Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• by hammer and hand all things do stand

For master plumbers, journeyman and apprentices

Since pipe cannot be obtained in unlimited lengths , and the fact that it practically all pipe installations there are numerous changes in directions, branches ect., pipe fittings have been devised for necessary connections. by definations the term pipe fittings is used to denote all those fittings that may be attached to pipes in order 1,to alter the direction of a pipe , 2,to connect a branch with a main, 3 to close a end and,4,to connect two pipes of different sizes.* there is an undue multiplicity of fittings on the market and the supply house that keeps all of them is indeed hard to find, hence in pipe fittings. It is advisable to use only the simplest fittings, because special or unusual forms are hard to get and costly.

Thus pipe fittings denotes the various devices, such as elbows t's ect., used in connecting pipes, and pipe fittings, the process of cutting,threading, and screwing the pipes and fittings together, the man who does this beeing called a pipe fitter. There are a good many persons posing as pipe fitters who have no right to the title judgeing from the quality of their work.

Just was reading audels plumbers and steam fitters guide 3 first published in 1925 republished in 1949 just thought it was cool. Thanks for reading.

Re: by hammer and hand all things do stand

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
    For master plumbers, journeyman and apprentices

Since pipe cannot be obtained in unlimited lengths , and the fact that it practically all pipe installations there are numerous changes in directions, branches ect., pipe fittings have been devised for necessary connections. by definations the term pipe fittings is used to denote all those fittings that may be attached to pipes in order 1,to alter the direction of a pipe , 2,to connect a branch with a main, 3 to close a end and,4,to connect two pipes of different sizes.* there is an undue multiplicity of fittings on the market and the supply house that keeps all of them is indeed hard to find, hence in pipe fittings. It is advisable to use only the simplest fittings, because special or unusual forms are hard to get and costly.

Thus pipe fittings denotes the various devices, such as elbows t's ect., used in connecting pipes, and pipe fittings, the process of cutting,threading, and screwing the pipes and fittings together, the man who does this beeing called a pipe fitter. There are a good many persons posing as pipe fitters who have no right to the title judgeing from the quality of their work.

Just was reading audels plumbers and steam fitters guide 3 first published in 1925 republished in 1949 just thought it was cool. Thanks for reading.
    something tells me by the date of 1925. this doesn't hold water anymore. a plumber is more than qualified to cut and screw pipes together along with all the other methods of joining.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

It's fun to read some of the old stuff. Last week I picked up a little hard cover book called "Johnson's New Handy Manual on Plumbing Drainage Sewerage and Streamline", "A practical Book For Practical Men".

First printed in 1905, I have a 1940 edition. Smells like it too but talk about a great read while sitting on the throne. It's full of illustrations and graphs. We have it really easy these days compared to what they did.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        something tells me by the date of 1925. this doesn't hold water anymore. a plumber is more than qualified to cut and screw pipes together along with all the other methods of joining.

rick.

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of plumbers today who couldn't stand toe to toe with those guys when it comes to accuracy. Make a 1/4" mistake and you're screwed. You can't just snip off a new piece of pex. You had to start all over cutting and re-threading pipe.

Comment

I just love browsing those Old books I got quite a few those guys were true skilled craftsman they'd role over in there grave if they saw the pex job i saw a "contractor" hooked a shower unit up with two double wye's off of the washing machine and ran pex twenty feet hung up with tie straps looked almost as pathetic as it was....

Comment

I worked with a guy when i first started that would give me measurements in inch and 64th 32nds and so on. I hated him for it but know i understand why and id buy him a beer if i ever see him... Rick when was the last time you did something by hand cut screw or thread. Go go gadget rick....jjk. those guys deserve cradit licensing didnt exist it didnt keep you doing a job you werent good at, you either did it and it held water or "steam" or it didnt.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
              I worked with a guy when i first started that would give me measurements in inch and 64th 32nds and so on. I hated him for it but know i understand why and id buy him a beer if i ever see him... Rick when was the last time you did something by hand cut screw or thread. Go go gadget rick....jjk. those guys deserve cradit licensing didnt exist it didnt keep you doing a job you werent good at, you either did it and it held water or "steam" or it didnt.
              seeing that you're new here. i'll bring you up to speed.

at the first ridgid roundup a few years ago, i took home first place in the "thread master contest"

cutting 1'' steel pipe by hand, hand reaming and hand oiling and threading, then hand screwing a fitting on.

all in 66 seconds

not bad for old school.

also was the fastest at the second roundup using 4 different hand power threaders on 1'' pipe.

not bad for new school.

don't tell joey, but i'm the fastest screwer in town

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

No insult intended appreciate your advise and your knowledge much more the those Old books... Just a friendly jab I expected you to say now we propress it or something...any ways lots of respect Rick and all the other experienced professionals that share there advise with me and others starting out our careers in this profession.

Comment

BOLDER DASH I say. I see plenty of hacked up work by these supposed great trades men. Ohhh!!! they could cut and thread pipe. Dang I hope we can all do that. I bet all of us would learn to pour a lead joint just fine. Maybe we could all ruin our backs worse then we already have getting all the cast iron tubs and pipe in place.

Sorry I just don't see any great plumbing done all those years ago in residential buidings.

It looked like hard work but it sure doesn't look like much skill was involved.

Comment

Depends on the job, I see a lot of residential work that looks like hacked in junk. I see some that was done by craftsmen, there's a massive difference in the look of the job. Best indicator i've seen is the use of lead bends, If I see lead tub drains or closet risers, I usually see crooked hub connections and ugly work. Maybe lead bends were the pex piping of the times?
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                      BOLDER DASH I say. I see plenty of hacked up work by these supposed great trades men. Ohhh!!! they could cut and thread pipe. Dang I hope we can all do that. I bet all of us would learn to pour a lead joint just fine. Maybe we could all ruin our backs worse then we already have getting all the cast iron tubs and pipe in place.

Sorry I just don't see any great plumbing done all those years ago in residential buidings.

It looked like hard work but it sure doesn't look like much skill was involved.
                      Just what do you consider "great" plumbing? The plumbers who had to cut and thread steel pipe and install cast iron on a daily basis from days past deserve much better than that. How sad.

Comment

when all you venting was run with galv screw pipe there was little room for error.
                        A tucker fitting to close it up was all you got.

Last job I did that was all lead and oakum (above and below ground) with galv vents was in 1979.
                        It was a State hospital job and they had not adopted ty-seal joints or no-hub yet.
                        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                          Just what do you consider "great" plumbing? The plumbers who had to cut and thread steel pipe and install cast iron on a daily basis from days past deserve much better than that. How sad.
                          not what I see in these old houses around here. it was heavy dirty work. Skill wise? it is only threading pipe. maybe pouring a lead joint is harder than I think.... I don't know I have all the tools. maybe I'll give it a try. Heck my grandpa was a handy man and I have all his lead pouring stuff. and threading stuff. just like a lot of the old men around here still have. they didn't need a plumber to repair galvanized. there old age is the only reason they need me. It's only threading pipe.

Comment

It's square it hasn't leaked in eighty years and its acurate not all of it but what I run into on a daily basis sometimes blows me away when you think every hole was by hand every pipe by hand every cut by hand not even a ratchet threader. I give those guys my hats off . How would you like cleaning drains back then? Just my thoughts. Don't stick ur tongue where your tools been.

Comment

don't forget these great tradesmen are the same that were putting in miles of orangeburg. Why would they do that? cheep? easy? don't tell me they didn't know it was junk. at least after the 1st 20 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X