X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double riser 2 way cleanout- City of Toronto

This is what the City of Toronto told me I had to install when I replaced my broken clay sewer line. I don't know if it was in the code book or not, I just followed what they said. My 4" PVC is connected to 6" clay on the city side.

Who closed out Master's thread? Why?...I was going to add my photo there but it was closed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3f997d0479ea19ff4fe2c83550223999.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	15486

Re: Double riser 2 way cleanout- City of Toronto

I would not of installed them wyes the way you did. There is a part of the sewer betweenthe wyes that could form a blockage that the clean outs are useless. Here is a picture of the way it should of been installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9dd272d92aba0cfb981686ca0c31570f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	15487
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

You're right! The City guy drew the install for me, and I followed what he drew...LOL. Your way is better SewerRatz

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
        The thread was closed becaused a certain member of the forum has a tendency to interject himself into peoples business by emailing inspectors and forwarding threads here on the forum in an attempt to cause me trouble.

Post somthing he doesn't agree with and he is so bored he has nothing else to do but try and make you suffer for your opinion. The type of guy that ends up being an inspector whos bitter and a social failure. Like the inspector I'm dealing with.

Thats whats up,just so you understand why the thread was closed.
        Ha. I didn't go that far.

But back on topic, after clicking on the picture, some inspectors would fail you for that, the pipe between the wyes, is not serviced by the cleanouts, as Ratz already said. That would work though, if there was a backwater valve between the fittings.

Comment

Uh oh..... maybe I shouldn't have started this thread. I didn't know there was more to this...I naively stepped in...sorry guys.....

Comment

I have actually heard of a inspector getting beat up over something. Probably along the same lines as what you are dealing with TM.

But aren't they some form of police officer? And wouldn't doing that carry an assaulting an officer charge?

Totally on topic I know! But, if we are going to de rail a thread, by god we are going to DE RAIL A THREAD.

Comment

They don't require 2 way clean outs here. So I have never had to install one. But I have one question. When the sewer is backed up & full, both clean outs will be full to top, how are you suppose to know which clean out goes which way? In both illustrations you would use the opposite clean out. And when the sewer is full, alot of times its hard to tell which way your going with cable. Now I agree with Ratz totally, but after the pipe is buried, unless your the one that installed it, it could be confusing to have to run the cable through upstream clean out, to go downstream, & vice versa. No? I know its not a big deal, just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

Comment

Ah HUH! That's maybe why the city guy told me to do it that way! In my photo the house is on the left and the road on the right....

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                  They don't require 2 way clean outs here. So I have never had to install one. But I have one question. When the sewer is backed up & full, both clean outs will be full to top, how are you suppose to know which clean out goes which way? In both illustrations you would use the opposite clean out. And when the sewer is full, alot of times its hard to tell which way your going with cable. Now I agree with Ratz totally, but after the pipe is buried, unless your the one that installed it, it could be confusing to have to run the cable through upstream clean out, to go downstream, & vice versa. No? I know its not a big deal, just wanted to get your thoughts on this.
                  After running sewers for a few years, you will get paranoid. Or at least I am. UnlessI know for a fact the cleanouts are installed correctly ( unlike the one pictured no offense) then I run 2 sticks in and have my helper go inside and listen. Cable also feels a little different going upstream to me. Slightly harder and likes to crawdead back out the pipe. You could also stick a pipe down, like 1 inch pvc, and feel which way the cleanout is turned. Some guys are probably good enough to do it with cable, but I am not.

Another good clue is when you hit a stoppage going through a backwards cleanout, and finally get through the stoppage, usually the broken toilet inside the bathroom will let you know you went the wrong way! And sometimes you will actually clean all the way up the vent, and across the roof to where you are standing. then you just tell the homeowner you wanted to make sure the vent was clear too and ran a little too much cable!

Comment

There are 2 different setups (2 photos)....which photo is correct/incorrect in your opinon Stolen?

Comment

I only see 1 photo.

When you are setting up double cleanouts, you want to face them towards each other, so when you run the cable down one cleanout, it actually cleans towards the other cleanout, not away. While putting it in wrong or right, it will basically serve the same purpose, if you put the cleanouts in pointing away from each other, you can not clean the pipe between the cleanouts. And that is bad! The only time you want to face double cleanouts away from each other is if there is a backwater valve between them. then you HAVE to. Or your cable will get all screwed up when you go to clean the sewer as it will get hung up in the backwater valve. Plus the backwater valve will serve as a cleanout if you happen to get a stoppage between your BWV and the cleanouts.

As for the inspector telling you to do it that way, kind of odd, but you should probably give him a call and talk about it. So he knows too. Because double cleanouts facing away from each other is just wrong. And will cause a regular plumber thinking oh wow hey! Double cleanouts! To end up running his cable into a toilet or something

Comment

I believe the chances of that sewer pipe, in first photo, getting clogged up in between the 2 wyes, is the same chance I have of winning the lottery, ten million to one. So I vote for the first pictured clean outs, just simply cuz the downsteam c.o. is for downstream, & upstream c.o. is for cleaning upstream. (idiot proof I guess). And if that little section of pipe does get clogged, just call Rick.Lol But Sewer Ratz is right on, with his point.

Comment

tyler pipe makes a texas twin no hub double riser that does cross and is slightly longer than a standard no hub comby. a great fitting for when you need a double cleanout and the install length is very short.

problem is they run about $60.00.

a tile probe is a good way to tell what way the risers are pointed. on a single riser 2 way c/o it can also be used to feel for your cable. also a sprinkler key works great to feel and guide a cable.

of course when the pipe is dry, it's easy to leek into the sweep.

i've tried to paint the cleanout caps red if it's a 2 way with single riser ot a reverse c/o. green i use for downstream cleanout caps.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I use a boat bildge pump on cleanouts with liquid in them. Saved Me a month ago,almost ran into bathroom instead of street on a kelly fitting
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Your two way clean outs are an interesting concept I had never seen them till I came to this form as I had been taught to use a 90 degree tee with a riser to ground level and pot luck when putting the cable down to clear a blockage but after putting down one or two cables you can feel which way they are going as the cable moves easier as the cable goes down stream as the fall in the pipe helps and harder to push upstream.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X