X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Holmes Inspections

Ive watched the show. Its a little over the top like most made for tv shows. I agree with some of it, but some of it is bs. Mike Holmes plays like a not for profit, but he is just another for profit contractor.
    Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Cleanouts on the bottom of the trap are not code in Canada.

I like how you people watch a show based in Canada, and assume there are "no inspectors" in Canada... The show is about fixing up poor work, what do you expect to see?

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post

I like how you people watch a show based in Canada, and assume there are "no inspectors" in Canada... The show is about fixing up poor work, what do you expect to see?
        I enjoy watching the show but in almost every show the p-trap does come up and every time the plumber says it's not to code to not have a clean out on the trap. So, what's the truth? And why would they say that in almost every show? I agree it's stupid but wtf?

Comment

A cleanout on the bottom of traps is redundent theres no need in four years of school and six years of inspections iv never heard of such a thing. Holmes is based out of ontario maybe its code there i cant understand why? Anyways the show is entertaining but just that its fictional no body in the real world can gut somebody house and use top of the line everything... The plumbers seem spaced out some of the crap you see is bogus. Here in Canada i have never seen anything but abs installed besides cast iron and system 15 pvc for commercial applications "condos" as far as the nails on the omega clips for pex if you hit the flat side that the nail goes through it will pop the clip right out even reusable.. very simple once you get the technique "i had a pain with them to untill i learned this."

Comment

I expect to see reasonable to code work on new homes [ 3 years old] I guess Canadians are use to hack work. WHERE WAS THE INSPECTOR ?
            `
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I was talking about these. You can bang on these until the cows come home, they're not coming off. Even with a claw hammer they're almost impossible to pull out.

http://www.dlmindustries.com/images/...ger-w-nail.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                I expect to see reasonable to code work on new homes [ 3 years old] I guess Canadians are use to hack work. WHERE WAS THE INSPECTOR ?
                `

Exactly! A lot of the shows are for homes that are only a few years old and the plumbing is garbage in a lot of them. What's up with that? Do they have inspectors? I really don't know. I guess the p-trap clean out may be an Ontario thing because it's brought up on almost every episode. Tearing out perfectly good p-traps for no good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  `
                  You're kidding yourself, there are probably more hacks in your State than in all of Canada... Look at the numbers.

Comment

You're kidding yourself, there are probably more hacks in your State than in all of Canada... Look at the numbers.
                    I would never get an occupancy permit on a new home with a missing 2nd storyhand rail ,balasters about 10" O.C.! Deck ledger board nailed to house. We use beams for ledgers ,plastic spacers, machine bolds. AND FLASHING ISN'T A CITY IN N.Y. MOLD on every job.
                    Stick to hockey. Oh wait, You're in trouble there too. Loose and burn Your own city down?? NEXT
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ignorance is bliss.

Comment

Inspectors here are the same as everywhere else, some really good, some not so much. The P-trap clean out is installed on all under sink accessible traps, the ones for the tub and shower have no clean out. I'm not a plumber but my house is 5 years old and that is how mine is done (I was here for the inspection on custom built home).
                        All houses are sched 40 ABS from what I have seen.
                        Holmes Inspection is an off shoot of Holmes on Homes, both shows seek out the worst examples of construction out there, some hack remodel some new construction. Believe me you have examples of it in every town in every state as well. Most of the new homes are in large building projects where people are paid by the house so they work as fast as possible, mistakes may be covered by the next trade before inspections are done. I know for a fact that not all houses in a project get a total inspection, samples of the project are inspected and the rest get a quick look and a general pass based on the sample homes.
                        We all have our fair share of morons, some riot, some protest, and some build houses.

Comment

That why the show is in canada?

Comment

HTFrom all threads on here about illegals uncertified ect ect mostly from the american members im sure we could find some hack jobs around where ever. You are to. Canada is much larger then your country with about a third of the population if that, to say canada must not have inspectors would be like me saying every american is over weight. Its. Vague uneducated and just not the truth, yes mike holmes can find some very poorly done houses, yes america has a problem with obesity doesnt mean the whole country is liike that.
                            If every house in canada was built like that he wouldnt have a job because that would be the norm, these are the worst he can find, is mike and his crew the best.....not a fricken chance there doing the job the way they think it should be done. I saw them screwing a sheer wall on one episode which.is not code must be nailed screws have no sheer strength what so ever. Does he make mistakes of course everyone does. Hes just unfortuante cause if it doesnt get edited people. That know what their doing see it.... Enough with the stereo types just cause you see it on tv or the internet doesnt make it so. I watch hoarders does that mean all americans are pack rats of course not its a few individuals that are the culprits no point stereotyping a nation because of a tv show... Seanny

Comment

I never meant for this thread to be a "let's pick on Canada" thread. I live and work an hour from the Canadian border and if things really go to hell here I may just come up for a long term visit.
                              Maybe I could be part of the show? You Betchya, Ya never know ya.

Comment

We just got a new building inspector. He used to be the building inspector in Kittery, and then York and then he did a stint in Hampton and because he is such an incompetent, arrogant A-Hole of a human being they decided to hire him on here. Let the games begin
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X