Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Double riser 2 way cleanout- City of Toronto

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
    They don't require 2 way clean outs here. So I have never had to install one. But I have one question. When the sewer is backed up & full, both clean outs will be full to top, how are you suppose to know which clean out goes which way? In both illustrations you would use the opposite clean out. And when the sewer is full, alot of times its hard to tell which way your going with cable. Now I agree with Ratz totally, but after the pipe is buried, unless your the one that installed it, it could be confusing to have to run the cable through upstream clean out, to go downstream, & vice versa. No? I know its not a big deal, just wanted to get your thoughts on this.
    If the stoppage was upstream you would not see it at either cleanout. The cleanout facing upstream is there for those stoppages that do not show in the riser.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It is very rare to see someone install two wyes for a clean out around here. 99% of the clean outs installed are Sanitary tees. One of the first things my father taught me was to know which way your rod is going in a clean out that is full. Its mostly done by feel and how the cable is laying in the riser pipe. So when it comes to the double wye set up I will know the instant my cable makes the turn which direction it is going. In a sanitary tee, it takes me about a minute to be 100% sure which direction the rod went. Now some may ask how do you get your rod to go the right direction, that is just a learned skill and once you learn it 99% of the time you will get the rod to go the right way the first try.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Picture #2 is the only correct way in my area. Out here the cleanout closest to the building runs to the tap, the second cleanout runs to the building.

Comment

i've used san tees too as it will go downstream in the blind with the line full of waste.

going back upstream is also pretty easy as the only reason to run upstream is when the line is dry and you can see the bottom of the tee.

now the real trick is getting a cable reversed in a comby. with my 7/8'' reverse auger it's pretty simple. i can easily get my jetter hose and my micro drain and micro reel backward through a comby.

but i am a firm believer that a san tee is the great fitting to use as it still pretty much automatically will go downstream and when needed easily go reverse/ upstream.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
          X