X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless water heater supplies

Ive always use brass flex connectors on water heaters after reading good things on here and elsewhere Ive been experimenting with the stainless connectors. I love the price and how they are more flexible, however I just installed two on a heater and they whistled when running the water. Like a really loud obvious whistle sound. When I would grab it and put pressure on my flex it would quiet until i let go of it. After playing with it and being unable to get it to quit I went ahead and put a couple of brass one on it. Any thoughts?

Re: stainless water heater supplies

Copper and they'll call you. Wrench connections and the percentage drops dramatically.

J.C.

Comment

I totally agree JC. I see guys using them and gas flex connectors. Not a professional looking job. Can't justify using them hooking the heater up in 15 min and charging $300 - $400 for labor

Comment

Hard pipe all the way for me. Required by code. Using flexies makes it look so easy a caveman could do it.

The only time I use flexies is on toilets on sinks in residential. Commercial I use copper supply tubes

Comment

out here if you hard pipe it, it will break loose during a decent quake. even when properly strapped.

the corrugated stainless flexes are the best. stay far far away from the 3/4'' braided water flexes for heaters. unless you want to replace them every few year when they leak or burst at the crimp.

i know exactly the sound you're referring about as i've installed hundreds. the flex will sing when running full bore and air is still in the line. sort of like a blowing on a coke bottle. once the heater is filled and the air is bled and the flow rate drops off, you'll be fine. never had 1 complaint after the job was finished.

i carry cases of the 18'' and 24'' ones. would like to find the 12'' ones too.

as far as a gas flex goes. that's the norm here. installing steel pipe to an aluminum gas valve at the base of a 500# heater that will move in a quake is asking for a serious gas leak / broken valve.

when things shake, you want flex.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i carry cases of the 18'' and 24'' ones. would like to find the 12'' ones too.

rick.
            Rick here are 12" Stainless steel flex connectors - Best selection on the Internet from PlumbingSupply.com

Comment

Rick I totally understand using flex out west with the earthquakes it makes sence. On the east cost it look like a hack did it.

Comment

I hard pipe new installs, and flex repairs, which I prefer stainless for.

Comment

I use flex supplies always , if the reason you don't is cause your worried they won't call you back when it fails I can understand that. But personally I think my job is to find the safest most affortable way to get the job done right. So am I gona Dick around soldering and making that hot water tank look like a god send... New installation for sure bit replacements in the dungeons people call there basements here not a chance do it quick het it done and get out of there ... Anyways just my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                  X