X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lockridge tools

Rick is your shop set up like a hardware store?

Comment

no, that's a photo from the hardware store that joey and i help out on sundays.

i use to work there in jr. high school.

dan, thanks for the jetter. it's getting used so much, i might need to have you find me another

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

max, the lockridge tool went out usps today/ friday. suppose to be there monday

it's a real usa lockridge tool. believe it or not the price tag sticker is from april 1994

now who else needs the last 4- 1/2'' and the last 2- 7/16''

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          max, the lockridge tool went out usps today/ friday. suppose to be there monday

it's a real usa lockridge tool. believe it or not the price tag sticker is from april 1994

now who else needs the last 4- 1/2'' and the last 2- 7/16''

rick.
          That's an old sticker but how old is the tool?

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

the sticker is the original sticker. so it's as old as the distributor who sold it to them, had it in stock.

it might be as old as you mark

did they even have spaghetti back then

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I ve been following this thread from the beginning and am very curious as the what these tools do and what beading your are referring to?

Also, what do you mean by spaghetti?

I can't cross ref any of this anywhere else online

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CTPlumberAL View Post
                I ve been following this thread from the beginning and am very curious as the what these tools do and what beading your are referring to?

Also, what do you mean by spaghetti?

I can't cross ref any of this anywhere else online

thanks
                Spaghetti is a supply tubing used on plumbing fixtures. It comes in 6' straight lengths and is available in chrome plate. They are available in 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2". After making up your supply lines you slide your supply nuts and friction rings on (small brass looking washers sized for the tubing) and then use the beading tool to prevent the supplies from pulling out of the stop or fixture.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

exactly what mark said. a dripping rubber cone washer is 1 thing, but a piece of chrome tubing that has pulled out off the connection and is flowing is what the lockridge tool prevents.

i've seen plenty of floods from not beading the tubing. the last one i saw was a hot water line and caused 140,000 in damage to a ground floor condo building. i got the call at 5 am to find the leak.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

thanks for the better description.

We call "spaghetti," rigid supply lines down here and it would surprise me if anyone "beads" the ferrule for the compression fitting.

Comment

Close!
                      you know that rubber cone washer that comes with the supply nut in your new toilets? you would take that rubber washer, the supply nut, and what amounts to that rigid supply line with no head on it, and make a water tight connection

Originally posted by CTPlumberAL View Post
                      thanks for the better description.

We call "spaghetti," rigid supply lines down here and it would surprise me if anyone "beads" the ferrule for the compression fitting.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Plumber Rick's lockridge tool arrived today. I'll install the supplies in the next couple of days and attempt to post some photos to make it even clearer.

Thanks Rick!

Comment

Here is a picture of a the nickle supply line, and the fitting (slip nut, friction washer, and cone washer)

Click image for larger version

Name:	04688aac0cd94fdd6dcc348fbc2e1d86.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	15507

This one shows it assembled and ready for beading along with the lockridge tool (lower middle). The tool on the right is a deburring tool.

Name:	0fa576cffafb56d42aef107913c9bffc.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	15508

The lockridge tool has a small ball bearing that pushes out as the tool is turned. The result is small ridge about 1/2" from the end of the tube. It is hard to see, but here is a pic:

Name:	b8bfdb1702e17fa07aea394128071a6a.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	15509

And here is everything put together:

Name:	b2e68731c0d1148b0be1ccf293649302.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	15510

Comment

I apparently can not post pictures. There are a few at photobucket:

Pictures by MaxFrister - Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by MaxFrister View Post
                              I apparently can not post pictures. There are a few at photobucket:

Pictures by MaxFrister - Photobucket
                              Thanks so much for posting the pic, it helps with a visual

Nice work btw!

Comment

I thought I would leave a few notes here for the next poor soul that needs to install nickle plated ridged supply lines. In no particular order...

-- There is no standard for the wall thickness for the tubing and many of the nickle supplies are apparently heavy walled compared to commercial chrome ones. I found the 7/16 lockridge tool too small (the size refers to tubing size, that is outside diameter) and the 1/2 lockridge tool too large. I ended up using the 7/16th tool with 2 or 3 small, sandpaper shims. The rough side was placed towards the tool to make the shim turn along with the tool.

-- Depending upon the water pressure, fixture stability, and tubing geometry, it may be possible to skip the lockridge with compression fittings. For example, the toilet supply is a short run to a tank mounted to the wall so it can not move, the ends of the supply are a short straight run apart -- pushing on each other, and the tube extends about 1-1/4" into the ballcock. In this case, I don't think the ridge was necessary for the ballcock end and the angle-stop end has a washer soldered to the tube. But, in the case of the sink, the distances are further with more bends and the tube only extends ~1/2" into the faucets. In that case, I think the lockridge was required.

-- Some of the friction washers I had were flimsy with oversized holes. I replaced them with heavier ones and could not slip over the formed lockridge.

-- I had some difficulty bending the tubing. As I mentioned, it was a heavy gauge. The spring benders were okay on long runs, but not for short runs or tight bends and tended to mark up the tubing. The handled bender (Ridgid 398) worked better but the tight radius of the turns tended to crack the nickle plating and it still marked up the tubing a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X