X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspector does not know his code

I failed an inspection today and had to re-do work because the inspector said it failed and he would not pass it until what he wanted was installed. I told him many times that he was wrong and asked him for the code reference and he could not give it to me. I told him that if he would not pass what I have installed and fails the job that I would file a lawsuit against the city for them to pay my bill for doing the job twice because I have met the code. Now the customer has an open ditch at the edge of his property that could not be filled today because he must come back and inspect before its covered.

I did not dig the hole so I am not responsible for the hole being open. I did the job and it met the code but the inspector failed it anyway.

So I looked the code up tonight and I am correct about the issue. I'm going to the inspection office tomorrow to present the inspector with a copy of the code and an invoice made out to the city for the work being done because the inspector refused to look at the code. 400.00 is what I'll be asking for. I dont care of it takes me 5,000.00 to get it. The inspector should be fired for harrassment because thats what he does........

Re: Inspector does not know his code

Looking for a debate? You? No, not you?

Seriously, I hope you win and turn the screws on them. Call the media and the Department of Insurance.

J.C.

Comment

Its about the cleanout at the junction of the building sewer and the area water and sewer providers lateral line connection. I installed a wye&1/8 bend at the junction for the cleanout. The inspecter said a two way cleanout is required. I argued that its not required. I asked why would that be required anyway???? The house has a two way cleanout 40' away in the front of the house. His response was...."we all got together with the water service provider and thats what we all want" I responded I dont care what you or the water provider wants........its whats in the code thats required. He said its in the code...well its not in the code. The code says a cleanout must be installed......does not specify a two way. I asked again whats the reason they gave as to why they want a two way...because the yard line is my job and they are not suppose to be cleaning sewers on private property......thats why I have a business license. I'm not required to install a fitting to help them un-clogg sewers...F them Mofos.

Comment

Sorry for your troubles.

I know that around me, most towns follow State of IL code and many/most have amendments to the code to allow or disallow specific things (ie: North Riverside, IL requires CI underground inside the house). These amendments have to be filed annually with the State in order to be legally enforceable.

It gets so confusing as to what each town allows that I call the plumbing inspector for the particular town that I am working in before beginning work to verify what he wants to see. If the inspector is tech savvy enough to communicate via email, I will do that so that I have documentation of the communication, just in case.

And then there are some inspectors that are just a little, shall we say, fussy, and are going to give me a hard time no matter what.

Comment

Here is what my code says.

708.3.5.1 Building sewer and property service lateral connection. There shall be a clean out located at sewer conjunction of service lateral and building sewer outside of right of way.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            Its about the cleanout at the junction of the building sewer and the area water and sewer providers lateral line connection. I installed a wye&1/8 bend at the junction for the cleanout. The inspecter said a two way cleanout is required. I argued that its not required. I asked why would that be required anyway???? The house has a two way cleanout 40' away in the front of the house. His response was...."we all got together with the water service provider and thats what we all want" I responded I dont care what you or the water provider wants........its whats in the code thats required. He said its in the code...well its not in the code. The code says a cleanout must be installed......does not specify a two way. I asked again whats the reason they gave as to why they want a two way...because the yard line is my job and they are not suppose to be cleaning sewers on private property......thats why I have a business license. I'm not required to install a fitting to help them un-clogg sewers...F them Mofos.
            I'll tell you this. As it is interpreted and accepted by the state. Any municipality here can supersede the code over the minimum provided by the state. So if the state wants one cleanout, but a certain area wants two, we have to put them in. Remember this though, the area must have a written policy of this. They must have the specific requirement in writing at the time of requirement.

I don't know if you have the same rules or not. But if they could not provide it in writing, then they have no foundation for code interpretation.

J.C.

Comment

Pics in a few minutes of what failed and what he wanted. I installed the two way.........I'm billing the city for the time it took to do it the way the inspector would pass it.....ignoring the code and what I was telling him.

Comment

Most inspectors are failed contractors. They couldn't make it in the trade so they become an inspector and break balls

Comment

The first pic failed........the last two pics are what will pass. Thing is the code doesn't say i hafta use a two way.......and the reson given for the two way is for utility wokers to clean sewers because they cant go on private property to utilize the upstream cleanout. Thing is they are not suppose to clean sewers on the property...NO MATTER WHAT.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I just talked to a customer who is also a lawyer. His tankless water heater is throwing a code 12. Its a G.E. Installed last year before he bought the place. Anyway I explained to him what the inspector did and he said I can just file a claim with the city and put all the information in a packet and send it in to the city. he said if I make the packet of all the details he would mail it off from his office to the proper place for free. I'm a better guy than that,I'ma split the money with him 50/50. He said they pay money out all the freakin time for one thing or another. See how our tax dollars are spent.

This inspector hung up on me.......he couldn't tell me the article number of the code. They are going to pay the bill. I think they record all their phone calls so their is a record of out conversation. Hopefully they are all recorded.
                    Last edited by TheMaster; 09-22-2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Many states follow the wire tapping laws of the Feds. (Been awhile since I studied this some) The party must be informed they are being recorded for it to be admissible in court.

J.C.

Comment

So this is really that big of a deal?

It's really worth $400 for you to use the fitting he asked for?

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post

I had to drive back across town and re do the whole job. It wasted 3 hrs of my day because an inspector doesn't know his code......and doesn't bother to look it up....even when a guy is telling him i'm gonna sue the city if its not in the code like you claim it is. he couldn't tell me where in the code is was.........well I find the article and it says nothing about a two way. The guys a prick from the jump and always has been and I'm tired of dealing with him. I'm going on record and claiming harrassment because thats what it is. Thats my legal right as a taxpayer.

Comment

There are some towns that use a rent-a-inspector, I forget the name of the company right off hand. Anyways the rent-a-inspector always finds something, or makes up something to fail you so they can get a reinspection fee. The Illinois state code does not specify type of clean out, but most villages, will require a tee put in the line can be rodded both directions, unless we are putting in an outside clean out right at the foundation on an overhead sewer then they will allow a wye. I always put in a tee for a clean out, never bothered spending the extra dough on a two clean out tee, just use a san tee on its back. The rod will go which ever way I want it to go.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't waste my time, 20 bucks in fittings maybe, so what. Move on and forget about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X