by hammer and hand all things do stand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: by hammer and hand all things do stand

For here, like alot of places, the old installation methods are more difficult and "heavier".

But I also find many installations, at least here, "hackier". I find leaded cast iron tees and trap arms all the time rolled with the wrong pitch. Structural integrity just absolutely destroyed and butchered up. That's half the difficulty of the job for me. Put this in that area and still maintain structural integrity.

Past guys had half the bathrooms, no dishwashers, no tankless water heaters, little to no backflow knowledge, no firecaulking, no GIANT bathrooms with venting spread out, maybe 5 different fixtures to learn about, no "car wash" showers, less throat cutting and no illegals lowering the wage base.

Sometimes I wish it could all go back though....

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

But I also find many installations, at least here, "hackier". I find leaded cast iron tees and trap arms all the time rolled with the wrong pitch. Structural integrity just absolutely destroyed and butchered up. That's half the difficulty of the job for me. Put this in that area and still maintain structural integrity.

J.C.
      I could not have said it better. at least they were frugal, they could plumb a 100 unit apartment and only use one valve to shut the water off. That is a skilled craftsman.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
        I could not have said it better. at least they were frugal, they could plumb a 100 unit apartment and only use one valve to shut the water off. That is a skilled craftsman.
        That's more the mark of a cheap owner than a frugal plumber I think. A plumber would opt for valves to make his life easier for maintenance later on, and would be able to sell it (the added material and labor expense) to the owner if he was any good. A spec builder however would not care and would do only what was the minimum required by code, and even less if he could get away with it.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
          There are a good many persons posing as pipe fitters who have no right to the title judgeing from the quality of their work.

plumbers and steam fitters guide 3 first published in 1925 r
          Funny he was complaining about hacks back in 1925. well, they all must have moved to west Mi. to plumb houses.

Give me a modern plumber any day even if he has to use cast and galvanized.

Comment

I agree that the pipes, fittings and fixtures, were all much heavier, and much harder to install, in the old days. But no-one expected the house to be roughed in, in one or two days either.

I live in a subdivision that was built in the late 60's. I do alot of work in these houses, and all the kitchens had the exact same cabinets, with exact same layout for each style of house. And all the bathrooms were the same,for each style of house, including the color of tile and fixtures. All the bathroom colors were either green, purple, blue, beige, or white. How easy would that be, to purchase tile and fixtures? No borders, or accents, just square tiles, & bull nose, all the same size, in 4 or 5 colors, & thats it. No jacuzzi tubs, or fancy layouts. I know this well, cuz from what I have seen, I would bet over half of the houses, still have all original equipment.
            And no shut offs on any of the fixtures, but they did install group stop & waste valves, for each bath ( alot of which are unaccessisble). But I never even attempt to turn those, unless I am replacing them.
            Last edited by Don the plumber; 09-16-2011, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I'm not talking 50's or 60's I'm talking pre 20' s galvanized threader everything I. No I couldn't physically thread cut and hand install with primitive and minimal tools as " some" of these tradesman did without a steep learning curve ... I'm sure its like anything once you were use to not making mistakes it be fine ... But I'm thinking of a certain heating system I looked at long abandoned but So perciese I'm just giving credit to the past protectors of a nation " or world" we wouldn't be were we are if it weren't for them... Ps in thirty years what are they gona say about pex or maybe even " propress" I got a feeling I'm gona regret saying that...there goes the topic on this thread. Regardless its easy to put down that which was done in the past but history repeats itself.... So I don't know bout u but I hope some young plumber looks at my work eighty years from now and thinks wow these guys were tradesman... There always has been and always will be those that care and those that hack and throw pipe in the air untill it holds water....Thanks seanny..
              Last edited by seanny deep; 09-17-2011, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                It's fun to read some of the old stuff. Last week I picked up a little hard cover book called "Johnson's New Handy Manual on Plumbing Drainage Sewerage and Streamline", "A practical Book For Practical Men".

First printed in 1905, I have a 1940 edition. Smells like it too but talk about a great read while sitting on the throne. It's full of illustrations and graphs. We have it really easy these days compared to what they did.

Is it possible the book smells because of where you're reading it?
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                X