X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad sign placement!

One call doesnt mark private lines. This was a fun job to get going before weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8f158eee7c5c3a63201911879b3af868.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	15461

Name:	500740079e770b101c9720c4e1974246.jpg
Size:	562.0 KB
ID:	15463

Name:	76d56ac2f15cfd67c0ba20dbd10f04e3.jpg
Size:	539.2 KB
ID:	15462

Name:	d0ffb19e393b892ae073a3814ae88437.jpg
Size:	545.6 KB
ID:	15464

Re: Bad sign placement!

I suppose the utility has to know its there to mark it, or care if its not theirs?
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

That looks like a small main with a tracer wire. Why wouldn't they mark that? You mean to tell me this is a homeowners line and they can do anything they want with it? Tap it or even yank it out?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Its a private line the meter is out past the trees. And the house is probably 200 feet behind me when I took the pic. Here one call only marks utility lines and so when the highway department installed the sign they found the customers yard line. The highway dept. is paying the bill on this one for the homeowner.

Comment

Originally posted by Killing time View Post
          Its a private line the meter is out past the trees. And the house is probably 200 feet behind me when I took the pic. Here one call only marks utility lines and so when the highway department installed the sign they found the customers yard line. The highway dept. is paying the bill on this one for the homeowner.
          Just as well they should. They are responsible for the damage to the existing piping.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Killing time View Post
            Thanks. That is an unusual way to do it compared to what I'm familiar with here. In this area they would run that line to the use point (house or business) then set the meter within a few feet of it. Not set the meter and run two or three hundred feet. Interesting.

J.C.

Comment

Even whey they are marked you see contractors violating the 1 foot had expose rule when working next to gas and hydro lines.

A couple times each summer you will see in the news a fencing contractor caused a neighborhood to be evacuated because they drilled right next to the locate line for a fence pole and hit the plastic pipe not realizing the locate picked up the tracer a few inches over.

Comment

@jcplumbing they put the meter by the house or buisness usually here. But this is rural and there are only 3 houses on that road so all there meters are set out by the road together and they have to run yard lines to them. You see that quite abit here with gas and water in rural areas.

Comment

Anyone ever run a charge through a tracer wire to locate a line? I tried to rent a machine to do same and no one locally had one. Why use a wire if the machine to locate it isn't readily available?
                  The pictured repair using electrofusion repair couplings looks sweet. Had done the same myself. Am thinking about buying an electrofusion machine. Since they rent in my area for $200/day and the rental place is 30 miles away, purchase is looking to be an option.
                  http://www.bdmfginc.com/BDPdfs/CENTR...ON-MACHINE.pdf

Comment

plumbus, we bought one of the locate rigs used from a now defunct utility company. Very good investment, I use it to locate my sewer cables quite a bit.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                    X