X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Tennant authorize work?

I usually don't contact the Owner for small jobs when the Tennant states that he has the Owners permission. Mostly loose undersink piping, simple drain cleaning and such. But I am unsure of exactly how much rights and responsiblily the Tennant actually has. The Tennant has the right to live in a safe and livible home and if the Owner refuses to fix something obvious, does the Tennant have the "right" to get the job done? Can the Owner sue the Contractor, just for working on the property regardless of quality of work?

What say you?

Re: Can a Tennant authorize work?

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
    I usually don't contact the Owner for small jobs when the Tennant states that he has the Owners permission. Mostly loose undersink piping, simple drain cleaning and such. But I am unsure of exactly how much rights and responsiblily the Tennant actually has. The Tennant has the right to live in a safe and livible home and if the Owner refuses to fix something obvious, does the Tennant have the "right" to get the job done? Can the Owner sue the Contractor, just for working on the property regardless of quality of work?

What say you?
    If the condition is an emergency and the tenant cannot get in contact with the owner, the tenant can authorize and PAY for the work. After that the tenant can withhold the amount paid to you from the rent. If you do work for the tenant without the owners authorization you will likely change from a plumber to a plaintiff.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The way we always handle it is whom ever calls us pays us. We do not want to play the tenant, landlord games.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

My response to receiving a bill from anyone that I didn't authorize to do the work would be "Thank you for the free sample".

Can a Plumbing Salesman write an order for material for you Company without you authorizing it? Same thing.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 09-22-2011, 03:33 PM.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

For construction projects, an owner of a building has the right to post a "Notice of Non Responsibility" on the front door (for instance a Star Bucks being built) The notice pretty much states that the Prime Contractor and any Sub Contractors have no rights to file a lien on the property for non payment by the tennant.

I agree with the others, whoever initiated the contract gets the bill.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

If the landlord didn't say ya, do it I'll pay for that, we don't do it. We will charge them the service call they already know they have to pay and come back when they give us the go ahead.

Comment

I just came across this today w/c seal leaking and floor is rotted. The tenant said just do it. No way I'm cutting up the floor without the owners ok. Don't feel like going to court.

Comment

Being a landlord, I have found it's very important to spell these things out in the contract. The contract is the law. If you have a dispute with a tenant, the judge is going to read the contract that you both signed and what it says in the contract is what goes. Now, there are some protections that the local governments have made law that usually protects the tenant. Your contract probably can't trump those laws.
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                  Being a landlord, I have found it's very important to spell these things out in the contract. The contract is the law. If you have a dispute with a tenant, the judge is going to read the contract that you both signed and what it says in the contract is what goes. Now, there are some protections that the local governments have made law that usually protects the tenant. Your contract probably can't trump those laws.
                  What you say is true, however you cannot have things in the contract that contradict the law (even smalls stuff) and have it hold water in court. In some states, especially California, the landlord almost always looses. Other states like Nevada, the tenant gets the shaft.
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                  X