material Perceptions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: material Perceptions

I think this entire thread is amusing! I still think a couple of the posts are some kind of a practical joke, has to be. Right?

Comment

Today was hilarious ! had a flat on s-10 ...ran calls with a 2500HD with slide in camper ... LOL

NO pex today Drain cleaning calls ...

The AC was nice though ...lol

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
        Today was hilarious ! had a flat on s-10 ...ran calls with a 2500HD with slide in camper ... LOL

NO pex today Drain cleaning calls ...

The AC was nice though ...lol
        You seem like a good man who will get things done no matter what it takes. That's pretty cool. I think you're on to something though, keep switching vehicles to stay one step ahead of the man!

Comment

a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in one of the learned professions c (1) : characterized by or
          b : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
          c : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>

: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

If you are trying to split hairs, professionals are simply people that get paid to do something. If people pay him to put in a water heater, he is a pro.

Professionals get paid to do something
          Experts know what they are doing.

Neither of this is relevant to the fact that professional plumbing discussion does not specify that you have to be licensed.
          And anyone participating in the plumbing discussion could easily say they are on the way to becoming a "pro". They are alerady ahead of the game just by reading on here, much less posting.

But I digress, I totally disagree with running service out of a car. But, if that is what works why try to make him feel bad for it? Simply because you don't like plumbing out of a car, far be it for you to say he is wrong. Do you want to give him the money for a KUV? Pay his gas bill? You have absolutely no idea why he drives a car, but it doesn't matter. Because, -it doesn't matter-. This thread was not about what he drives, don't derail the thread with your negative opinions.

When you sir, are without sin, then you can start casting stones.

Comment

Opions are like a$$holes everybody's got one......

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
              You still have that old full size station wagon with the back window broken out? LOL Unbelievable!!!
              You just said you're not a plumber, you live in Ca. and don't have a C36 and you're doing plumbing calls from a Jetta? Ok, good luck with that.

I really don't think you're serious and this is a joke. I'm not playing along anymore. Have a good day. I think I saw that place on an episode of Hoarders the other night! LOL JK!!!!!!!!!!!
              No I do not have a C36, I just recently passed the test for my B license, waiting on the FBI mumbo jumbo to go thru.
              I am serious, that is the car I use for work. I gave up driving the truck when fuel hit $2 a gallon.
              Yes there is alot of stuff in the background, I rent a granny flat from a 77 year old woman who has collected a great deal of precious antiques (junk)

It's obvious this forum has a FEW non professionals showing up. This forum is for PROFESSIONAL PLUMBERS or those who are "on their way" to becoming a PROFESSIONAL PLUMBER. Not for people who work as a handyman for a company or for those who have no ambition to become professional, unlicensed, and work out of their trunks and like to brag about it! Ridgid has a board for you people, it's called ASK THE EXPERTS!
              Best thing to do is if they continue to post on this board is to IGNORE THEM. Don't feed the trolls, don't offer advice.
              I thought I would never say this but..... THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS "WITH" PICTURES!
              Whats wrong with honesty?

If this forum is so "precious" for the highly honorable secret not so public society of exhaled plumbing professionals, then I suppose it should be treated as such to keep us vermin out. There should be a muscle bound bouncer behind the knock knock door challenging people for the password, a special secret handshake, a special Orphan Annie Decoder Ring, and monogrammed his and her T-shirts.
              Last edited by masterbeavis; 09-12-2011, 10:57 PM.
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

[QUOTE=masterbeavis;358846]No I do not have a C36, I just recently passed the test for my B license, waiting on the FBI mumbo jumbo to go thru.
                I am serious, that is the car I use for work. I gave up driving the truck when fuel hit $2 a gallon.
                Yes there is alot of stuff in the background, I rent a granny flat from a 77 year old woman who has collected a great deal of precious antiques (junk)

$2.00 a gallon buahaha, I haven't seen 2.00 gas since I was in jr. high. One of my friends posted a picture of old Lahaina town where I grew up and there was a gas station sign just in view it said 1.97. There was still cane fields in the background, Lahaina hasn't had cane since 1997.

As far as trucks go, hell yeah I think it's important that you show up in something thats halfway decent. I used to drive a 06' Toyota Tacoma TRD 4X4 Supercharged w/ 3" lifts. Well after I went into business for myself I did the smart thing and sold in for a 01 Ford F-350 Diesel 2wd. I used what money was left over for boxes and lettering.
                My wife was at Ferguson with me the other day and saw one of the plumbers there with a beat up f-250 utility body. She said "You know that guy is probably 50, but if he showed up at my house in a beat up truck like that but says he's been doing this for 20 years I would wonder why he still drives a beater? Is he a bad businessman, bad plumber or both".
                Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

[QUOTE=mpm;358864]
                  Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                  No I do not have a C36, I just recently passed the test for my B license, waiting on the FBI mumbo jumbo to go thru.

$2.00 a gallon buahaha, I haven't seen 2.00 gas since I was in jr. high. One of my friends posted a picture of old Lahaina town where I grew up and there was a gas station sign just in view it said 1.97. There was still cane fields in the background, Lahaina hasn't had cane since 1997.

As far as trucks go, hell yeah I think it's important that you show up in something thats halfway decent. I used to drive a 06' Toyota Tacoma TRD 4X4 Supercharged w/ 3" lifts. Well after I went into business for myself I did the smart thing and sold in for a 01 Ford F-350 Diesel 2wd. I used what money was left over for boxes and lettering.
                  My wife was at Ferguson with me the other day and saw one of the plumbers there with a beat up f-250 utility body. She said "You know that guy is probably 50, but if he showed up at my house in a beat up truck like that but says he's been doing this for 20 years I would wonder why he still drives a beater? Is he a bad businessman, bad plumber or both".
                  Again, this is a conditioned assumption society has drilled into most peoples heads.

Why did your wife not assume that there was nothing wrong with the truck and he just chose to save money or invest it elsewhere? The exact same information (the truck) should bring this assumption to mind as well.

I once knew a lady that worked at one of the showrooms of a plumbing supply house. I don't know what brought up the subject of my well used, and needed to be painted, truck. I mentioned I might get a new one like some others. She says, "If it's in your budget and you want one, get it. I'll tell you this though, I've seen something several times over the years. Some guys go in business for themselves and almost every time, in the first year or two they get some new truck. And in the next year or two, they are out of business....."

J.C.

Comment

You can complain about it all that you want, but the people who have had this "drilled into their heads" are the people you might need to work for some day.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                      You can complain about it all that you want, but the people who have had this "drilled into their heads" are the people you might need to work for some day.
                      I am not complaining at all. Every person should do what they need to do to maximize their return. If they are losing enough income due to their appearance and the ignorance of customers that put a large importance on that, then they should adjust.

J.C.

Comment

The last few days have been Interesting ...

There were a couple of calls that For what ever reason I could not do ... When I referred them to "the pretty Truck guys" they were like are you sure you can't get to me today ...

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                          The last few days have been Interesting ...

There were a couple of calls that For what ever reason I could not do ... When I referred them to "the pretty Truck guys" they were like are you sure you can't get to me today ...
                          I doubt it had to do with what the vehicle looks like. Now I'm starting to get upset that this is allowed to continue.
                          Last edited by ironranger; 09-13-2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I doubt it had to do with what the vehicle looks like. Now I'm starting to get upset that this is allowed to continue.
                            That what is allowed to continue?

Comment

Every time I see the word "truck" it depresses me knowing that a bomb went off inside my truck, and I'm beyond embarrassed right now. I never in my life ever let me truck get this bad, so why not straighten it up? Cause we are very close to getting another, and I don't feel like moving the stuff twice!

Btw...yesterday the back door latch on my stahl body broke, and out came the bungee cords to keep it closed.

Yea my truck looks like pretty tough right now with the bungee cords on it, and the racing stripes my father put on, when he scraped up against a stone wall a year ago.

I can't wait to get rid of this pig.

Comment

[QUOTE=JCsPlumbing;358871]
                                Originally posted by mpm View Post

Again, this is a conditioned assumption society has drilled into most peoples heads.

Why did your wife not assume that there was nothing wrong with the truck and he just chose to save money or invest it elsewhere? The exact same information (the truck) should bring this assumption to mind as well.

I once knew a lady that worked at one of the showrooms of a plumbing supply house. I don't know what brought up the subject of my well used, and needed to be painted, truck. I mentioned I might get a new one like some others. She says, "If it's in your budget and you want one, get it. I'll tell you this though, I've seen something several times over the years. Some guys go in business for themselves and almost every time, in the first year or two they get some new truck. And in the next year or two, they are out of business....."

J.C.
                                Who said anything about brand new trucks? A brand new truck is the last thing in the world a brand new business owner should buy. A guy (I'll call him Craig for the story) who started his company about the same time when I started mine bought a brand new truck. Well in the time that's passed I've bought another used E-350 Diesel cargo van with 86k miles which I paid cash for and had it shipped from FL, and a jetter which I before I bought searched high and low for a used one but came up empty handed. I don't see Craig on the road or in the supply houses anymore.
                                I started this company with used equipment. Every large ticket item I own; K-60, camera, locators, brick transmitter, pro-presses (2- 210b and one 330b), XL Jaws (thanks Rick), threading machine, trisand vice was bought used via ebay or craigs list. And I got some killer deals to. One 210 pro-press I bought for 400.00 and the 330b one I got for 800.00.
                                There is a way to be frugal and still have a great appearance. It is very unwise and unnecessary to purchase a new vehicle for a new business (IMO a new vehicle period).
                                Our vehicles represent our business, they represent us. Our trucks are basically our office. Would you trust a lawyer or doctor with a messed up, old, dirty office? Face it when you show up to a job you are being judged right off the bat by your appearance and that includes your truck and your clothes.
                                If a guy who's been a plumber for 20 years still drives a beater there is something wrong. I may be a plumber who's enthusiastic about the trade but I didn't get into the trade because someone told me plumbers are broke.
                                Last edited by mpm; 09-14-2011, 01:05 AM.
                                Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                                Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
                                X