a water heater because of soldering, then not sure what to say.
      Last edited by stolen; 09-11-2011, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
        '
        The S10 may use less fuel but since you're making multiple trips for parts I don't see the savings in fuel or in your time.
        Pex has it's place, I use a lot of it. Installing water heaters with a short piece of pex to existing copper is just wrong in my opinion and I'm pretty sure it's not legal for gas water heaters.
        How do you install your brass pex adapters to the copper?
        Those brass pex adapters fit perfectly into any ProPress fitting very, very, nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
          Those brass pex adapters fit perfectly into any ProPress fitting very, very, nicely.

I use Viega Pex and Propress products, and they make a Propress x pex fitting for transition from copper to pex. There is no need for solder at all. That's why I think Viega is truly cornering the market.

Comment

I have lowered my copper wh conections to a straight up 3/4 mip adap and use a 3/4" nut to nut cop flex
            It will last as long as the new water heater and is easy to change out the next time

Comment

Thanks again !

Very helpful I try to keep my running around to a minimum ...

I run a loop each day and plan work accordingly ... most jobs are close to the shop and most parts are there ... if something is any distance I will run the Larger van with larger inventory ...

Comment

I usually put the same material back in that came out. I carry a galvanized nipple tray, a selection of sweat fittings, and a pex box. I'll use a flex connector if thats how it was put in there, but only if it isn't copper, copper the Mips get cut off and they get hard piped.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I never use a flex. If it's harder to take apart they'll call you next time.

J.C.

Comment

HATE the copper flexes. Locke carries a new stainless flex that is mucho better-o in my opinion.

Comment

For the record I wouldn't ever hire a plumber who showed up in a Honda Accord, diesel pickup w/ stacks, or a small truck without a rack on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                        For the record I wouldn't ever hire a plumber who showed up in a Honda Accord, diesel pickup w/ stacks, or a small truck without a rack on it.
                        And I probably would not work for you if I had to work out of something other than the perceived norm and it made you uncomfortable. I get your point though, a certain percentage have been conditioned to believe that appearance=knowledge and quality. A person or company could be losing that demographic.

P.S. I've been called before after the guys in the new trucks with racks couldn't figure things out. True....

J.C.
                        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-11-2011, 10:19 PM.

Comment

This thread as made me laugh. For one its illegal here to run pex into a tank. Iv never used copper flexs take them out when ever i see them.. seen several brass craft ones pin hole "electrolisis perhaps?" I do how ever use braided supplies that are stainless steel quite often. If you installed the tank several years ago and didnt put unions in thats your choice. Personally if its copper i usually will leave it copper unless advised to do otherwise. As far has vehicles go, that was funny i just sold my 95 f 250 diesel 5" exhaust chipped 6" lift and 35" toyo's. So i can relate to customers not likeing loud obtrusive vehicles at the same time when im not driving my service van. Il go check out jobs in my lil subaru and know that im thinking bout maybe customers are concerned seeing it... The same time i hope my work speaks for itself yet you need the job to show off your work? Anyways found this thread interesting thanks sean.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            And I probably would not work for you if I had to work out of something other than the perceived norm and it made you uncomfortable. I get your point though, a certain percentage have been conditioned to believe that appearance=knowledge and quality. A person or company could be losing that demographic.

P.S. I've been called before after the guys in the new trucks with racks couldn't figure things out. True....
                            J.C.
                            Amen,
                            Posers see the pros and emulate to the enth degree.Obviously the truck is the first thing they acquire.A good line of Bullsh*t is second.Knowledge comes last.
                            Dang good looking plumbing trucks though.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                              So, your telling me that if you were referred to a tradesman that had a reputation of doing excellent work but showed up in his lifted diesel you wouldn't hire him? But you would hire the guy driving the fancy looking work van that you saw in home depots parking lot... amazing...

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                                So, your telling me that if you were referred to a tradesman that had a reputation of doing excellent work but showed up in his lifted diesel you wouldn't hire him? But you would hire the guy driving the fancy looking work van that you saw in home depots parking lot... amazing...
                                You're putting words in my mouth.

I guess most of you guys missed one of the words in the title of this thread.

PERCEPTION.

I probably wouldn't appreciate you showing up wearing sweat pants and old gym shoes either.
                                Last edited by dlarrivee; 09-11-2011, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X