Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I exhaust My dryer into hot water chimney ????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I exhaust My dryer into hot water chimney ????

Have a neighbor,great Guy,and customer. That was the question yesterday. I did some
    repairs to his home and commented on His clothes dryer dumping all that moisture into His garage. I will run it in the wall up to roof [ tar and gravel] I happen to have a 140 Gal. Kettle and a little 40 gal. for roof repairs.
    BINGO, HEY RICKEY BOY, BET YOU DON'T HAVE A KETTLE ! HA HA
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Can I exhaust My dryer into hot water chimney ????

i don't like the idea of the lint not making its way out, it is a bear to clean out the lint once it starts clogging the pipe.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

absolutely not. Besides clogging the flue or chimney with lint, you risk flue gas going right back through the dryer.

Comment

tool. no kettle. but i do have a lead pot and burner.

do you do shower pans too?

dryer vents need to terminate outside and are limited to the manufacturer distance both total length and vertical height.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
          absolutely not. Besides clogging the flue or chimney with lint, you risk flue gas going right back through the dryer.
          I explaned he could die from carbon Monoxide ! All our eichler homes[slab on grade] Duct in wall to flat roof.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I uploaded this picture and forgot to include it with my thread. This was a horizontal run, about 15' long, and dropped about 3' from the dryer duct location in the wall. This is from 3 years of buildup.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I use a leaf blower ,with a towel wrapped around it to clean out My 8' vertical duct. of course this is at the wall bottom end. Roof looks like a snow storm hit!

Comment

Hot water chimney? That the vent on the hot water heater?

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                  Hot water chimney? That the vent on the hot water heater?
                  Sorry,My mistake. He thought he could cut His 4" gas W.H. CHIMNEY PIPE and Y in the dryer. Only a college educated person would do this. I like being ENLISTED TRASH.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Sorry,My mistake. He thought he could cut His 4" gas W.H. CHIMNEY PIPE and Y in the dryer. Only a college educated person would do this. I like being ENLISTED TRASH.
                    Ya, you "can" do it. As for fumes going up, then deciding to go down the dryer vent, I think it is pretty unlikely. My concern would be aside from that being straight wrong, condensation possibly forming in the 4 inch and dripping down and rusting out the tank faster. Or the 4 inch pipe depending on what it is made of.

and for carbon monoxide to actually "backfeed" through the dryer, I would think there would have to be some sort of draft flowing that way in the first place. Just seems highly unlikely to me. I have seen plenty of houses with no vent at all on the water heater, and the only complaint was from me. they never got sick or anything. I understand it "can" happen, but seems a little unlikely to me for it to happen if you have a properly vented tank.

But I would def say no to wye'ing anything into the water heater vent.

Again, just my thoughts on it.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Have a neighbor,great Guy,and customer. That was the question yesterday. I did some
                      repairs to his home and commented on His clothes dryer dumping all that moisture into His garage. I will run it in the wall up to roof [ tar and gravel] I happen to have a 140 Gal. Kettle and a little 40 gal. for roof repairs.
                      BINGO, HEY RICKEY BOY, BET YOU DON'T HAVE A KETTLE ! HA HA

CAN you? Yes.

You CAN also jump off a bridge, play on the freeway, etc. Should you? No. Would it meet code? No. Is it a good idea? No.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I can not believe this is even being discussed as a possibility on this PROFESSIONAL PLUMBERS FORUM!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          tool. no kettle. but i do have a lead pot and burner.

do you do shower pans too?

dryer vents need to terminate outside and are limited to the manufacturer distance both total length and vertical height.

rick.
                          The manufacture has limits but it is the Code that specifies what the developed length (4' added for elbows) of the vent should be.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                            I can not believe this is even being discussed as a possibility on this PROFESSIONAL PLUMBERS FORUM!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!
                            I WOULD NEVER ,EVER CONSIDER FOR A NANO SECOND, SUCH A DANGEROUS
                            HACK IDEA! I'm just sharing what homeowners have in their head. The IPC says 25ft max and deduct 2'6" for each 90. Yes I know We're U.P.C.. He gets to open wall,do cut out rock,clean up and rock.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                              Ya, you "can" do it. As for fumes going up, then deciding to go down the dryer vent, I think it is pretty unlikely. My concern would be aside from that being straight wrong, condensation possibly forming in the 4 inch and dripping down and rusting out the tank faster. Or the 4 inch pipe depending on what it is made of.

and for carbon monoxide to actually "backfeed" through the dryer, I would think there would have to be some sort of draft flowing that way in the first place. Just seems highly unlikely to me. I have seen plenty of houses with no vent at all on the water heater, and the only complaint was from me. they never got sick or anything. I understand it "can" happen, but seems a little unlikely to me for it to happen if you have a properly vented tank.

But I would def say no to wye'ing anything into the water heater vent.

Again, just my thoughts on it.
                              Really!? No vent on the GAS water heater at all!? Yikes oh friday! That is scarey!

Comment

Working...
                              X