Unlicensed HACKS Beware!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Get rid of one hack, two more will come to their funeral

What's Ironic here, is the fact, We are helping unlicensed hacks on "ASK THE PLUMBING EXPERTS"
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Guilty.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Guilty.

J.C.
        It's a big list,don't feel pregnant !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by SteveHiggins View Post
          I'm glad you brought this up. This is a big issue in my city. I get so frustrated by this and its getting worse as people are more desperate for work.
          I've had old acquaintances who have called with the following questions...

1. An exterior underground cable contractor, and sometimes handyman: How much can I charge for installing toilets? He knows I know he's not a plumber. He calls me for advice occasionally when he gets himself into plumbing trouble. Knowing he's going to be doing plumbing no matter what I say, I responded: "Just charge whatever you want." Untill he got frustrated and hung up.

2. A different handyman who used to be a dive buddy. Calls me up and wants to know if I have a freeze machine. He's got a customer with a bad valve ahead of the meter and the city can't operate the curb stop. So this handyman wants to freeze the pipe and replace the valve ahead of the meter. (Aye carumba!!) I refused to answer his questions and calls (after the first call).

I once had a freeze plug fail on me while I was trying to replace a failed valve. NOT a pleasant experience, but I at least knew what to do and had a backup plan so the basement didn't flood.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Whats even more sad then this unlicensed hackery is even the tradesman who have licenses are giving it away. there is no more loyalty to the trades, a license or no license, you can still be a hack doing cheap crap work.

The plumbing trade, like other trades is no longer studied and respected. The business of plumbing is no longer practiced. There have been many discussions on here proving this exact point. Its considered a sin to make a profit to most in the trade. Its considered wrong to make a good living at this trade. Sales is a negative word to many it seems like.

Unlicensed hacks, homeowners, diy shows, home depot, lowes, thats just a majority of the problem. If your a smart business man its like your considered a thief.

I can prove every word I wrote just by starting up a flat rate hourly discussion!

and yes, everytime someone posts in the DIY section or on a diy site, you just took some food out of someones mouth. 90% of the problems in the plumbing trade were created by the people in the trade.
            Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

How true! When I left Michigan 30 years ago and came to Florida, I was getting $13.00 per foot for a 4" well. Florida in my County they were getting $5.50 to $6.00 a foot. Granted we screened wells in Michigan so casing went to the bottom unlike rock wells here, but the difference was still out of whack. I never really got seriously back into drilling because of that. I just did well repair and pump work. Getting my throat cut by several of the local service guys was a weekly thing. Like you said, nobody wants to make a profit. Then there are the new guys that get into the business, do a couple jobs, have credit at the local supply Co. and a pocket full of money. They think they are rich until the end of the month and all the bills come do. So they have to cut their prices a little more to get more work.
              Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Guilty.

J.C.
                Guilty as well.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                  I've had old acquaintances who have called with the following questions...

1. An exterior underground cable contractor, and sometimes handyman: How much can I charge for installing toilets? He knows I know he's not a plumber. He calls me for advice occasionally when he gets himself into plumbing trouble. Knowing he's going to be doing plumbing no matter what I say, I responded: "Just charge whatever you want." Untill he got frustrated and hung up.

2. A different handyman who used to be a dive buddy. Calls me up and wants to know if I have a freeze machine. He's got a customer with a bad valve ahead of the meter and the city can't operate the curb stop. So this handyman wants to freeze the pipe and replace the valve ahead of the meter. (Aye carumba!!) I refused to answer his questions and calls (after the first call).

I once had a freeze plug fail on me while I was trying to replace a failed valve. NOT a pleasant experience, but I at least knew what to do and had a backup plan so the basement didn't flood.
                  My funky frequent competitor is a couple of mailmen doing remodels,patio covers,tile,water heaters.
                  Great gig for a postal worker,always plenty of people to greet you at the box for a little chat.

Comment

Almost seems like this economic down turn was on purpose, causing prices to drop to rock bottom and killing any amount of "profit". Again, as I have stated, I think there is a war on for profit business...

Comment

Working...
                    X