X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on a Kitchen Sink Drain

I have a little problem with my kitchen sink that I was hoping someone could help me with. When I let the water run into the drain it drains fine...when I turn the water off the rest of the water drains away...about 2-3 seconds after all the water is gone it starts making this glug, glug, glug sound. The sound continues for about 5-6 seconds and then stops...it is really annoying.

We don't have any stoppages or problems with a backup right now, it seems like it has something to do with the air in the pipes.

ANy help on stopping this would be great.
    Thanks,

Sounds like the vent of that fixture is stopped. But stay-tuned for better advice from Plumber Rick and Plumber.

the dog
    the dog

Comment

Yes a vent may well be blocked. Also I think you have a line close to being blocked farther down the drain.

If you fill the sink up all the way, or both sides if you have a two pan sink, and let the water drain completely all at once what happens?

Also, do you hear deep gurgling sounds when water is drained from other fixtures?
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

you have 1 of 2 things going on. the line is very close to plugging up. are any other fixtures showing any signs of a stoppage. out here lots of kitchens share the same 2'' waste line as the washing machine. the kitchen and washer are the 2 worst fixtures when it comes to stoppages. food grease, soap and lint. not to mention lots of water at once.

the second scenario is waste clinging onto the tailpiece of the sink. this usually causes more of a dripping sound than a gurgle. shower drains are more prone to this with a hair stoppage.

the fix to your noise is to properly snake out the affected line/ lines. if there are no other areas that affect the sink (laundry) then snake the sink with the trap off or preferably from a cleanout for the sink. use a proper cutter to help break the food or grease off the pipe. plenty of water to flush it out. with the cleanout you can run water in the sink while snaking. the best way is to hydro-jet the line, but it can get messy and is better left for a pro. not too many rental yards rent a hydro-jetter.

good luck.

rick.

Comment

How long have you lived there? How long has this problem been occuring? Was it sudden or did the problem seem to get worse gradually?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, let me answer a couple of the questions.

I have heard the Deep gurgling sound your talking about right before a stoppage...that sounds is different and you can hear it from several different drains around the house. This sound is much more hoolow soundinng and it is only at the Kitchen sink.

When I fill up the 2 sinks and drain it, it drains very quickly...no aapreant problems there.

I have lived in the house for 5 years...I have only had this problem for the last few months...In fact I just remembered that it really started after I put in a new sink...not sure if that matters or just coincedence.

If I cleaned out the vent could that help? again it is a hollow sound...more like clunck, clunck,clunck I guess.

Thanks again for any tips.

Comment

bkwa, if you have had this problem for several months, it's most likely not a stoppage. you mentioned that it started after the new sink installation. is it possible that the noise is caused by the lack of a properly installed trap? is the trap installation creating a siphon leg? if the trap is installed directly from the wall santee, it is probably correct. if the trap was elevated up above the center line of the santee, then you would have a siphon leg. this would cause a draining noise you referred to. check the trap installation and then not a bad idea to snake it anyways if you do it yourself.

rick.

Comment

Do you have a digital camera? Would you be willing to snap a photo or two of the plumbing under the sink for us?

Comment

I don't have a camera but I'll try to get a buddy of mine to come by and take a few shots and put them up.

Sorry Plumber Rick but I'm a real green horn...can you tell me what the Santee is? and also a siphon leg...I can pretty much figure it out based on the context that you used them in but I'm not familiar with the specific definitions of those terms.

Thanks much again,

Comment

Are your drain pipes aimed down hill?

Sorry, couldn't resist. A picture would be beneficial.

A drain that is extremely fast to the point of a very loud sucking sound is usually indicative of a blocked vent or the lack of a vent.
                    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I have seen more than one kitchen sink where the vent was sacrificed to add a bay-window. I would take a second just to look up at the roof and verify you have a vent to your kitchen sink.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hey everybody, have you ever seen a loop vent gurgle? I saw one once that was gurgling. I checked it though and it was to code.

Comment

Originally posted by Theron:
                          Hey everybody, have you ever seen a loop vent gurgle? I saw one once that was gurgling. I checked it though and it was to code.
                          It is fairly common for a loop vent (island sink) to gurgle when it needs cleaning or is improperly installed.
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

BKWA, I'm experincing the exact problem you are having. I recently installed a new sink and had to do some minor modifications on the plumbing underneath the sink. Now I get a loud knocking sound about 5 seconds after I turn the water off. Have you had any luck in fixing your problem? Thanks,

Comment

Sorry, I've been off line and busy with work. I have not had a chance to take pictures yet...to me it looks OK underneath??? Excuse my crude explanation but here is a written description:

We have a double sink with 2 down spouts that come straight down about 6 inches. The left down spout has an input drain site for the dishwasher. The right sink drain drops down and then runs left merging with the left down spout (below the dishwasher input site). The left side sink drain then continues down and then there is the trap bend. The trap itself is below the level of the horizontal run connecting the 2 sink drains. from the trap it goes straight down through the floor and into the pipes in the basement where it runs out.

I will check on the roof but I'm pretty certain there is not a vent right above the kitchen sink...

Not sure if this makes a darn but if sense but I guess I'm to the point where I need to either rework the plumbing underneath or install some ventilation.

Let me know what you think about either choice...thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X