X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difficult tub replacement

Tub has a beautiful corian like solid surface coming over nail flange on 3 sides. Thinking, cutting out 2" band 3 sides and replacing with like material overlay. saws all out 12"section and remove in 3 pieces. Access for waste hookup will be from cut out bedroom wall. Can't access plumb wall, other bath tub . Any tricks? Thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: difficult tub replacement

Can't just pull off drywall or tile and pull screws pull drain and overflow and remove tub like it went in?

Comment

sounds like he has to remove the solid surface surround intact.

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
      Can't just pull off drywall or tile and pull screws pull drain and overflow and remove tub like it went in?
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Souround is beautiful,and expensive
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Depends on what the tub is made out of. Are you wanting to remove the tub and not disturb the surrounds?

Comment

The surround glued on to the wall? Here we normally bolt them to the tub and put. Them all in at once?

Comment

very likely, Most of the solid surface surrounds i've seen are actually either glued to the wall, or have ell brackets epoxied on, which are then screwed to the studs before sheetrock even goes in. a typical tub and surround kit would get bolted to the tub, but this is a bit higher end.

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
              The surround glued on to the wall? Here we normally bolt them to the tub and put. Them all in at once?
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

What's the tub made of?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

What's the tub made of? 1958 steel tub. I also need to pull and reset vanity. I'm planning on taking out a 2" ribbon, just above the tub. I do it all! I don't leave holes in walls,for someone else. I have the skills and tools. It will be T&M OR I walk. Thanks

Thanks.

J.C.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Take the vanity out first. Put the vanity in last.

J.C.

Comment

There is only one way to do this tub. I am going to assume this surround is cultured marble or a similiar surface. If you try and remove it, chances are good that it will break or crack. The only way to remove the tub and still have a finished look is to buy a tub that is taller and if it is fiberglass/vikerell use a grider to remove the nailing flange from the new tub. If the new tub is cast iron you can anticipate a larger silicone bead. This will allow you to cut the material using the grinder to the exact height (make sure to compensate for any recess that this tub may sit below the height of the current floor. In this area it is not uncommon to see three layers of flooring stacked on top of one another.) Another thing to watch for is the center distance to the overflow of the new tub. If it is not the same your faucet will be offcenter. A nice bead of silicone in a complimenting color and PRESTO!
                      Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 09-19-2011, 09:17 AM.
                      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Working...
                      X