X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Get rid of one hack, two more will come to their funeral

" In CA we have a $500 small work exemption where any idiot can do just about anything providing the agregate price of the labor and materials do not exceed $500. Alot can be said for somebody who is properly educated on sizing water, gas and waste, but in my experience, not much emphasis is made on making sure whoever is doing plumbing is legit."

MasterBeavis I lived and owned a plumbing company in Ca. for many years and carried a c36, and you're right, not much is done to unlicensed hacks in California so don't worry about it, carry on.
    Hey what happened to all those plumbing job pictures you had on your Photobucket page the other day? They seem to be gone? Have a great weekend, IT'S FRIDAY !

Comment

Speedbump, though sad, your words have a ring of truth to them. It was recently explained to us by the chief plumbing inspector in this wonderful state, that indeed, since non licensed hacks are not controlled by the plumbers board; the plumbing board has no jurisdiction over them.
      However, the town or city inspector does and can bring lawful action against them. Now the question would be "how many local and city inspectors are bothering to go after these guys" I personally know of one but I suspect he has very little company. But hey, this is but one issue in the constant battle to bring back cholera and diphtheria to the populous being waged by hacks and homeowners with financial backing from Home Depot and spiritual backing from This Old House. Gee wiz, thanks Norm and Tommy.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        Funny you would choose to chime in on this thread Devine.... -Did you manage to get a plumbing license yet? -Are you still running your fathers plumbing business illegally, in Michigan right? -It only takes a search of this forum to see the disdain you have shown for licensed plumbers...
        Oh damn owned.

And yes on some stuff, a homeowner is too "ignorant" to work on their own home. Are you kidding me? How safe would you feel if your neighbor, was running CSST in his house. Just because his floor flooding doesn't affect you, his water heater exploding can affect you.

Defending home depot selling plumbing parts, is like defending hacks for doing side work. What business does ANYONE that isn't a plumber have buying plumbing parts?

If you have to be licensed to install it, you should have to be licensed to buy it. ANY trade. I don't see the problem with this.

Cut off their supply,and, tell me that wouldn't stop a mojority of it from happening. Homeowner joe fred watches this old house last weekend and says, hey that tankless is a good idea. Heads down to the local parts house to buy one. They card him. Guess who gets a call to install a tankless?
        The hack! He calls a c-list plumber that says he can do it. After his run to the parts house and getting carded, guess who gets the call?

Be glad the government enforces this in other areas. And it works there. Trust me, I don't have a silenced 50 cal sniper rifle because of this... Or a full auto gun of any kind.

Comment

A few weeks ago, a homeowner pulled up to my truck while I was eating a breakfast sandwich, and asked me if I had a "7/8" long sweep 90" so he could hook up his line-set and I told him "No". He was ticked because Johnstone and RE Michels wouldn't sell him one. I did have one on my truck, but in the back of my mind, I was wondering what happen to the refrigerant in his old system.

Speedbump...you nailed it!

Comment

I'm sure it was properly recovered
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Policy driven by profit. That's the name of the game these days in all of the construction trades.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                Oh damn owned.

And yes on some stuff, a homeowner is too "ignorant" to work on their own home. Are you kidding me? How safe would you feel if your neighbor, was running CSST in his house. Just because his floor flooding doesn't affect you, his water heater exploding can affect you.

Defending home depot selling plumbing parts, is like defending hacks for doing side work. What business does ANYONE that isn't a plumber have buying plumbing parts?

If you have to be licensed to install it, you should have to be licensed to buy it. ANY trade. I don't see the problem with this.

Cut off their supply,and, tell me that wouldn't stop a mojority of it from happening. Homeowner joe fred watches this old house last weekend and says, hey that tankless is a good idea. Heads down to the local parts house to buy one. They card him. Guess who gets a call to install a tankless?
                The hack! He calls a c-list plumber that says he can do it. After his run to the parts house and getting carded, guess who gets the call?

Be glad the government enforces this in other areas. And it works there. Trust me, I don't have a silenced 50 cal sniper rifle because of this... Or a full auto gun of any kind.
                That won't work, because you will just have some licensed plumbers selling parts just like they pull permits for unlicensed people now & employees of plumbing companies selling more stuff off their truck. What would work is if more people knew that they did not legally have to pay unlicensed contractors for the work they perform. Better yet the next water heater job you get call a c-list plumber have them remove the old water heater & load it up in their truck. Then ask them for their plumbing license & when they can't show you one tell them to have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                  Oh damn owned.

There are some things that homeowners and other folks should not have access too. The statements made by others others regarding buying parts was very broad. My interpretation was this "If you are not specifically licensed for a particular trade you should be prohibited from buying everything related to that trade." That is how I interpreted those statements. By this reasoning, you as a plumber should call an electrician to change out a light switch in your home that is malfunctioning, because you are an "idiot home owner" and we need to protect the trades.

Please hear what I am saying:
                  I agree that there are many things Joe blow homeowner and improperly trained hacks and contractors should not have access too and should be prohibited from buying.

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  "
                  MasterBeavis I lived and owned a plumbing company in Ca. for many years and carried a c36, and you're right, not much is done to unlicensed hacks in California so don't worry about it, carry on.
                  Hey what happened to all those plumbing job pictures you had on your Photobucket page the other day?
                  I do not link photos to this forum from Photobucket, what I link from is my personal Facebook page. Find me a dead link, or proof that I deleted or edited a post or any link pointing to any picture I have linked, show me where I have allegedly tried covering my tracks.

I challenge you and call you out on the carpet on your lie. Show me proof. Even ask a MOD for help, You'll need it. I have nothing to hide.

You said you just took classes and passed your test and you're asking if you can do plumbing and electrical?
                  I am saying that the law is written vaugely. I see what every general contractor I know gets away with, and have read what the law reads. The law has a loophole written in it, and no apparent clarification. I am asking a question. This issues has been discussed in the thread I started in the construction forum https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t38977/

I have said it once, I will say it again. I have no significant knowledge of how to plumb a house or do anything commercial(electrical or plumbing) nor do I take jobs that require that sort of knowledge. Aside from basic plumbing tasks such as changing out a faucet, setting a toilet, or replacing an old angle stop, I call my buddy Mike for plumbing. I call Steve or Brian for significant electrical jobs, I call my buddy Nick for HVAC stuff, I call Shawn when I need a roof stacked, all licensed in their respective fields, all who have specific knowledge that I do not. I like the idea of being able to sleep at night, not worrying about whether or not I knew what I was doing, or if my work is going to hold up, or get a phone call X many years in the future saying there was a problem with something I did.
                  Last edited by masterbeavis; 09-18-2011, 12:10 AM.
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I have no intention of starting anything with you masterbeavis. YOU posted pictures of your vehicles on this forum. One of the pictures is from your Photobucket account. Your Photobucket account is public and I looked at your pictures as I'm sure others have too. Is there something wrong with that? If it bothers you then I suggest you make it private.
                    You had quite a few pictures of plumbing jobs, water heaters, etc. You have pictures of many trucks, pets, family etc. Am I wrong? Now I don't see any of the plumbing pictures, they are gone. Don't ask me what happened to them. I saw what I saw. You can challenge me until the cows come home, I'm not interested and I don't play these games. You're ignored, I won't comment on your postings again.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                      There are some things that homeowners and other folks should not have access too. The statements made by others others regarding buying parts was very broad. My interpretation was this "If you are not specifically licensed for a particular trade you should be prohibited from buying everything related to that trade." That is how I interpreted those statements. By this reasoning, you as a plumber should call an electrician to change out a light switch in your home that is malfunctioning, because you are an "idiot home owner" and we need to protect the trades.

Please hear what I am saying:
                      I agree that there are many things Joe blow homeowner and improperly trained hacks and contractors should not have access too and should be prohibited from buying.

I do not link photos to this forum from Photobucket, what I link from is my personal Facebook page. Find me a dead link, or proof that I deleted or edited a post or any link pointing to any picture I have linked, show me where I have allegedly tried covering my tracks.

I challenge you and call you out on the carpet on your lie. Show me proof. Even ask a MOD for help, You'll need it. I have nothing to hide.

I am saying that the law is written vaugely. I see what every general contractor I know gets away with, and have read what the law reads. The law has a loophole written in it, and no apparent clarification. I am asking a question. This issues has been discussed in the thread I started in the construction forum https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t38977/

I have said it once, I will say it again. I have no significant knowledge of how to plumb a house or do anything commercial(electrical or plumbing) nor do I take jobs that require that sort of knowledge. Aside from basic plumbing tasks such as changing out a faucet, setting a toilet, or replacing an old angle stop, I call my buddy Mike for plumbing. I call Steve or Brian for significant electrical jobs, I call my buddy Nick for HVAC stuff, I call Shawn when I need a roof stacked, all licensed in their respective fields, all who have specific knowledge that I do not. I like the idea of being able to sleep at night, not worrying about whether or not I knew what I was doing, or if my work is going to hold up, or get a phone call X many years in the future saying there was a problem with something I did.

I ignored this masterbeavis but just wanted others to see that I am telling the truth. He did post pictures here from his photobucket account and the account is public. Here is the link of the picture he posted on the other thread that we all saw:
                      http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../centurion.jpg
                      All done with this.

Comment

I have no intention of starting anything with you masterbeavis. YOU posted pictures of your vehicles on this forum. One of the pictures is from your Photobucket account. Your Photobucket account is public and I looked at your pictures as I'm sure others have too. Is there something wrong with that? If it bothers you then I suggest you make it private.
                        You had quite a few pictures of plumbing jobs, water heaters, etc. You have pictures of many trucks, pets, family etc. Am I wrong? Now I don't see any of the plumbing pictures, they are gone. Don't ask me what happened to them. I saw what I saw. You can challenge me until the cows come home, I'm not interested and I don't play these games. You're ignored, I won't comment on your postings again.
                        Oh Point taken I linked two very old pictures from that account, I stand corrected.

I still am waiting to see where I am hiding something or am trying to cover my tracks.

The plumbing pictures I have posted there are of crap that I have seen, or of a home I have lived in. All taken for the WTF fail purposes, and to cover my butt if the landlord were to try to pull some crap on me.

here is some pictures that I have supposedly deleted. These were taken in a home I liven in temporarily.

Nice looking place right?
                        The new water heater the owner of the rental was SO proud that he installed himself..TThe other water heater that was in the house. You cannot see the 10* list in the heater, the floor was settling.

LOL, you know what, these last two pictures help make everyones point that homeowners should not be able to buy parts!
                        Last edited by masterbeavis; 09-18-2011, 01:20 AM.
                        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

My flame suit is on.
                          You guys have it easy, plumbing is a regulated and licensed trade. In my world any moron that has watched american hack chopper, can go out and buy a welding machine and go in to biz. I have certs up the a$$ for different process, material, AWS, ASTM, ETC........ does that make a difference nope. I am certified, insured, have the experience to back up my work. But anybody with the cash to buy a truck and a welder is now my direct competition. It scares me to death that someone that calls them self a welder can go out and work on high pressure steam, gas piping, potable water lines, sanitary piping, structural steel, cranes, trailers, trucks, etc, with no regulation. I could write a book on this, but I am not gonna get pissed off.

Comment

I use to say anyone with a pickup truck and a yellow page add can pretend to be a plumber. At least to be a welder you need something to weld with.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Speedbump, though sad, your words have a ring of truth to them. It was recently explained to us by the chief plumbing inspector in this wonderful state, that indeed, since non licensed hacks are not controlled by the plumbers board; the plumbing board has no jurisdiction over them.
                              However, the town or city inspector does and can bring lawful action against them. Now the question would be "how many local and city inspectors are bothering to go after these guys" I personally know of one but I suspect he has very little company. But hey, this is but one issue in the constant battle to bring back cholera and diphtheria to the populous being waged by hacks and homeowners with financial backing from Home Depot and spiritual backing from This Old House. Gee wiz, thanks Norm and Tommy.
                              I'm thinking back to the days when I was first starting to work with my Dad repairing and drilling wells. Installing pumps and repairing same. Sears and Montgomery Ward were selling pumps as was J.C. Penney at one time. Sears today still sells Sta-Rite pumps under the Guise "Craftsman". If it hasn't been stopped by now, I don't see it happening any time soon. Too much money and power. There will always be unlicensed people doing our work. They won't be doing it right most of the time, but just the same will be doing it. And the big box stores will keep supplying them, and unlicensed installers to do the work.
                              Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Seems the license has grown to be nothing more than a "legitimate" headache for me.

I pull permits. They don't.
                                I'm under the thumb of enforcement and each area's interpretation. They aren't.
                                I pay licensing fees. They don't.
                                I have CE classes to go to and pay for. They don't.
                                Then if I miss any of the above they are on my azz because there is a history & record of trying to do things right.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X