X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can a homeowner do?

As for plumbing, their own house. Is there anything they can NOT do? Such as can they put in their own water heater, plumb in a addon, relay their sewer? Do they have limits? Can they go from the meter to the house with new pipe? Can they put a saddle on the main for their sewer?

I can not find anything anywhere on this. And no one I know seems to know. I am under the 09 ipc. Thanks in advance, and yes, I am staring at my 09 book now. it's only 4 hours old.

and on a side note, wtf, I can't seem to find any ADA requirements in it? Although I have just scanned and looked in the table of contents and definitions. Furthermore, please don't flame me for this, because I STRUGGLE to read the code book, it confuses the hell out of me and I fail at it, but where is it that says you have to be a licensed plumber, working under a contractor to install plumbing? I am searching now and will edit this part out if I find it, but so far have been looking for a hour.

Thanks in advance!

Re: What can a homeowner do?

I will give you the interpretation for here under IPC.

A homeowner can do anything they want in relation to their own home provided they follow the code and permit properly. Doing work for any other property other than their home could fall under contracting. Even a commercial business they may own elsewhere. Not sure why. Probably due to an insurance clause.

The ADA used to cross reference some in relation to fixture placement. Now, get a separate ADA book.

May not help, but best I've got this evening. Now where's my Code book????

J.C.

Comment

Well I don't know about He'll but in Florida I had a customer that Lied so many times to to Code enforcement that they made them hire a GC and subs to complete a remodel ...

Comment

JC, by "interpret", does that mean you understand the code soo good that you know this to be the law, but it actually doesn't say anything about it specifically, but says it in many many many definitions and by a greater understanding you know this to be fact?

Oh and thanks for the ADA, my last code book I owned was the 03 I think, and this new one is entirely different. I flipped to the very back, and seen page 76, but the index in the fron called for something on page 97. that's when I saw it is actually like 2 codebooks in one. And thanks for that, because the original was not confusing enough...

Comment

By the way, where in the hell is He'll anyway? Someone could better answer your question if they knew the area you are talking about. Doesn't matter what code book you're using. A lot of States have have adopted their own or additional code, such as Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
            By the way, where in the hell is He'll anyway? Someone could better answer your question if they knew the area you are talking about. Doesn't matter what code book you're using. A lot of States have have adopted their own or additional code, such as Minnesota.
            Oklahoma, duh.
            I seen a campfire complaining about the heat this summer.

Comment

Here, on my own property, I can be my own GC, and any sub I want to be. Hence, Owner/Builder, residential or commercial.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                Here, on my own property, I can be my own GC, and any sub I want to be. Hence, Owner/Builder, residential or commercial.
                So a homeowner can do anything to their house, in your area I mentioned? Such as putting a saddle on the main, hooking up a new water service to the meter, run a gas line from the meter to their house and plumb gas in their whole house in black, or CSST and everything else associated with plumbing?

Comment

Depends on what state you're talking about. Oklahoma? LOL for some reason I don't think so. You need to be more specific, Some States on the East Coast DO NOT allow homeowners to touch any plumbing.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                    JC, by "interpret", does that mean you understand the code soo good that you know this to be the law, but it actually doesn't say anything about it specifically, but says it in many many many definitions and by a greater understanding you know this to be fact?

Oh and thanks for the ADA, my last code book I owned was the 03 I think, and this new one is entirely different. I flipped to the very back, and seen page 76, but the index in the fron called for something on page 97. that's when I saw it is actually like 2 codebooks in one. And thanks for that, because the original was not confusing enough...
                    I don't know if I understand anything soooo good. There are codes. Electrical, building, plumbing, whatever. Then there is the interpretation of the code. That's a more detailed explanation and understanding of code with examples of how it is to be followed and/or enforced.

There is an interpretation manual available. And honestly, it should come with the code. It's complete B.S. money thing for it not to be. (I do not own it but many inspectors do.)

Again, the interpretation as I understand it here in relation to IPC is that a homeowner can do anything to their own home provided it is done under the prevailing code and authority.

The 09 IPC seems lacking and butchered up some to me in comparison to the old code.

J.C.

Comment

Had a homeowner call me out yesterday. Told me on the phone he re-piped his entire home in pex and joints were leaking all over the place. I get there and it was some off the wall pex (cash acme) or some crazy stuff like that. Had EVERY fitting done with push on shark bites and the cheaper plastic white push on's, even used push on fitting on the faucets and push on angle stops, UNBELIEVABLE.

I told him I will NOT touch this mess. If you want a complete re-pipe I'm your man otherwise good luck. I walked.

Long story short. Unless you are an experienced professional plumber don't even try it. It's not cool telling the wifey you flooded the house while she was at work! LOL

Comment

I didn't answer what you asked me. Sorry.

That is my understanding of how things are interpreted and enforced although it is not specifically addressed with a number, sentence, definition, addendum i.e. "words" in the book itself.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                          Depends on what state you're talking about. Oklahoma? LOL for some reason I don't think so. You need to be more specific, Some States on the East Coast DO NOT allow homeowners to touch any plumbing.
                          So Home Depot and Lowes and all the other home improvement don't sell many fittings to homeowners there?

And JC, where does it say exactly in black and white a plumber has to do plumbing? Still can't find it in my book.

Comment

So Home Depot and Lowes and all the other home improvement don't sell many fittings to homeowners there?

And JC, where does it say exactly in black and white a plumber has to do plumbing? Still can't find it in my book.
                            I do not know. It may not and not going in the book tonight. Is there a reason that you specifically want to prove that a person has to be licensed to do plumbing for another?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Selling fittings has NOTHING to do with plumbing code. That's like YOU telling the inspector that you thought it was legal to do plumbing for your customers even though YOU don't have a plumbing license but it's ok because Home Depot sells pipe and fittings? WHAT????
                              Last edited by ironranger; 10-03-2011, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X