This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inspector does not know his code

This inspector is an arrogant idiot that has nothing professional about him. He will not look up any code references. His answer is..."Thats what we have enforced for 3 years" My answer is..."Then you have unlawfully enforced somthing thats not a code for 3 years......just because you enforce it doesn't make it right and doesn't make it legal" He says that they cannot specify every fitting in the code. WTF???? They specify fittings in the code and the types of cleanouts all through the code.

They are wrong and they know it. I'm filing a claim to be paid for my extra work they caused me and I'm filing a harrassment report on nthe inspector. I'm also going to file a lawsuit to keep this particular inspector from ever inspecting one of my jobs again.

The very code he referenced specifically states "a cleanout must be installed" NOT ONE MENTION OF WHAT TYPE. That means I can use ANY cleanout that meets the states code. My combo met the state code and there is nothing in the ammendments to the state code that prevents me from using it.

He needs to be fired.

I'm willing to spend a few thousand with a lawyer to have this guy put in his place. Everyone in the plumbing industry here has the same opinion about this inspector...even the supply house workers know.

I'm considering making a few signs and walking the sidewalks downtown at the court house. Everyone thinks plumbing is so expensive and I would like to inform the general public as to some of the reason why.
    Last edited by TheMaster; 09-23-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
        Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
        Sure will. I heard through the grapevine today his complaint folder is getting bigger and bigger. I'll write letters to the Governor's office if I need to........I'm not stopping this time. This has went on since he started working there and its going to stop. If he cant follow the rules he needs to be terminated. He is harrassing the wrong person for the last time. I'm going to request to see the complaints against him.......or my lawyer is. If he has a history of this which I know he does we are filing a harrassment suit and may even bring other plumbers in on the case also as witnesses.

Comment

Me: Why did you fail my job?
          Inspector: because a two way cleanout is required
          Me: You mean your requesting it or its required?
          Inspector: Its required by the city code
          Me: No its not
          Inspector: Yes it is when is the last time you read it on the website
          Me: I review it on a regular basis and the city ammendments do not say anything about a two way at the street
          Inspector: Its in the code
          Me: I say its not in the code,so where in the code is it whats the reference number because I'm telling you its not in the code.
          Inspector: Its on the website I dont care what you say or do I'm not passing it until you install the two way
          Me: You say its in the code but you cant tell me where. because its not in the code.
          Inspector: Click hung up

This is what the code reads below. Take note of the last code.

Change Section 706 Connections between drainage piping and fittings to read as follows:
          706.3 Installation of fittings
          . Fittings shall be installed to guide sewage and waste in the direction of flow. Change in direction shall be made by fittings installed in accordance with Table 706.3. Change in direction by combination fittings, side inlets or increasers shall be installed in accordance with Table 706.3 based on pattern of flow created by the fitting. Double sanitary tee pattern of 2 inches (50.8mm) or less shall not receive discharge from fixtures or appliances with pumping action discharge.
          Delete Section 706.4 in its entirety.
          Change Section 708 Cleanouts.
          708.3.2 Change to read;
          Building sewers shall be provided with cleanouts located not more than 80 feet apart measured from the upstream entrance of the cleanout. (The rest of chapter as written in code).
          708.3.3 Change to read; Cleanouts shall be installed at each change of direction greater than 45 degrees (0.79 rad) in the building sewer.
          708.3.5.1 Building sewer and property service lateral connection. There shall be a clean out located at sewer conjunction of service lateral and building sewer outside of right of way.

Comment

I think I see where your inspector is having a problem:

Your Plumbing Code

SECTION 708

CLEANOUTS

*Delete Section 708.3.1 ‘Horizontal drains within buildings’ and substitute the following:
            708.3.1 Horizontal drains within buildings. Each horizontal drainage pipe shall be provided
            with a cleanout at the upstream end of the pipe and shall be provided with cleanouts located not
            more than 100 feet (30 480 mm) apart.
            Exceptions: The following plumbing arrangements are acceptable in lieu of the upstream
            cleanout:
            1. “P” traps connected to the drainage piping with slip joints or ground joint connections.
            GA International Plumbing Code Amendments 2007 13
            2. “P” traps into which floor drains, shower drains, or tub drains with removable strainers
            discharge.
            3. “P” traps into which the straight-through type waste and overflow discharge with the
            overflow connecting to the top of the tee.
            4. “P” traps into which residential washing machines discharge.
            5. Test tees or cleanouts in a vertical pipe above the flood-level rim of the fixtures that the
            horizontal pipe serves and not more than 4 feet (1219 mm) above the finish floor.
            6. Cleanout near the junction of the building drain and the building sewer which may be
            rodded both ways.
            7. Water closets for the water closet fixture branch only.
            (Effective January 1, 2007)

*Revise Section 708.3.2 ‘Building sewers’ to read as follows:
            708.3.2 Building sewers. Building sewers shall be provided with cleanouts located not more
            than 100 feet (30 480 mm) apart measured from the upstream entrance of the cleanout. An
            additional cleanout shall be provided within 10 feet (3048 mm) of the public right of way. For
            building sewers 8 inches (203 mm) and larger, manholes shall be provided and located at each
            change in direction and at intervals of not more than 400 feet (122 m). Manholes and manhole
            covers shall be of an approved type.

*Delete Section 708.3.4 ‘Base of stack’ without substitution.

*Revise Section 708.3.5 ‘Building drain and building sewer junction’ to read as follows:
            708.3.5 Building drain and building sewer junction. There shall be a cleanout installed at or
            near the junction of the building drain and the building sewer. The cleanout shall be outside the
            building wall unless otherwise approved and shall be brought up to finished ground level. An
            approved two-way cleanout is allowed to be used at this location to serve as a required cleanout
            for both the building drain and building sewer.

*Revise first sentence of Section 708.7 ‘Minimum size’ to read as follows:
            708.7 Minimum size. Cleanouts shall be the same nominal size as the pipe they are connected
            to, up to 4 inches (102 mm). For pipes larger… (Remainder of Section left unchanged)

Local Amendments

Change Section 708 Cleanouts.

708.3.2 Change to read; Building sewers shall be provided with cleanouts located not more
            than 80 feet apart measured from the upstream entrance of the cleanout. (The rest of chapter as
            written in code).

708.3.3 Change to read; Cleanouts shall be installed at each change of direction greater than 45
            degrees (0.79 rad) in the building sewer.

708.3.5.1 Building sewer and property service lateral connection. There shall be a clean out
            located at sewer conjunction of service lateral and building sewer outside of right of way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think he is confusing allowed with required.

Mark

BTW: You may be using the 2009 IPC by now.
            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-23-2011, 09:06 PM.
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

For some reason we all seem to end up with a nut-job as an inspector once in awhile. I had the worst one in the whole state here. Exactly like tooly's Dan and TheMaster.

Just an example: I was asked by a friend/dentist if I wanted to do an upgrade on their office. I knew where it was and what else I had going on. so I declined. And I told the owners they were gonna' have problems with the plumbing inspector no matter what. They wanted to basically do an "upfit". There are companies that specialize in dental upfits. Cabinets, chairs, x-ray, etc. but not plumbing and electrical. The owners wanted to do everything by the book (Mistake. Yeah, I said it...a mistake.) so they got permits. Replaced some sinks, faucets, toilets. Only one or two maybe had the trap arm extended. Everything else in the same place. Plumbing inspector passed the so called "rough-in". Nothing really to look at, just a walk through.

Then he comes for the final and fails everything that is related to ADA code. Wants them to ADA the whole building. Bathroom doors...the works. Even fails, and notes, ADA violations in non-public facilities. Keep in mind that the building is grandfathered, good or bad, from any of this provided it is not sold. Fails it and will not budge on anything. They finally have to go to the inspection department and raise holy he!! to get the thing over with.

Another one:
              I once went to a CE class. Asked the guy beside me where he was from. He tells me. I tell him where I am from. His eyes get big. Says, "Is that crazy inspector still there. We work for K Hovnaian homes (Or one of the larger builders, can't remember exactly) that was starting a subdivision. We had the first seven permits pulled and started. We never could pass an inspection. We finally just cut bait and left. Let them have the permit fees and remove us from it. Wasn't worth it."

Story after story like that. They finally transferred him to another department. They probably had too or somebody was going to do something crazy and hurt him.

Funny thing is I posted some pics on here and asked peoples opinions of the work. Many had legitimate/negative things to say about it. He did the work and I was called to finish it.

Something in the personality I guess. Maybe they got picked on too much when they were younger.

J.C.

Comment

I truly believe it is important to take an Inspector to task when they are wrong.

Mark

Comment

Toutahnow,the problem is not at the building drain/building sewer connection.......that has a two way cleanout existing on the job. It is located 45' upstream of the building sewer/public lateral junction. My inspector failed my job for not installing a two way cleanout at the street.....the sewer/lateral connection cleanout. I installed a wye&1/8th bend and he failed it.

This inspector referenced the citys ammendments required a two way cleanout. It simply does not. He is arrogant and is wrong more often than not. Now its cost me money and he crossed the line. i'ma put an end to his B.S. I'm tired of it and so is almost every plumber in the city.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I truly believe it is important to take an Inspector to task when they are wrong.

Mark
                    Mark that would be a full time job with Dan S. in S.F. !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      Toutahnow,the problem is not at the building drain/building sewer connection.......that has a two way cleanout existing on the job. It is located 45' upstream of the building sewer/public lateral junction. My inspector failed my job for not installing a two way cleanout at the street.....the sewer/lateral connection cleanout. I installed a wye&1/8th bend and he failed it.

This inspector referenced the citys ammendments required a two way cleanout. It simply does not. He is arrogant and is wrong more often than not. Now its cost me money and he crossed the line. i'ma put an end to his B.S. I'm tired of it and so is almost every plumber in the city.

I hear you but that is the only place that even mentions a 2-way cleanout.

Mark

Comment

Really?

Funny thing is, you still changed it.

After reading all your pissing and whining, in the end, he owned you.

Thank god we don't have a hole inspectors like that here (or at least I haven't ran into them yet)
                        Not sure I would challenge any inspector over something so small. They tend to have the power to leave these little red stickers, and if I have to make him think his **** doesn't stink, then by god by the time he leaves my inspection I will have him convinced he shits solid chunks of perfume.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                          Really?

Funny thing is, you still changed it.

After reading all your pissing and whining, in the end, he owned you.

Thank god we don't have a hole inspectors like that here (or at least I haven't ran into them yet)
                          Not sure I would challenge any inspector over something so small. They tend to have the power to leave these little red stickers, and if I have to make him think his **** doesn't stink, then by god by the time he leaves my inspection I will have him convinced he shits solid chunks of perfume.
                          All you do by kissing up to an inspector who is wrong is make him think he is right. In my opinion, the right thing to do is correct him and teach him a little Code so he doesn't nail the next guy based on his lack of knowledge.

Mark

Comment

I totally see his, and your point Mark. Bad inspectors are bad.

I could care less what a inspector knows. Or what he gigs another plumber for. I pass probably 99% of my inspections. And apparently Master has a higher % than me. And if he failing less than 1 a year, what's the big deal?

I personally think the clearance to B vent from sheetrock is BS. but I am not going to go on a holy personal crusade to prove just how ridiculous it is. Maybe we are busier. Who knows. but that is ALOT of stressing for that.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                              I totally see his, and your point Mark. Bad inspectors are bad.

I could care less what a inspector knows. Or what he gigs another plumber for. I pass probably 99% of my inspections. And apparently Master has a higher % than me. And if he failing less than 1 a year, what's the big deal?

I personally think the clearance to B vent from sheetrock is BS. but I am not going to go on a holy personal crusade to prove just how ridiculous it is. Maybe we are busier. Who knows. but that is ALOT of stressing for that.
                              I can probably count the number of jobs I was dinged on on one hand but I've helped lots of others who have had a problem.

The deal with a B-vent and drywall is the Building Code says drywall is non combustible unless it's related to heat creating sources. The concern is the heat will pull all of the moisture molecules out of the drywall. I'm not sure if that is still in the Code or not but I still do it.

Mark

Comment

I thought the concern was the paper backing on the sheetrock was, just flammable enough to classify it to be combustible?
                                That is what I was told anyways, which if that is the case pisses me off to no end since I have torched several pieces of sheetrock only to burn the paper, but the flame didn't carry at all. Plus, if the b vent is getting that dam hot, you have bigger problems. I could cut some b vent in half, lay it on sheetrock and build a fire in the b vent, and it still wouldn't catch. I could put my torch on the b vent, burn a hole through the metal, and burn the paper on the sheetrock and it still, wouldn't catch.

And, what water molecules are in sheetrock? Isn't the point of that stuff, to be dry?

I think it's a BS code. But it's not worth the time or effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X