New Cutaway Van

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Cutaway Van

Good, keeps the wheels moving, be a thorn in there side in the name of customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
      Good, keeps the wheels moving, be a thorn in there side in the name of customer service.
      Me and dad were talking today, and we said "Why doesn't Reading just add the cost of the shelves into the box price when they sell it to Ford". (or however that works). Why in the world would you sell a truck that only has 1 freaking shelf per compartment? I don't like the games Reading is playing here, and I'm very disappointed right now.

Btw..the dividers for these shelves is $9.00 a divider, and I need 30 of them. I just might make them myself, as I have a bender in the shop, but I'm going to wait and see what Reading says on the phone tomorrow.

If my numbers are correct, it's close to another $2,000.00 for shelving/dividers that should of been on this truck when we bought it. That price doesn't include the other stuff I wanted to buy for this truck, and that price could easily be another $1000.00 - $1,500.00. Plus the lettering that has to go back on will range between $800.00 - $1000.00.

Comment

So this morning I had my dad call the guy from Reading back, cause he's a much better diplomat than I am, cause I have a tendency to get all fired up when I feel I'm being taking advantage of.

My dad explained our position as a buyer of their product, and explained that when we bought their competitors body the last time, they included the necessary shelving from the start. The Reading Rep didn't offer any justification as to "why" they ship their bodies to dealers without the proper shelving, and basically said "we will have to have a meeting on this issue". No talk of Reading getting back to us. So that's it...that's the response we got from Reading body.

I took their stance as "f/u this is our policy...like it or leave it". (I'm speculating)

Like I said before, Reading makes a wonderful product, and I won't take that away from them. I absolutely love the truck and the body they made. I just have a sour taste in my mouth over the lack of shelving that I feel should be provided with their bodies. I can't in good faith recommend their product's to anyone from this day forward, and they will never again sell me another truck body until they fix this issue. I'm not going to play guessing games on shelving and the prices for those shelves...Reading will never take another shot at us again.

But with that said, I have a 10 year limited warranty on this body, and you can bet your a$$ that it will be my turn to be the pain in the a$$ if there is ANY issue with this body.
        Last edited by Flux; 10-06-2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

If they screw you on the shelfs, go to the local Voc Tech metal shop and ask about having them made. Usually they will be happy to do the project and it will only cost you the material.

Comment

flux since the body was already installed at the time of your truck purchase, you got basically what they paid for.

when i had a custom truck built in 2000, i met with the body builder and had all the details in writing. everything from the wall, and roof thickness, to the tow hitch and wiring. to the hinges and deadbolt. everything came with a line item price.

there were a couple under mount boxes i had them fabricate during the build and that was an extra. they could have taken advantage of me since it was an extra, but they worked with me and priced them just like it would have been if i ordered them at the time of my contract.

remember that the dealer specs out what they are willing to pay. if they get too carried away, the cost of the body/ truck gets too great.

honestly your frustration should be with the dealer who sold you the truck. not the vendor that built it to what the dealer paid for.

my truck took literally 4 months to build. and it was delivered on april 15th. meaning every year right at tax time, my yearly insurance and auto registration was due along with my taxes. talk about an expensive day

think about it and put yourself in the body builders position.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

When we use to go to George Skaug for our bodies, 6-months was a lightning fast turn around.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                honestly your frustration should be with the dealer who sold you the truck. not the vendor that built it to what the dealer paid for.
                I hear what you're saying Rick, but I've talked to a few other guys who have Reading bodies (a few years old) and they had the same problem. Plus, Stahl outfits their trucks with all the shelving needed, and their price is no different than Reading. I'm not sure what Knapheide does because I never bought one before.

$42,000.00 truck and Reading can't put the shelves that belong in there? I say bullcrap! If their competitor can do it....so can they.

Comment

No offense, but next time you have the shelves thrown in BEFORE you pay for the van. Once you pay for it, you own it. Extras/accessories are where everybody makes their money.
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

flux, out of that 42,000. the body builder probably had a contract between 6- 8k.

the dealer puts the screws to them.

the dealer is who you should put the screws to get the shelves for their cost.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

My knapheide 12ft body has 10 boxes total came with two shelfs in the front 6 and one shelf in the others. Extra shelfs cost about the same as you listed.
                      Last edited by jrs5565; 10-08-2011, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                        No offense, but next time you have the shelves thrown in BEFORE you pay for the van. Once you pay for it, you own it. Extras/accessories are where everybody makes their money.
                        You're right, it's our fault for not paying attention to the shelving when we bought the truck. Even though the shelves were not in it's proper spot, we assumed they had more to put on when we initially looked at the truck.

But again, why should Reading play the game, when their toughest competitor doesn't? Stahl doesn't seem to have a problem making money installing the required shelves from the start...but Reading does? Stahl doesn't play deceptive guessing games.
                        The required shelving shouldn't be an extra, but anything beyond that should be. We have bought Cutaway vans for a long time, and this is the first time, and first company we had to deal with on this issue.

Comment

With Knapheide's headquarters in Quicy, IL and Supreme having a plant in Indiana I would say that 95% of the cutaway vans around me are 1 or the other of those manufacturers. Every truck that I have looked at has had at least 2 shelves per compartment.

I'm going to hold out for a while. There are still a LOT of 2011 trucks on the lots around here, even a couple 2010's.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                            With Knapheide's headquarters in Quicy, IL and Supreme having a plant in Indiana I would say that 95% of the cutaway vans around me are 1 or the other of those manufacturers. Every truck that I have looked at has had at least 2 shelves per compartment.

I'm going to hold out for a while. There are still a LOT of 2011 trucks on the lots around here, even a couple 2010's.
                            GMC is currently the manufacture that has Supreme bodies on the lot's around here, and the one's I looked at had 3 shelves per compartment. I almost went with a Supreme body, but I was scared of the fiberglass.

Comment

Nobody has Reading around here. I'd have to drive several hours just to see one or else order one custom.

I'm starting to really like the Supreme bodies. Most Chevy and GMC dealers have them and I prefer GM, so that's the route I'll likely go. Also, Their tall version is 6' inside height. I'm a little vertically challenged at 5'-8" so 6' tall inside the box is fine for me.

I like the KUV bodies that Knapheide makes, but I've seen a lot of rust on many of them around here. Plus they're really heavy.

I have an aluminum body now, but it leaks. I'm not too worried about the fiberglass. I know a few guys that have the Supreme fiberglass bodies and park them outside in the winter and they have not had any issues with them.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                                Nobody has Reading around here. I'd have to drive several hours just to see one or else order one custom.

I'm starting to really like the Supreme bodies. Most Chevy and GMC dealers have them and I prefer GM, so that's the route I'll likely go. Also, Their tall version is 6' inside height. I'm a little vertically challenged at 5'-8" so 6' tall inside the box is fine for me.

I like the KUV bodies that Knapheide makes, but I've seen a lot of rust on many of them around here. Plus they're really heavy.

I have an aluminum body now, but it leaks. I'm not too worried about the fiberglass. I know a few guys that have the Supreme fiberglass bodies and park them outside in the winter and they have not had any issues with them.

-Chris
                                Knapheide would be the one that is scarce for us, as they are a rarity around here. I wouldn't even know where to go to find one of their bodies around here, but I do see a few on the road, so someone is buying them.

My dad wanted a GMC this time around, but they were not even in the ball park price wise. We always find that they are tough to deal with, and the sticker price is the starting point, as there is no discount right off the top. We have a GMC dealership by us that is loaded with Supreme bodies, but they are not moving out of the lot. Ford didn't even blink an eye, and discounted the vehicle $5,000.00 right off the top, by just walking in the door.

With Reading body made an hour from me, and Stahl being right next door in Ohio, they are in a 3 way tie with Supreme in my area.

It's probably split between Plumbers in my area having Supreme,stahl, and Reading. I asked quite a few what their feelings were on the supreme bodies, and cracking and repair was the #1 complaint from them. One Plumber we talk too had a major compartment door problems, with them not closing correctly. Talk too an auto body guy about the Supreme body and his opinion was "don't get one". Now granted I don't know how hard these guys are on their trucks, cause I have a negative opinion about stahl and steel bodies in general, cause of the winter's we get. My Stahl started to show rust within 3 years of having the truck, and trying to get it repaired under warranty was a chore back then.

Comment

Working...
                                X