Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City sewer worker in NYC makes a nice living.

The cost of living must be murder these days in NYC for a sewer worker to have a base pay of $109K. Plus he made another $173K in overtime. When's the guy sleep? (I'm wondering if it's on the job) LOL.

New York City Sewer Worker Makes $772,000 -- In One Year - Careers Articles
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: City sewer worker in NYC makes a nice living.

Still not enough money to get me to live there!!! haha

Comment

Some animals are more equal than others !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

That sounds like a lot of money at first glance, but considering it is in New York City, that base pay of $109K probably doesn't go all that far. If I had to pay for college tuition and a mortgage, I would work as much overtime as possible also.

Doing some quick math, his base pay is probably $52 an hour x 40 hours a week x 52 weeks a year, which comes to $108K

Since he is union, overtime is usually time and a half for the first 20 hours. Assume 20 hours a week all year long at $78 dollars an hour, and you have an extra $81K

60 hours and up is usually double time, which would be $104 an hour. If he worked 10 hours at double time each week, that would add up to $54K

Then when you figure he is likely getting on call pay to be available, plus holidays could be at triple time, it doesn't seem that hard to me to get that extra $173K in overtime.

If the guy did it all honestly, good for him for being able to provide for his family.

Comment

It's OK that he makes that kind of money because his collar is blue............now if he wore a white collar then of course it would be shameful.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
            That sounds like a lot of money at first glance, but considering it is in New York City, that base pay of $109K probably doesn't go all that far. If I had to pay for college tuition and a mortgage, I would work as much overtime as possible also.

Doing some quick math, his base pay is probably $52 an hour x 40 hours a week x 52 weeks a year, which comes to $108K

Since he is union, overtime is usually time and a half for the first 20 hours. Assume 20 hours a week all year long at $78 dollars an hour, and you have an extra $81K

60 hours and up is usually double time, which would be $104 an hour. If he worked 10 hours at double time each week, that would add up to $54K

Then when you figure he is likely getting on call pay to be available, plus holidays could be at triple time, it doesn't seem that hard to me to get that extra $173K in overtime.

If the guy did it all honestly, good for him for being able to provide for his family.
            If he worked consistently 70 hours a week consistently, I guess it adds up. Doubt he did that consistently and/or actually produced anything. Playing cards at the office count?

And does a $40,000 a year raise seem right? (Quick average. 40K x 13 years=$520,000 "back pay") Maybe it does. Guess everyone should be expecting an $800.00 week raise every year.

J.C.

Comment

I bet when he calls a plumber he will tell the plumber he is being overcharged, now matter what the plumber is charging. Unless he called the $49.95 guy.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Philly/S. Jersey area is expensive, and New York is easily 3 times what we are.

If I was to charge $1,400.00 for a 50 gallon power vent here, imagine what that would cost in New York City.

Last year around Christmas, I go with my in-laws up to New York city for dinner and 1 round of drinks for 5 people was $115.00, not including tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  Philly/S. Jersey area is expensive, and New York is easily 3 times what we are.

If I was to charge $1,400.00 for a 50 gallon power vent here, imagine what that would cost in New York City.

Last year around Christmas, I go with my in-laws up to New York city for dinner and 1 round of drinks for 5 people was $115.00, not including tip.
                  There is no way I can do a 50 Gallon power vent heater for $1400. We pay nearly that much for the heater. Last one we did ran around $2500 installed.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Same here, My cost on that heater is close to that. If it's a pretty basic change out I'd end up charging 1700-1800 depending on incidentals.

Also, I live in the midwest, My wife and I spent $100 the last time we went out to dinner. 2 entrees, an appetizer, a bottle of wine, and the biscotti/coffee desert. We nailed 100. I could see spending Way more in NYC.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I think he meant 1 round of 5 drinks was $115.00.
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Upon reading that with my eyes open, You are absolutely correct.

Holy ****ing ****, $115 for 5 drinks!

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                        I think he meant 1 round of 5 drinks was $115.00.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Every year my in-laws take us up the New York city around Christmas time for dinner and a show. The amount of money spent for the 5 of us is absolutely stunning. I think our dinner bill was between $600.00 - $700.00.

Comment

I got married a few months ago went through new york city and stayed a couple days everything was very expensive. there was some construction going on across from my hotel room was very interested have never seen anything like it. Was amazed at them being able to get the equipment there much less do any work in that hectic place. My hats off to any of you guys that work in the big cities dont know how you do it.

Comment

Depending on what you buy, even in oklahoma a dinner bill can hit 100 bucks EASILY. If you are buying lobster and ribeye, don't be expecting it off the dollar menu. And 20 bucks a drink is pretty crazy, but I paid ten for a double last night so I could see it.

Fancy dinners and drinks are a bad judge of cost of living though, as it gets outrageous fast the nicer the restaurant. Neither of which is nescessary and if the drinks and dinner are a million each, but a loaf of bread is still 2 bucks, then I would say cost of living is normal.

I don't know anything about Ny, but 100k seems high.

Comment

Working...
                              X