X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curbless showers , any thoughts ??

Never done one. A god send for someone in a wheelchair,I'm sure. Gal wanted one years back,Inspector said " I need a DR. to request it! I can see a C.P.E. Membrane in shower and out. Area drain Out, troth drain in shower.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Curbless showers , any thoughts ??

I've done them. With a center drain.

Existing house, slab. Cut it out, grade, re-pour.

Existing house, crawlspace, got to get down on the floor joists and reinforce.

Make it big enough for incidental splashing. Trough drain sounds easier and maybe more interesting.

Look who I'm talking too. Probably already got it all figured out Pops.

J.C.

Comment

Done a few, and have another next month to do. Not really that hard. I use the Nobel TS membrane. I usually do a 1/2" backer on the bathroom floor, then a selflevel to bring up the bathroom floor a little so that the floor in the shower is the low spot in the room. I then slope my shower floor up to the selflevel. Install the membrane in the shower area and then use TEC hydraflex on the walls in the shower and rest of the floor. Tile and grout, and done. The added height is usually not an issue because of wood floors or underlayment in carpeted areas. If not, I gradually slope the area at the doors and put a sloped wedge under the carpet to slightly ramp it.

Comment

You don't use deck mud and wire on Your shower floor ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Old school, old technology....

We use Schluter systems. Depending on how elebarate you want to go you can have a tile ready shower in less then eight hours, with these new technology systems.

Seriously, who in there right mind these days wants to lug 500 - 800 lbs of dry pack up to a second floor and then float it. Oh and lets not forget the cement board and the mess it makes cutting it.

I love the Schluter and Wedi systems.

Comment

I have a unique way of doing my shower floors. I use layers of backer board and thinset. One layer of 1/2" with a 10" hole centered on the drain, then a border 24" (if that large) of 1/2" backer around the outer edge (1/4" if smaller, what ever is needed to attain 1/4".slope per foot) Then, mud in thinset with a 1/2" notch trowel(be very liberal). Take a piece of 1/4" backer and place over the thinset. Slowly tighten 8 backer screws around the 10" hole in the middle (like lug nuts) Tighten them until tight with the 1/2" piece. Then run screws around the outer edge where the border is. Now you have a perfect sloped floor, no dips, no holes, now bird baths, no waves, just a perfect 1/4" per foot slope. Then backer the walls (I recommend that you do the majority of the walls first from the top down so to eliminating the amount of walking on the floor to much as the 1/4" is still pretty flimsy until the thinset cures). Fill in the bottom backer board pieces, then put the pre-form Nobel drain flashing in the center hole per instructions. Then, mark out your shower floor dimensions on the Nobel TS sheeting, cut, fold corners. Then, with a 3/16" v-notch trowel apply thinset to the floor and up the walls the height you cut your liner. Then, cut a hole in the middle of the liner to match the indentation of the drain flashing. Put a bead of Nobel sealent around the outer edge of the flashing (2 beads according to instructions). Place the liner in the shower, and adjust its placement before firmly pressing into the thinset. It doesn't move after that. I use a rounded edged pool float to push out any air bubbles and make sure its flat. Then, put Nobel sealent in the folded corners (be liberal). Mud in the center around the drain, and finally use some type of waterproofing on the walls, roll it on down over the membrane as to create a water tight shell. Now tile it the next day!

As for backer, I only use USG fiberock, 1/2" only, 1/4" only if I have to. I cut it with the Ridgid R3400/01 fiber cement saw, there is no dust!

Comment

My tile Guy is 65 and learned from His Dad. I do the walls with 30 lb tar paper, 1/2" Hardy, and He floats 2 layers of wire and mud, on pan. CPE LINER OVER 1ST 1/4 " per ft pitch,pan 2nd layer of wire and Mud,of course plastic sub drain ring for trapped water. I like this,rock solid pan,no voids! Thanks Tool

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Wire in a shower pan is worthless, it rusts out. I have torn out old shower pans with metal lath, its nothing but powdered rust. Before I changed to the method above, I would do the two layers of mud as you stated with the pvc liner. In the top layer I would put the plastic lath in that layer.

What I really like about the way I do it now, there is no place for water to sit.

Comment

I float out my Shower bases with deck mud. Why not? It's portland and sand. Cheap and works just fine. Tiling right is hard work, it's part of the job. I don't care for the premade schluter bases. They always leave a "hollow" sound under the tile which drives me crazy. I do use the kerdi surface applied membrane to water proof the shower. I won't use pan liner anymore. Curb-less showers are easy. The key is to a curb-less shower is too water proof the whole bathroom floor, not just the shower base. This can be as easy as using ditra or kerdi on the bathroom floor or by using a surface applied liquid membrane like Hydro Ban. making sure the transition from shower base to bathroom floor is water proof and continuous.
                  Will Rogers Plumbing
                  Moore, Oklahoma
                  (
                  405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                  http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

[QUOTE=Alphacowboy;359689]Wire in a shower pan is worthless, it rusts out. Just tore out a 40 year old wire pan,wired and rock solid! Maybe we shouldn't use steel in driveways, were it rains! How do You think that 10" circle trampoline will do in 40 years

Comment

LOL, good point tool, but look at what they use now, its coated rebar, you don't see people using non-coated rebar in outdoor projects. BTW, was it wire or mesh? I could see wire lath lasting, wire mesh no so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                        LOL, good point tool, but look at what they use now, its coated rebar, you don't see people using non-coated rebar in outdoor projects. BTW, was it wire or mesh? I could see wire lath lasting, wire mesh no so much.
                        Galvy chicken wire. Re bar gets epoxy on govt.work, or bridges here. We arn't using salt on Cal. Sunny roadways , It's not necessary.

Comment

Maybe the shower I found with the rotted mesh was due to the salt in our water from having to soften our water? The water here is nasty rusty and hard. Who knows.

Comment

There is a difference to a drive way that sees rain once a week(maybe once every 6 months in my neck of the woods with the drought), then a shower base that stays wet 24/7. A shower will get used everyday atleast once, and without it being exposed to sunlight it will never dry out completely. That is why I use Kerdi or make custom pans out of Hydro-ban because the mud bed will never get wet because the "pan" is on top of the mud bed instead of under neath it like it is in a pan liner shower.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I don't do the tile or any of the major carpentry work. What I do tell the customer and the carpenter on anything shower or tub that's tile related to put treated lumber in the area. The cost difference is very little in the total.

Just a tip.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X