Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

material Perceptions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: material Perceptions

    Not responding to anyone just speaking in general terms here. Your vehicle is the FIRST thing customers see and it's the first impression of you they get.
    How do I do it?,,,, -- I take pride in my work and my appearance and it shows character and a sense of being responsible. You don't need a brand new truck or van, all you need is something that actually looks like a plumbing truck, clean, and professional looking. Some vinyl lettering, doesn't cost much. I also wear a uniform, collared shirt with my company name and my name on it. A hat with the company logo. My van is stocked and ready to go and I rarely have to run for parts or faucets, or a toilet etc. for service work. Does that make me a better plumber than you? No it doesn't but the customer could care less, they call for a professional and they expect a professional to show up. Taking pride in your appearance (vehicle or self) says a lot about you to the customer.
    I don't care how anyone else does it but I will say this, if you want to portray yourself as a hack then that's what you can expect others to think of you no matter what kind of work you do and that's just the plain ugly truth.
    Seriously I would be so freaking embarrassed to pull up at a customers house in a car or mini pickup with hardly any parts or tools or wearing grungy clothes, I just couldn't do it. I wouldn't do it. To each their own I guess.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: material Perceptions

      Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      Amen,
      Posers see the pros and emulate to the enth degree.Obviously the truck is the first thing they acquire.A good line of Bullsh*t is second.Knowledge comes last.
      Dang good looking plumbing trucks though.
      Don't see it here, our licensing system is 100% different than in California (I've had both). Posers don't get to be posers here. Here you have to earn it (there you take a quick test, anyone can get a license in Ca.) but since I was out there for many years I know where you're coming from. I can honestly say that I've never seen a service company here driving around in a car or any other unprofessional vehicle. When I was in Northern California I saw it all the time. The station wagon with the pipe sticking out the back window was classic! Once again, just the plain ugly truth.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: material Perceptions

        Ironranger is on the right track.

        I'm baffled by the guys who run their own businesses but don't see the need for a professional appearance.

        The old "My work speaks for itself" only applies if I can see work you've done elsewhere, it doesn't mean a thing if you're at my front step looking like you just rolled out of bed and your dirty-truck is parked the wrong way on my street...

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: material Perceptions

          If beeing in debt 40000 $ makes you look professional count me out my vans a 1989 very clean. No rust no logos either but its full of everything I usually need to do the job. Actually I picked it up off a customer that was crying broke He owed me 400$ He was the original owner and at a 180000km I wasn't gona say no. Eventually id like a cube van or dodge sprinter and as far as logos it will come but not on this van. As far as looking professional I try and stay clean cut ish and always wear my carharts stay away from wearing hats. For the most part I find good communication, polite and just common courtesies go along way my van pretty organized " most of the time anyways" but I had a competitor it town for about a month He had very few tools " would call and ask to rent mine occasionally" but He had a vw jetta He couldn't compete when u turn down a hot water tank job cause you can't pick it up.. its hard to earn a reputation.

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: material Perceptions

            So hows that big ole kuv gaszilla treat ya on free estimates? Or basic sewer cleanouts?

            If all you are doing is cleaning sewers, a small truck would be sooooOOoO much better than a full size plumbing rig.

            and how many of you guys run shops that you couldn't set up a small truck and make money with it? Don't tell me when ole miss mary jane calls in with a 2 handle faucet that is leaking you HAVE to send your biggest truck out, load up the jetter and the track hoe behind it and go see what is wrong.

            Why would you bring a track hoe and the jetter? Well ****, your gaszilla is full of alot of other **** you won't need for that call. You know good and well you could run a great deal of very profitable professional service out of a s-10. I have crap in my truck that I "need" that I have had in my truck for months.

            Sure am glad I have all that stuff. Because I STILL have to make runs to the parts house occasionally.

            And on the braided flex lines to the water heater, reminds me of garden hoses. Look about as good too. Should run pex up to them for the full effect.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: material Perceptions

              Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
              He had a vw jetta He couldn't compete when u turn down a hot water tank job cause you can't pick it up.. its hard to earn a reputation.
              HEY! I work out of a VW Jetta, but I do use my truck when I need to move material I can't really stuff into the car. I am not a plumber,(waiting for the ink to dry on my GC license) if I was, for certain I would have an old Uhaul truck for hauling almost everything the supply house carries. For now I plan my jobs and get the next days material and tools I need on the way home or on the way in with the appropriate vehicle.


              My customers, mostly seniors care more about the work being done and the price they are paying. I know I loose out on the big jobs, but in all honesty, I don't want the big jobs.


              The car is not lowered, it really does have that much weight in it.

              I have my flame suit on, go ahead, I deserve it.
              Last edited by masterbeavis; 09-12-2011, 12:12 AM.
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: material Perceptions

                Personally I don't have a fleet I have my personal car and my van I had a short box v6 gmc half ton before my f250 and I sold them both cause I never had what I needed canopys suck.. and we get a lot of snow. If I only can afford one business vehicle id rather take more then I need then never have what I need. Or have the perfect tool for the job fortyfive min away in my shop. I like flex supplies there quick and people like them a lot of calcium here and summer homes the home owner can drain the tank poor some clr or antifreeze in the tank.. or whatever they desire to do! Last but not least I do between 3 and 7,jobs a day " with the exception of full house rough ins." So I usually. Driving to the job and looking at it then fixing it. I don't look and then come back in a day or two. Unless I'm waiting on parts that is. No offense to the car drivers just doesn't work for me.
                Last edited by seanny deep; 09-12-2011, 12:01 AM.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: material Perceptions

                  I can fill a shortbed pickup level to the top of the bed with the tools I have crammed into the trunk of my Jetta.

                  My incognito dump truck, worth its weight in gold. (the bed really dumps)


                  The truck I use for when I have to swoop by home Depot and grab some day laborers and keep the tools safe in the back


                  Professional looking, not really, but I get the job done, my customers are happy, and I sleep with no regrets at night.
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: material Perceptions

                    Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                    HEY! I work out of a VW Jetta, but I do use my truck when I need to move material I can't really stuff into the car. I am not a plumber,(waiting for the ink to dry on my GC license) if I was, for certain I would have an old Uhaul truck for hauling almost everything the supply house carries. For now I plan my jobs and get the next days material and tools I need on the way home or on the way in with the appropriate vehicle.


                    My customers, mostly seniors care more about the work being done and the price they are paying. I know I loose out on the big jobs, but in all honesty, I don't want the big jobs.


                    The car is not lowered, it really does have that much weight in it.

                    I have my flame suit on, go ahead, I deserve it.

                    You still have that old full size station wagon with the back window broken out? LOL Unbelievable!!!
                    You just said you're not a plumber, you live in Ca. and don't have a C36 and you're doing plumbing calls from a Jetta? Ok, good luck with that.

                    I really don't think you're serious and this is a joke. I'm not playing along anymore. Have a good day. I think I saw that place on an episode of Hoarders the other night! LOL JK!!!!!!!!!!!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: material Perceptions

                      It's obvious this forum has a FEW non professionals showing up. This forum is for PROFESSIONAL PLUMBERS or those who are "on their way" to becoming a PROFESSIONAL PLUMBER. Not for people who work as a handyman for a company or for those who have no ambition to become professional, unlicensed, and work out of their trunks and like to brag about it! Ridgid has a board for you people, it's called ASK THE EXPERTS!
                      Best thing to do is if they continue to post on this board is to IGNORE THEM. Don't feed the trolls, don't offer advice.



                      I thought I would never say this but..... THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS "WITH" PICTURES!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: material Perceptions

                        Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        You still have that old full size station wagon with the back window broken out? LOL Unbelievable!!!
                        You just said you're not a plumber, you live in Ca. and don't have a C36 and you're doing plumbing calls from a Jetta? Ok, good luck with that.

                        I really don't think you're serious and this is a joke. I'm not playing along anymore. Have a good day. I think I saw that place on an episode of Hoarders the other night! LOL JK!!!!!!!!!!!
                        I don't see any plumbing stuff in the jetta, I see a box of sheetrock brand mud, box of collated roofing nails, a spray texture hopper and a 5 gal mud bucket... can't figure out the other couple boxes... yet. LOL

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: material Perceptions

                          Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                          I don't see any plumbing stuff in the jetta, I see a box of sheetrock brand mud, box of collated roofing nails, a spray texture hopper and a 5 gal mud bucket... can't figure out the other couple boxes... yet. LOL

                          I think he said the "plumbing section" is in the trunk!

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: material Perceptions

                            Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                            It's obvious this forum has a FEW non professionals showing up. This forum is for PROFESSIONAL PLUMBERS or those who are "on their way" to becoming a PROFESSIONAL PLUMBER. Not for people who work as a handyman for a company or for those who have no ambition to become professional, unlicensed, and work out of their trunks and like to brag about it! Ridgid has a board for you people, it's called ASK THE EXPERTS!
                            Best thing to do is if they continue to post on this board is to IGNORE THEM. Don't feed the trolls, don't offer advice.



                            I thought I would never say this but..... THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS "WITH" PICTURES!
                            No, its for RIDGID tool enthusiasts to come together and have a community place to chat and talk work and tools. Ridgid doesn't only make tools for plumbers ya know.

                            Let's not make this another thread about the lic crap, it gets old and just puts everyone on their toes.

                            On the vehicle topic, I'd drive a newer truck if I could, but 40k + for the truck I want is outrageous at best. I can't afford that. My 8k dollar 01 Dodge Ram 2500 QC Long Box, diesel, with topper, and almost 300k miles works. It has almost no rust and is pretty clean for the miles. No way in hell I would drive a car for my job, that's just silly. As far a fuel efficiency goes, I work construction, not once did I think I would get a work vehicle that would get great mileage, it goes with the territory. That's why I pull a trailer, I have every tool at every jobsite and can pick up any materials I need with ease. I can then drop the trailer and I then have my personal vehicle free of work items. It gets about 14mpg pulling the trailer and 17+ without and it would be better if I didn't have a lead foot and go fast goodies on it (previous owner had it setup for some decent power for off-road racing).

                            From what I have learned over the past years is this, people will do what they do. We are all individuals and have our own way of doing the things we do. There is no point arguing about it, and how boring and lame would we all be if we did the exact same thing. Some customers might see the "unprofessional" vehicle and turn away, but sometimes you could have turned someone away with a flashy vinyl job on the van as well, as it can make you look flashy.

                            To me, the final product is all that matters. The customer doesn't have to live with my truck parked in front of their house after I am done, but they do have to live with the tile work and finish work I have performed. And having been on my own now for 7 years and never once advertised and still have work, I think I'll continue to let my reputation be determined by the work I perform on a daily basis and not by the vehicle I drive.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: material Perceptions

                              Professional Plumbing Discussion

                              (52 Viewing)
                              Plumbers Forum: If you are not a pro or on your way to becoming a professional tradesman please use the "Ask the Plumbing Experts" Section

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: material Perceptions

                                Sorry, I never really pay attention to where posts are on the forum as I just hit the new posts button to see the latest posts. Just found this topic interesting.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X