Morbid but profitable ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morbid but profitable ...

When you get to your shop Pretend you just bought it from a widow and go through EVERYTHING !

Amazing what you will find ... Brand new faucets still in the box (one stem robbed) Shower valves same way ....

extra parts / tools pulled from trucks in boxes stacked in dark corners ... Treasure troves hiding ....

I just started doing this .... tons of stuff I forgot about ...

put the missing parts into the faucets and get them ready to sell ...

Re: Morbid but profitable ...

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
    When you get to your shop Pretend you just bought it from a widow and go through EVERYTHING !

Amazing what you will find ... Brand new faucets still in the box (one stem robbed) Shower valves same way ....

extra parts / tools pulled from trucks in boxes stacked in dark corners ... Treasure troves hiding ....

I just started doing this .... tons of stuff I forgot about ...

put the missing parts into the faucets and get them ready to sell ...
    This is so true for me too. Got to do the same thing.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

don't give joey any ideas. she'll think she won the lottery.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

If the owner of our company gets any worse, that is exactly what I'll be going(read not happy with our situation,not your suggestion.)

Comment

5 years ago we hired a business consultant to do a company audit. The first thing he did was look at the shop inventory and the truck inventory. He was mortified.
          sigpic

Comment

Funny, I'm cleaning out my garage, ie my shop, and am amazed at how many crescent wrenches I have, the probably thousands of dollars worth of remnant tile from jobs and lots of other stuff... its probably thousands of dollars worth of stuff. A lot of stuff is still new in the packages too and from HD, might have to do a return run Monday, might get some more tools.... LOL. It's like Christmas!

Comment

You all are cub scouts ,next to Me ! Hence TOOLAHOLIC
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                Funny, I'm cleaning out my garage, ie my shop, and am amazed at how many crescent wrenches I have, the probably thousands of dollars worth of remnant tile from jobs and lots of other stuff... its probably thousands of dollars worth of stuff. A lot of stuff is still new in the packages too and from HD, might have to do a return run Monday, might get some more tools.... LOL. It's like Christmas!
                Too funny. I went thru my garage and rounded up all of the spare parts I had bought but never used. I returned $200 a day for a week, they never had that kind of cash in the drawer. I was baffled at what I had found, and they had come up with a new nickname for me, "Mr Returns."
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  You all are cub scouts ,next to Me ! Hence TOOLAHOLIC
                  tool, i'd make you look like a girlscout

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

The warehouse we took over had been occupied by a mechanical contractor for the past 40 years. We purchased everything just as he left it . We vowed to organize everything and keep it that way. Ten years gone, looks like he never left

Comment

Last time I tried cleaning out the garage I found a generator... not a little one either.
                      And a set of pipes for my Harley that I bought and forgot about.
                      And an 18v jigsaw that I never even knew I had. Ok, I obviously knew I had it at some point, but my memory ain't what it once was.
                      A mummified bird, the skeletal remains of a snake, and a dusty 12 pack of Coors Light.

So I took the Coors upstairs and put it in the 'fridge and forgot all about cleaning the garage (there was a football game on and hey, I got beer).
                      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

We have a ton of stuff in our shop, but we are getting to the point where we don't want to throw anything out, just for the sake of doing so.

The other day when I was in there, I didn't realize that we have 5 Beckett burners (excellent shape) that we keep on hand for emergencies. There is also a full roll of 2" k copper that I'm not sure where we are going to use that at.

We use to buy PVC fittings by the case (1-1/2" - 4") just to keep on hand, and we running that down to bare bones, as it just takes up space.

It's nice having a shop, but you get to that point where you start collecting things you don't need.

Comment

I do this from time to time on the truck. And I'll be damned if I don't need the exact single item I said, hey I surely won't need this.. That VERY day. Like a 1/4 (I think it is) coupling I carried around in my truck for 3 weeks, then randomly had it in my pocket one day. Went to the IRS building and chuckled as I gave it to the guard and he was .

that very freaking day at work, I went to grab the helper from the other plumber. Who was repairing a silcock. And wanted to cut down one he had on the truck...

I now am really really really skurt to get rid of anything. I usually just re organize things and say hey, didn't know I had that...

Comment

Found two Moen Chrome/Polished Brass faucets yesterday. Probably gonna' have to recycle them at scrap cost.

J.C.

Comment

we've reached the point of having a large enough operation that we employ a semi retired individual, He mows the grass, organizes the shop, and takes care of loose ends like that, He doesn't cost us much, as he isn't in it for the money, just for something to do. We went from having a giant pile from everyone dumping excess material off of their truck, to a nicely organized shop in a matter of weeks. He also only works 3 days a week. We also sent 3 delivery trucks worth of stock back to our normal supply house for credit after he started organizing things.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X