Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

12" and 18" air chambers,Do You omit these in Your area?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" and 18" air chambers,Do You omit these in Your area?

I go 12" high on 1/2", and 18" on 3/4" copper. Are these in Your code! Tanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 12" and 18" air chambers,Do You omit these in Your area?

If you're talking about the diameter of the air chamber itself,

Then it would be 12" for a 3/4 a.c. & 18" for a 1/2 a.c.

On new const. I only install them at the highest fixture,

usually at the W.H., and on the tub valves.

Comment

I'm cutting them out.They are a hazard.If one is in a condition where a hammer arrestor is needed put in the proper mechanical

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        I'm cutting them out.They are a hazard.If one is in a condition where a hammer arrestor is needed put in the proper mechanical
        If It's a little boot leg remodel ,OK by Me. Inspectors up here won't sign off with out them. I wonder if they breed bacteria? Thanks Tool P.S. Wash Machine get Souix city Mech.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Very common here in Illinois. Here is the blurb about them in the code book.

f) Water Hammer. All building water supply systems shall be provided with air chambers or approved mechanical devices or water hammer arrestors to absorb high pressures. Water pressure absorbers shall be installed at the ends of long pipe runs or near batteries of fixtures.

1) Air Chambers − Where an air chamber is installed in a fixture supply, it shall be at least 12 inches in length and the same diameter as the fixture supply. An air chamber with a volume equivalent to one with the dimension listed above may also be used. Where an air chamber is installed in a riser, it shall be at least 24 inches in length and at least the same size as the riser.

2) Mechanical Devices − Where a mechanical device or water hammer arrestor is used, the manufacturer's specifications for location and installation shall be followed.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I like these, specifically the 660-SB
            Sioux Chief

Comment

That is what I use :-)

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              I like these, specifically the 660-SB
              Sioux Chief

Comment

not generally required here, but I did install the sioux chief ones on my parents washer machine a couple of weeks ago, their new high efficiency unit made a horrible racket without them.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Only required on "Hard Piping". In short, they are not required on PEX. Ya'll probably know why.

A field made one becomes useless in a short time. An inspector requiring them shows their lack of understanding of how water/plumbing works in my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Only required on "Hard Piping". In short, they are not required on PEX. Ya'll probably know why.

A field made one becomes useless in a short time. An inspector requiring them shows their lack of understanding of how water/plumbing works in my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

We typically get a call every monday from someone who bought a new HE washer over the weekend and it is banging like a drum. Go over screw on a couple hammer arrestors on the washer box and 95% of the time problem solved. We're supposed to have them on any solenoid valve operated appliance over 1/4" supply but the appliance guys like to take them off so they can push the washer back an extra inch.

Comment

The field made ones in my home, my mothers home and 1000 other homes are working perfectly. I have had calls of people that have been in their hiomes for 40+ years, complaining about water hammer, I go in shut the building down drain down the water to the lowest point, close all the taps turn the system back on and bleed the air out of the system and problem solved for another 40+ years.

But I guess I like useless things that seem to work.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          The field made ones in my home, my mothers home and 1000 other homes are working perfectly. I have had calls of people that have been in their hiomes for 40+ years, complaining about water hammer, I go in shut the building down drain down the water to the lowest point, close all the taps turn the system back on and bleed the air out of the system and problem solved for another 40+ years.

But I guess I like useless things that seem to work.
                          If you've seen it, I have to believe your experience. I've seen them waterlogged earlier.

How do we know the problem only occurred in the building every 40 years? Could happen every 3 years but they don't mention it. Just saying.

And we have 1000's of houses on the municipal system, hard piped, NOTHING on them for hammer, and never a hammer issue. So if it was common practice for everyone to put them on here (it isn't) one might conclude that they work. When in fact, they weren't doing anything.

If they last 40 years then it would seem there would never be a market or reason for a mechanical one. And that a mechanical one would then last for like....80 years. Because after the piston failed there would be another 40 year pocket of air to use.

J.C.

Comment

Revents worked for years but they came out with AAV's Galvanized pipe worked for years then they came out with copper then CPVC and Pex. My mother lived in her home for 40 years, and only had water hammer once that I can recall, and it was due to my brother did a repipe and left out the air chambers, I added the air chambers and all has been fine since then. That was about 20 years ago. And I can tell you if it happened just once in my mothers house, I would hear about it. She figures if she has two sons that are plumbers they both better fix her plumbing right.

I think the biggest issue I have seen is when people hire a hack to do a repipe and they under size the air chambers, I have seen them only 3" to 6" long when they should be 12"

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            If you've seen it, I have to believe your experience. I've seen them waterlogged earlier.

How do we know the problem only occurred in the building every 40 years? Could happen every 3 years but they don't mention it. Just saying.

And we have 1000's of houses on the municipal system, hard piped, NOTHING on them for hammer, and never a hammer issue. So if it was common practice for everyone to put them on here (it isn't) one might conclude that they work. When in fact, they weren't doing anything.

If they last 40 years then it would seem there would never be a market or reason for a mechanical one. And that a mechanical one would then last for like....80 years. Because after the piston failed there would be another 40 year pocket of air to use.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              Revents worked for years but they came out with AAV's Galvanized pipe worked for years then they came out with copper then CPVC and Pex. My mother lived in her home for 40 years, and only had water hammer once that I can recall, and it was due to my brother did a repipe and left out the air chambers, I added the air chambers and all has been fine since then. That was about 20 years ago. And I can tell you if it happened just once in my mothers house, I would hear about it. She figures if she has two sons that are plumbers they both better fix her plumbing right.

I think the biggest issue I have seen is when people hire a hack to do a repipe and they under size the air chambers, I have seen them only 3" to 6" long when they should be 12"
                              I picture your mom slapping you with a rolled up newspaper. "You hear that!? You hear that Ron!?"

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X