Orangeburg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orangeburg

Don't know if this is worth putting up for any interest. Just another day.

Orangeburg. Been giving problems. City replaced connection and cleanout at street. Backpitched. Replaced it again. Still problems. Called us. Found the pipe typically oblonged. And the real problem is that the city put a brick under the connection at the cleanout/street connection to support the connection and try to prevent the backpitch again. Not good.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-18-2011, 08:27 PM.

Re: Orangeburg

J.C. do they not require a bed of stone down there for your sewer installations?

Here we have to have a bed of stone down, and backfill and tamp in 6" lifts.

But that's the first time I've ever seen Orangburg, thanks for posting.

Comment

No. We are not required to bed anything in stone. Stone bedding and tamping does sound better to me. Or maybe rock dust.

However, I have to say we don't see any long-term issues with PVC installed this way.

At least in this area.

J.C.

Comment

Still run into it down here, occasionally.

At least down here we don't lay our pipe that deep, unless you want

to be in the water table. Nice job, BTW. I'm intrigued with the

twin clean outs. Never seen that.

Comment

I'm going to guess the clean outs facing eachother enables one the run a drain cleaning machine from outside so you can get the the main cleanout in the house without dragging the equipment inside, same as going the other way to the street. I am guessing this makes clearing a main a breeze... just guessing?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
            Still run into it down here, occasionally.

At least down here we don't lay our pipe that deep, unless you want

to be in the water table. Nice job, BTW. I'm intrigued with the

twin clean outs. Never seen that.
            Honestly, we don't always do it. But in this situation, we did.

One person lives there and often travels. The bathroom that gets the main use is about 50'-60' under the house. It's plumbed in 4". And the most accessible cleanout is a C.O. Tee just before it exits the house. Plus, he's had multiple stoppages. Add it all up, and since I had everything open I wanted to put the sewer/plumbing in a position that it could be serviced at this area if a problem arises again. Hope no-one ever needs them.

J.C.

Comment

Twin clean-outs should be mandatory IMO.

We have a ritzy development in my area that was just built a few years ago. These homes are huge, and mostly millionaires are living in there, and NOT 1 clean-out outside!! The majority have their basements finished, so forget pulling the clean-out plug on the main in the basement. I would think about pulling a toilet, but most have marble floors installed, and that scares me.

I had 1 blocked main so far in this development (soft blockage), and with the weight of the water in the system, I shook the 4" PVC a little bit and WHOOOSH..it drained. After the call I went up to the township building and asked why there are no clean-outs installed outside, and was told "it's not required". WTF?

I guess someone there doesn't know how to read a code book.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                Twin clean-outs should be mandatory IMO.

We have a ritzy development in my area that was just built a few years ago. These homes are huge, and mostly millionaires are living in there, and NOT 1 clean-out outside!! The majority have their basements finished, so forget pulling the clean-out plug on the main in the basement. I would think about pulling a toilet, but most have marble floors installed, and that scares me.

I had 1 blocked main so far in this development (soft blockage), and with the weight of the water in the system, I shook the 4" PVC a little bit and WHOOOSH..it drained. After the call I went up to the township building and asked why there are no clean-outs installed outside, and was told "it's not required". WTF?

I guess someone there doesn't know how to read a code book.
                I've never seen an out door cleanout here. Maybe due to weather conditions in the winter?

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                  I've never seen an out door cleanout here. Maybe due to weather conditions in the winter?

Bet you've never seen them sewers so shallow either! LOL, Around here we average 8 feet down.

Comment

My Orangeburg sewer is only 43-years old. I wonder how many more years I can get out of it?

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      My Orangeburg sewer is only 43-years old. I wonder how many more years I can get out of it?

Mark
                      Impossible to say. If it stays round and goes down, I guess it could last as long as you need it too.

J.C.

Comment

Great job JC, perfect 2 way cleanout!
                        Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

I can count the times i had to pull a com to clean a sewer on 2 hands
                          Most houses here have two cl outs or one 2 way
                          If its deep the twins are the best to know witch way your going

Comment

Anyone ever see Orangeburg that was never installed, buried, or had a very short service life and is like new?

It kind of looks and feels like PVC, or actually more like ABS since it's black. Totally different looking then what we dig up.

I know in some areas they still lay Clay pipe. Please tell me this not true with Orangeburg.
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                              Mark i still dig some Ob up that is still surprisingly round , its usually 2ft or better deep
                              keep a eye on the grandkids, avoid big partys,
                              tic tic
                              Last edited by DELCASE; 09-14-2011, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X