Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Cutaway Van

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
    congrats flux must be nice to finally clean out your old truck if im not mistaken you were using bungy cords to hold the doors shut... or something along those lines if my memory serves that a beauty truck i can only dream one day....hopefully anyways thanks for the pics.. its nice to see how other guys get around.
    2 weeks ago, the back doors on my old van decided it didn't want to latch while I was on a service call. So I had to break out the bungee cords to hold the doors closed, until I could make it home and figured out what was wrong. Here when I popped off the metal plate, the latch needed some WD40 and the bottom latch needed a shim to hold it in place. Never again will I buy a Stahl body.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRat View Post
      I like all the little ratholes all down the sides and in the back, lots of places to stash stuff. Nice rig.
      Since we do Plumbing-Heating- AC and drain cleaning, I need the room for parts and equipment, and believe it or not, I won't be able to fit everything. I have yet to even put this truck together, cause we have more storage bins and shelving to buy.

But I like the fact that I can now stand straight up without having to duck my head while walking the back.(I'm 6-3 and the height is 75"). With my old Stahl body, I could almost stand straight up, but I got the old stiff neck/lower back pain syndrome.

Comment

That is a pretty sweet truck. And for 30k, seems like a HELL of a deal to me. Wonder how I can convince my boss to get one?...
        Just keep posting pics so I can pretend I am working out of it.

The only god thing about a old truck is, who cares if you spill a drink all over the cab that makes the change stick together.

Comment

Beautiful truck Fluxor.
          Absolutely beautiful....Ehh,Utah?

Damn

Comment

Very nice truck. I have a 2004 E350 with a Stahl Body and your new body is quite an upgrade for door hardware.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Very nice truck. I have a 2004 E350 with a Stahl Body and your new body is quite an upgrade for door hardware.

Mark
              Mark, I'm not sure if you have Reading Body out there, but they have the best doors in the industry IMO. I like their latching system, and over-all construction of the door better than anyone else.

Comment

I love the latches on my Auto Crane service body, they are like latching a hatch on a submarine, no click and pray like most bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                  Nice lateral move.Now I see why the grandkids are always so happy around you.
                  Ever thought of being a politician?

"Hey Kids,Lookey Over Here"

Comment

Since I got this truck, I've always wanted to have a vise on the truck but I didn't want something mounted on the outside of the truck. I looked long and hard, and I came up with this solution (below) since I now have a tow hitch on the truck.

This vise has a little anvil on it, plus the wrench can crack open beers...I was sold!!! Plus I can store this vise behind the seat or in any other compartment.

Here's the website with video ---------> Trail D-Vise - a portable vise for use anywhere (Scroll down on page for video)
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is our first time buying a Reading Body and here is the "not so good" about this company so far.

As you can see from my pictures, I have 4 compartments on each side, and besides the compartment on each side of the truck over the wheels, the other compartment require shelves. Well for a $42,000.00 truck, we were only provided 1 shelf per compartment, with a bunch of dividers!!

So we called one of their distributers to find out how to order these shelves, and come to find out, each shelf costs $96.00 and we need 8 of them! (more if I was setting it up differently) That price does NOT include the dividers I need, as they are extra as well, and we are waiting for a price on that. So now I sit here with a brand new truck that can't hit the road until these shelves are ordered and in my possession. I feel as though for $42,000.00 the proper shelving should be "included" in the price, and that's simply not the case. Even though I couldn't stand my Stahl body after awhile, at least they provided all of the shelves needed, when I bought the truck.

The other problem so far is...trying to get ahold of anyone from Reading. I mean christ..their main headquarters is an hour away, and I'm getting close to taking a road trip for a face to face meeting. Their distributers don't like to return phone calls either, and it's a shame because they make one of the best bodies on the market IMO. Stahl seemed to have a problem returning phone calls as well.

Now in 1 compartment I want pull out drawers and I know that would be extra, and I'm fine with that. The price we were quoted for that was $500.00... so basically it's going to take another $1,500 at least to complete this truck shelving wise, and this leaves a sour taste in my mouth. That $1,500.00 doesn't include the extra bins and other storage solutions I want to use in the back of the truck, that is not bought yet either.

I sent a long winded e-mail to Reading stating my displeasure, and I let them know I could not give them a glowing review right now because of this. We were also told from one of the distributers that other guys were complaining about the lack of shelving that wasn't provided in these new bodies. Excellent truck and body...just be warned that Reading doesn't provide all the shelving other companies normally would.

Last edited by Flux; 10-05-2011, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I feel your pain, Flux. Just now, I am in the process of ordering a new cut away box van. Got the quote so far, on just the truck, without the box, cuz I'm getting a custom box. The very end of the quote, says "not including tax & license". Do they not know by now, how fricken much taxes & license costs are? I mean figure brand new plates, & if I transfer the license, then its a bit less, right? Atleast I have a lot better idea of the actual cost. I can't seem to get away with giving an estimate, in my business, without including tax, or any other B.S. fee they can come up with. My next question I will have for the salesman is this, " I need to make out a check before hand, so what amount do I put on the check, so I can have it ready, when I pick up the truck"?
                        Thankfully I have all my shelving, but the box co, is taking the ones I have out of my old truck, & puting them into new one. Have not not received their estimate yet, & its been a week.

Comment

Don, which cutaway van are you getting, and which box is going on the back? In your custom box, are you going with the hackney system, or a box like mine?

Comment

Getting a Ford F450. Gas engine.The box is, basically a square empty box,12ft, w/attic over cab. No bins or shelves. FRP outside & stainlees steel rear frame around box, with SS bolts & hinges on roll up door. Aluminum bumper.Lights positioned inside, to clear my shelving, w/ 3way switch. I also am having a light w/ buzzer (which I have on my current truck), that goes off if the back door is open, & the ignition switch is turned on, or truck started. More of a peace of mind than anything. Undecided on pull out ramp, simply cuz it raises the floor up about 5in. Don't know if I want that or not. I do mostly small jobs, so most of the time I won't need the ramp, & alot of places don't have the room to just leave it pulled out. But when I do need it, it would be very convenient, so its a hard decision.Box is made by Supreme, & its the Signature series. Don't know how to put a link on here, but their web site is www.SUPREMEcorp.com.
                            I also like this truck, cuz it has disc brakes front & rear, & supposedly brakes evenly, & is 14,600 GVW. My current truck has drum brakes in rear, is over loaded, & I constantly gotta replace front brakes, & front end parts. I buy life time warranty pads, but labor is still costly.

Comment

Ford 4 wheel discs stop great, my old F-350 weighed 10,000 before I hooked a trailer to it and stopped on a dime. My new truck weighs 14,500 and with 4 wheel discs it stops as good as my wifes Explorer.

Flux, as far as getting shelvs and dividers, I would call or go to the person you bought the truck from and be a dick, tell them you just spent 42 grand and want to be kept happy.
                              Last edited by TozziWelding; 10-05-2011, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                                Flux, as far as getting shelvs and dividers, I would call or go to the person you bought the truck from and be a dick, tell them you just spent 42 grand and want to be kept happy.
                                I already did that, and Reading wants a return call from me tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X