X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holmes Inspections

Ever watch the show? I believe it's set in Canada. What's the worst thing you've seen? So it's code that ALL p-traps in the home have the little clean out on the bottom of the p-trap? Doesn't that seem a bit over kill? I also notice they use all ABS pipe instead of PVC. Their plumbers like using pex too, haven't seen the Propress show up yet.
    The last one they showed a pull out spray kitchen faucet installed but the spray hose looped UNDER the drain, no way to pull it up! LOL

Re: Holmes Inspections

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
    Ever watch the show? I believe it's set in Canada. What's the worst thing you've seen? So it's code that ALL p-traps in the home have the little clean out on the bottom of the p-trap? Doesn't that seem a bit over kill? I also notice they use all ABS pipe instead of PVC. Their plumbers like using pex too, haven't seen the Propress show up yet.
    The last one they showed a pull out spray kitchen faucet installed but the spray hose looped UNDER the drain, no way to pull it up! LOL
    Never saw the show but saw previews for it.

Yea the little clean-out on P-trap is extremely useless. I might of seen 1 or 2 in my career, and they either break or you never get them off. Take the damn trap off and clean it that way for christ sakes!

I'm pretty sure New Jersey is all ABS. My in-laws live in South Jersey, and the one day I had to run to Lowes one day, and it's ALL ABS and no PVC in their pipe and fitting isle.

Comment

yeah that show is pretty good for the most part. But it seems like all DIY networks and shows seem to do things medeoaker when it comes to plumbing. And thats prolly cause its all pro bono work for the company to get on the show. Im in FL and its all about SCH. 40 for drain and water. And CPVC water systems for homes. I dont agree with PEX its cheap and more prone to leaks do to expanding and contracting.

Comment

PEX more prone to leaks than CPVC?
        Will Rogers Plumbing
        Moore, Oklahoma
        (
        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I've made it known here before that I've never used cpvc nor will I ever use cpvc for installations. I've repaired some but will never install it. I just think it's cheap and is more likely to get brittle and break etc. You could do pull ups from my pex installations and it wouldn't hurt the pipe or the fittings, and the little hanger nails do not come out! Anyone that uses those nails knows this. You better have them in the right spot because they're hell to remove.

Comment

I've installed miles of CPVC when I was doing apartments before going out on my own. Didn't get many problems with it, but I worry about how long it will last. It's way too prone to freezing and the high heat of the summer is hell on it too(unless it's looped under slap). It's not total crap, but it has way too many drawl backs. Weakness to freezing, chemicals, brittle, etc. PEX is the way to go(Wirsbo).
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

Comment

I agree with you about the pex but.. (Viega). I've used both and ended up sticking with Viega Pureflow. I re-piped my own basement with the clear Wirsbo and it's holding up well. The only thing I don't like about it is from my main water shut off to my water softener the clear wirsbo pipe is now dark brown, the rest of it after the softener looks brand new. We have very hard water and didn't expect anything less but I don't like looking at it. I know Wirsbo now makes red and blue too but I just like Viega, it's faster.

Comment

I agree with you about the pex but.. (Viega). I've used both and ended up sticking with Viega Pureflow. I re-piped my own basement with the clear Wirsbo and it's holding up well. The only thing I don't like about it is from my main water shut off to my water softener the clear wirsbo pipe is now dark brown, the rest of it after the softener looks brand new. We have very hard water and didn't expect anything less but I don't like looking at it. I know Wirsbo now makes red and blue too but I just like Viega, it's faster.
                Would it take much to run a piece of copper before the water softner?
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

As a carpenter,I can't believe the hack work on His show! Does Canada have building inspectors? I just saw a fairly new home with tons of rot!!! Where the Hell was the inspector?
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Would it take much to run a piece of copper before the water softner?
                    I could have but it's quite a ways from the main and when I did it I was lazy. I'm the only one who sees it anyway. I was surprised at how dark brown the inside of the pipe got but we all know what copper looks like inside too after it's been installed. I did a service call last year at a house that had wirsbo installed and the town is known for it's awful swampy water. I was shocked to see ALL the Wirsbo pipes in the basement GREEN! That's disgusting.

Comment

I got no problem at all with Viega at all. Great stuff. I use Wirsbo PEX mainly because 90% of homes around here are slab homes. We don't have too many basements, mostly remodels or additions I do are slab. Wirsbo is the only PEX that is approved for a connection under slab. Also Wirsbo is the only PEX(Rahau too) that you can expand or crimp. With Wirsbo you can't lose, so that's the brand I use. Crimping Wirsbo voids the warranty, but I've talk to Uponor before and they say expand or crimp, either way is fine. Being clear colored pipe is not a problem for me either, because on slab homes you don't ever see the pipe unless you cut open a wall.

If you use good PEX and good fittings you won't have a problem with PEX. I've never had a issue on Wirsbo or crimp style unless it was my fault. Like not calibrating the tool or using a fitting that was nicked. One drawl back with Wirsbo is in winter you have to use a heat gun to make the connections or they will take forever strink to the size they need before turning on the water. During the winter months I do more crimps, but still use Wirsbo PEX pipe.

I've seen PB piping that was install with good fittings that are still holding strong and it was installed in the 80's. I believe PEX will out last me. I hate that it is so easy to install, it down grades our trade. But the piping is so much better than Copper or Galvanized.
                      Last edited by Will Rogers Plumbing; 10-06-2011, 12:55 PM.
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

Comment

I did a PB apartment job about 1985. Calibrated the tools every morning before we started and again after lunch. 185 units have yet to have an issue. Go figure.

Comment

I don't like CPVC at all, because I'm constantly fixing glue joints on the Hot side of the system.

That's why I'm paying extra to have Pex in my new house.

Comment

I've actually crimped Wirsbo using Viega fittings and sleeves in the past and have had no problems.

Comment

I've made it known here before that I've never used cpvc nor will I ever use cpvc for installations. I've repaired some but will never install it. I just think it's cheap and is more likely to get brittle and break etc. You could do pull ups from my pex installations and it wouldn't hurt the pipe or the fittings, and the little hanger nails do not come out! Anyone that uses those nails knows this. You better have them in the right spot because they're hell to remove.
                              Yea, what's with those nails? They are like bionic or something. It's near impossible to pull the damn things out when you screw up.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X