X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper effects

Since we are protecting the health of the nation, I was wondering how those of you who use strictly copper for potable water feel about it with the release of studies suggesting a direct correlation between copper water piping and alzheimers and heart disease. We have discussed the pros and cons of different type of piping but I don't recall there being any discussion on possible detriments to health
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Re: Copper effects

I have never read any link between copper and health issues (aluminum & lead yes, copper never). Please post a link, I'd like to learn/know more.

Comment

good topic. yes, point us to something to read about this. i've not heard of this before but would like to lern more.

here's a google search to get us started.

copper water piping and alzheimers and heart disease - Google Search

on the other hand

30 years from now, the then current members of this forum will be discussing the health effects of PEX, based on some study that says it causes cancer in lab rats.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 09-25-2011, 05:53 AM.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I would say that it is such a limited study with no background that it probably not true. After almost two years there still is nothing more than mention of a study on the Internet. One has to wonder if this in fact may be someone looking for a grant to conduct a study? Perhaps even from the the filter industry or the PEX industry. Copper has an MCL so if it were truly a problem it seems there would be more that a single paper written two years ago to back it up.

Please provide a link to the paper as it is so obscure I cannot even find, short of an expensive membership to purchasing it.

Mark
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-25-2011, 10:15 AM. Reason: found it
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i would be more concerned with us plumbers that have handled the raw copper and lead based solder, flux over the years . no gloves, just dirty hands

i think i've got more lead in the brain than in the pencil

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Agree with Mark and Rick. I think those that have handled copper for years have a much greater risk than the average HO with copper piping in their homes.

Copper has a long history of use in homes but that does not mean it is the safest. It was not until the past 20 or so years that meaningful research or testing could be performed, mostly because the equipment to perform the analysis was not available 30 or 40 years ago.

I think about all the copper dust I breathed in when running copper and its scary. What if it turns out to be like mesothelioma and only limited exposure is all it takes to have a negative affect on you?

I know someone to ask and I will email them to see what research might be in progress now or recently completed.

When I hear back I will post here what I learn.

In the mean time those of you in the trade might find this informative.
            http://www.cpwr.com/pdfs/Toxic%20Hand%20Off-final.pdf
            Last edited by Bob D.; 09-25-2011, 11:00 AM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

The author's recommendations are to:

Avoid almost all multivitamin/multi-mineral pills because they contain copper and/or iron.

Avoid eating all kinds of meats because they are plentiful in both minerals. Copper and iron are much more bio-available from meat than from vegetable foods. Liver and shellfish are particularly high in copper. Red meat is particularly high in bio-available iron.

Avoid drinking water with elevated copper content. Eighty percent of the homes in the US have copper pipes for water. Check levels in your water. A reverse osmosis device can be installed on the tap used for drinking and cooking water.

Comment

He also talks about those over 50 avoiding or reducing their copper intake as
                the body does not process it as readily or need as much copper after age 50.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

If I had a history of Alzheimer's Disease in my family, I would be more concerned with the anode rod on my water heater than the copper tube under my house. Control of cholesterol and triglyceride levels, exercise, healthy weight and lots of fruit and vegetablesall have a well documented correlation to hearth disease and it's prevention. The national lung and heath institute's website (What Are Coronary Heart Disease Risk Factors?) doesn't even mention copper exposure as a risk factor for heart disease.
                  As for multivitamins, males over 15 and females past menstruation (unless they give blood frequently) generally get enough iron in their diet and should not partake of an iron supplement. Excess iron can act as a cancer-promoting agent as well as promote the development of heart disease.

Comment

I have had personal experience with Alzheimers as I'm sure some of you have. I wrote a short paper years ago on it for school. I haven't Googled one thing on it (should) in years or even read any links on it here. With that said, this is what I recall:

First discovered by Dr. Alois Alzheimer.
                    At the time I researched it, there was NO TEST that could be done to confirm Alzheimers. They couldn't draw blood and look at A, B, C, and say "You've tested positive for Alzheimers..."
                    The only physical thing that could lead a conclusion to Alzheimers was an autopsy on the brain at death. Upon doing so, Neuritic Plaques are discovered on the brain. These plaques were further tested to contain high traces of Aluminum. At the time, they had ZERO IDEA what contributed to the Aluminum concentration.

Again, I haven't Googled one thing on this and am going just on memory. So some things could have changed. And I did not read one link noted here. But I'm going to make an uninformed conclusion that copper piping contributing is VooDoo.

The problem with the conclusion that Copper contributes is the same problem they have had with determining the Aluminum concentration. In a high percentage of these cases you have TWO people living together for years eating the same foods, drinking the same drink, using the same water. One develops signs of Alzheimers, the other does not.

That makes any conclusion towards environmental factors inconclusive at this time.

The search continues. I pray for a solution as it is one of the worst things you will ever witness happen to a loved one.

J.C.

Comment

This is the first time I have heard anything about it. Of course we all know that everything causes cancer. The effects of PEX will probably be much worse. The copper is obviously absorbed by the water, creating pin-hole leaks. Probably 99 percent of the water we use is not consumed, and is used for toilets, bathing, irrigation. A couple of links for those that are interested:
                      Copper pipes could cause heart disease and Alzheimer's - Telegraph

Prevent Disease.com - Copper May Play a Role in Alzheimer's
                      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

What kind of ill effects will not drinking water anymore have on your body?

In all honesty, anything in a high enough dose is bad for you; air, water, beer, playboy, you name it, excess of just about anything will kill you. Today's wonder cure is tomorrows WTF were they thinking.
                        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                          This is the first time I have heard anything about it. Of course we all know that everything causes cancer. The effects of PEX will probably be much worse. The copper is obviously absorbed by the water, creating pin-hole leaks. Probably 99 percent of the water we use is not consumed, and is used for toilets, bathing, irrigation. A couple of links for those that are interested:
                          Copper pipes could cause heart disease and Alzheimer's - Telegraph

Prevent Disease.com - Copper May Play a Role in Alzheimer's
                          Sorry but I'm even less impressed now. It is a theoretical study using rabbits as a model. The copper is only one of many things the rabbits were exposed to. Again it sounds like someone looking for a grant.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                            What kind of ill effects will not drinking water anymore have on your body?

In all honesty, anything in a high enough dose is bad for you; air, water, beer, playboy, you name it, excess of just about anything will kill you. Today's wonder cure is tomorrows WTF were they thinking.
                            glad you didn't name root beer and milk shakes

how about a k-60 shake

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              glad you didn't name root beer and milk shakes

how about a k-60 shake

rick.
                              I did not name root beer or milkshakes but I did say that if you named it, it is bad for you. SOOOOOO, milk shakes and root beer are now bad for you as well!

Something that caught my eye Friday afternoon, a Prop 65 warning by the door of a bank...

Now money is bad for your health as well!
                              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                              X