X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inspector does not know his code

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't waste my time, 20 bucks in fittings maybe, so what. Move on and forget about it.
    I've failed 5 inspections in over 25 yrs. Every inspection I have failed has been reversed upon review and the same inspector has been proven wrong each time. No question about it. 20 0ther plumbers have had the same problems. The guy needs to go......he needs to quit or be terminated. I also have a call into the state inspector........Ultimately they have the power here. Every time a city ammendment is argued in court the state wins...EVERYTIME. This time it happen like always the code does not require what the inspector "wants" and like I told him it does not matter what you or anyone else wants......what matters is what the code says and I'm willing to go to court to prove it. Simple as that. I'm tired of his B.S. and so is everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      There are some towns that use a rent-a-inspector, I forget the name of the company right off hand. Anyways the rent-a-inspector always finds something, or makes up something to fail you so they can get a reinspection fee. The Illinois state code does not specify type of clean out, but most villages, will require a tee put in the line can be rodded both directions, unless we are putting in an outside clean out right at the foundation on an overhead sewer then they will allow a wye. I always put in a tee for a clean out, never bothered spending the extra dough on a two clean out tee, just use a san tee on its back. The rod will go which ever way I want it to go.

The purpose of the cleanout at the junction of the owners sewer and the utility lateral is so the utility can easily determine if the lateral is open or not. It also provides access for them to insert their camera or jetter. The purpose of a two way cleanout is to go both ways......they have no business going back toward the house. The code was met because a two way was already upstream. I have had the drivers of the ram-jet truck specifically tell me they want combinations installed so their big azz jetter hose will run right in. They dont jet the other way....liability issues.

Comment

Just curious, was your inspector the "final authority" in the building department? Does he have a boss? Does he personally carry a city or state plumbing license?
        BTW, how was Vegas?
        Last edited by ArizonaPlumber; 09-22-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
          Just curious, was your inspector the "final authority" in the building department? Does he have a boss?
          BTW, how was Vegas?
          A judge is always the final authority here. The Judges are fair here........I have my proof in black and white and I dont expect a problem. The guy is harrassing me simple as that and I'ma make a formal complaint about it. I'm one of many that have complained before. I'm just going to point out the code to him and simply make a claim against the city. No problem. lawyer said its not a problem and they will most likley pay it,happens all the time.

He hung up on me also. But I know why its because I pinned him down and he knew the code did not state a two way must be installed. He is making up the rules as he goes or the whole department is........I dont know but I know he has screwed me over time and time again about violations that are not violations.

Vegas was good....glad to be home.

Yes he has a boss but his boss is out of town and he is the next in charge. The homeowner cannot leave a hole open until his boss gets back in town. he is the second in charge so he is the boss right now.

He F'd up.......simple as that and this time its going to cost them some money,I warned them before hand i will expect to be compensated by the city for doing work twice because the inspector doesn't know the code nor care enough to look it up.
          Last edited by TheMaster; 09-22-2011, 09:06 PM.

Comment

This whole place can F'off.......I'll move out of this biotch overnight and never come back. I can do what I do any where in the country because I'm that good at it. I'm sick of this F'n city anyway.......it doesn't deserve me to live here. I'm considering a 60 mile move east and throwing up my finger on the way out. People do it all the time.

Comment

problem with a single riser 2 way cleanout is unless you know it's there, you can end up snaking the wrong direction when the sewer is full and you can't see.

if needed i would use 2 criss crossing combys or a no hub texas twin.

ron, you're right , a san tee on it';s back will accomplish the automatic downstream direction and with a little bend, will go upstream just fine. i've used that trick too when needed.

but i've also perfected pushing a camera backwards in a comby along with a jetter and a sectional cable. it can be done when necessary.

problem with fighting the city is they don't forget. you might be right in your mind and in the code. but the inspector will remember and so will the others in the city. sort of like burring the bridge.

i've submitted bills to the building and they've fought th battle to get paid.

i once had a meeting with the city of beverly hills and even brought my own sewer tape as proof just to win a battle with the head sanitation boss. took a couple hours and all i got was a thank you and nice video. not even an apology letter. but i'm sure he heard from his superiors when i left.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                problem with a single riser 2 way cleanout is unless you know it's there, you can end up snaking the wrong direction when the sewer is full and you can't see.

if needed i would use 2 criss crossing combys or a no hub texas twin.

ron, you're right , a san tee on it';s back will accomplish the automatic downstream direction and with a little bend, will go upstream just fine. i've used that trick too when needed.

but i've also perfected pushing a camera backwards in a comby along with a jetter and a sectional cable. it can be done when necessary.

problem with fighting the city is they don't forget. you might be right in your mind and in the code. but the inspector will remember and so will the others in the city. sort of like burring the bridge.

i've submitted bills to the building and they've fought th battle to get paid.

i once had a meeting with the city of beverly hills and even brought my own sewer tape as proof just to win a battle with the head sanitation boss. took a couple hours and all i got was a thank you and nice video. not even an apology letter. but i'm sure he heard from his superiors when i left.

rick.
                I have no problem installing what the code requires or asks for. I do however have a problem with this one particular inspector making up his own rules and expecting everyone to be mind readers. the information is on the website for a reason.....thats the code. This cowboy inspector is deciding upon himself that he can require a two way cleanout and the law does not state that.....it says a cleanout. other parts of the code specify two way cleanouts...such as at the junction of the building drain and building sewer......however it does not specify a two way at the street lateral/sewer connection. the reason why a two is not required is because its already served by the upstream two way cleanout and the water company has no business jetting back toward the owners property,......they are prohibited by the water departemnt from doing it for liability reasons.......they even said so today on the phone. they also said they do not require a two way cleanout but request one.

This inspector has a bad habit of dreaming up B.S. in his head.......many other plumbers have had multiple problems.....the head inspector has warned him many times and he has multiple complinats in his file.

I dont care who remembers what.....I'm tired of it.....I'm the one remembering. I'm going to start video taping all my inspections and how he acts and what he says. He doesn't understand that he works for me......as a taxpayer I pay his check. I'm going to mkake that perfectly clear along with showing him the code in black and white and I'm going to demand an answer.

Comment

I've been busy as a mofo since I have been back from Vegas.....this mofo held me up today and cost me time and that equals money....Plus all the aggrevation. My customer was also pizzed off because I sent him the link to the code and gave him the article number. I suspect he will complain also because he wanted to fill the hole back up......he dug the hole. He clearly read a cleanout was to be installed and no mention of a two way at that junction. Its not required nor is it needed. The water provider has no valid reason to go back toward the house for anything.........that cleanout ios for them to maintain the lateral.....all other stopagges are to be handled by a licensed drain cleaning company or a licensed plumber.

I refuse to install a fitting thats not required so the water provider can take business away from the trades......the gas company is installing water heaters.......next the water company will be installing faucets and water mains..... F those mofos.

Thats one reason why I dont have a camera......the water company will run out and camera the whole F'n line for free if a person complains enough about their sewer....no need to call the plumber. F them bastards...all of them. I'm about to kick the ant bed............

Comment

Rick, I never had a problem knowing which way my rod is going in a full to the top clean out that has a Two way tee or San Tee. Also no need to put a bend on the rod for a San Tee.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    Ron's Facebook
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Rick, I never had a problem knowing which way my rod is going in a full to the top clean out that has a Two way tee or San Tee. Also no need to put a bend on the rod for a San Tee.
                      You have 100 times the skill as the guys on the ram truck.....the guy who knows how to do it doesn't......he lets the flunky riding with him do it. I've seen them struggle many times trying to get the big jetter hose to run the right way....especially when their old azz clay lateral is packed full for roots and a month worth of toilet paper and its 7' deep.

The guys I've talked to one the ram jet trucks want a combo.....they do not want a two way. Atleast the ones I've talked to say that. Its all about the lateral line......they have no concern with the customers sewer upstream. Or they shouldn't....and I dam sure shouldn't be required to do work for their benefit thats not even a code!!!!!!!!

Comment

problem out here ron is that 95% of cleanouts are 1 directional combys. unless you're aware it's a 2 way, you have a good chance to go backwards. of course there's the idiot that installs a 45 on a 2 way and no way to feel the bottom.

i prefer a twin riser if i need a 2 way. especially when the line is full and you're not looking for a 2 way down below.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Good for You Master. I know the feeling and frustration. In S.F. We have a jack off
                          DAN S. that wanted a way to dump sitting water in the shower riser. He makes up code! Every time I hit a supply house there I ask the plumbers for their for their
                          best Dan the Joker story. I like the full banded mission.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Same inspector threatened to faila rough in /top out inspection on a job I did a couple years back. I had a 5,000.00 check waiting on me when i got that inspection. He walks in doesn't say hello...f'k you or anything.....ice cold. He proceeds to walk around trying to find somthing wrong and he couldn't because I rough in perfect. I make it a point to be perfect with new work. So he proceeds to make a viloation up out of the F'n blue.

hw says my two lavatories are not vented and are s-traped because the connect 12' down the wall and connect to the vertical stack with a wye and not a sanitary tee. I was Like WTF is this f'r smokin??? The lavatories had a common vent dead center of the two lav arms that measured 30" each. Through the roof vent. he didn't understand that after I vented the two lavatories I could connect the the vertical stack with san tee or a wye........I chose a wye because i have seen san tees build up and close off the larger stack. For instance a 1.25" lav arm that connects to a 3"x1.25" san. tee would eventually close off the 3" building in the throat of the san tee......in the sweep to vertical.

I threatened to call the chief inspector and he passed it but said "I'll let it go this time" WTF????? I talked to the chief about a week later and he said I was right and he excplained it to the guy..This inspector is either plain stupid or he is harassing people. Either way its unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                              Same inspector threatened to faila rough in /top out inspection on a job I did a couple years back. I had a 5,000.00 check waiting on me when i got that inspection. He walks in doesn't say hello...f'k you or anything.....ice cold. He proceeds to walk around trying to find somthing wrong and he couldn't because I rough in perfect. I make it a point to be perfect with new work. So he proceeds to make a viloation up out of the F'n blue.

hw says my two lavatories are not vented and are s-traped because the connect 12' down the wall and connect to the vertical stack with a wye and not a sanitary tee. I was Like WTF is this f'r smokin??? The lavatories had a common vent dead center of the two lav arms that measured 30" each. Through the roof vent. he didn't understand that after I vented the two lavatories I could connect the the vertical stack with san tee or a wye........I chose a wye because i have seen san tees build up and close off the larger stack. For instance a 1.25" lav arm that connects to a 3"x1.25" san. tee would eventually close off the 3" building in the throat of the san tee......in the sweep to vertical.

I threatened to call the chief inspector and he passed it but said "I'll let it go this time" WTF????? I talked to the chief about a week later and he said I was right and he excplained it to the guy..This inspector is either plain stupid or he is harassing people. Either way its unacceptable.
                              Talk to the city council about this Azz.
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

There are some towns that use a rent-a-inspector, I forget the name of the company right off hand. Anyways the rent-a-inspector always finds something, or makes up something to fail you so they can get a reinspection fee. The Illinois state code does not specify type of clean out, but most villages, will require a tee put in the line can be rodded both directions, unless we are putting in an outside clean out right at the foundation on an overhead sewer then they will allow a wye. I always put in a tee for a clean out, never bothered spending the extra dough on a two clean out tee, just use a san tee on its back. The rod will go which ever way I want it to go.
                                That would be T.P.I. inspections out of South Elgin and there is another company out of Hoffman Estates,T.P.I. can be a real PITA to deal with,pissed them off 2 years ago by getting a state inspector to over rule them on a Jewel store remodel,the old man didn't like losing.
                                Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Working...
                                X