• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great race

The mighty Ridgid 300 versus the venerable #22

sigpic

Re: The great race

see if they can beat the 66 second time on 1'' black steel, cut, ream, oil, thread, and catch a 90. all by hand.

when they can, i know it's time to hang it up.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

That was 1-1/4 so it's gonna be a bit harder and an R22 stock and handle which is also harder to use than a 12-R . the ratchet spacing on the 22's and the oo's sucks. Still, the 300 will probably go 2 to 3 times to 1 over manual threading. Next up, the R-65 and 2" pipe
      sigpic

Comment

NH...is that you talking in the background?

Comment

Those Lads need rocks in their pockets, to hold them down! Were We EVER that Young and skinny?
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Those Lads need rocks in their pockets, to hold them down! Were We EVER that Young and skinny?

I'm starting to think I've always been old and fat and the old days were just a cool dream I once had.

Comment

I keep telling them that plumbers never pass up a meal
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                The mighty Ridgid 300 versus the venerable #22

That looked like fun! The kiddo doing the hand threading waited an awful long time to oil those threads imo. I normally give them a squirt before I start threading to save the #1 die.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

By the time they decided to race that die had enough oil on it to lube an Oldsmobile 88
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    By the time they decided to race that die had enough oil on it to lube an Oldsmobile 88
                    I have one, its self lubricating. The undercarriage gets 1 qt every 1,000 miles whether it needs it or not.
                    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Wow, got a bit confused when you guys said "THE GREAT RACE" Its called the Bathurst 1000 ..... It was held on the week here just gone... Go HOLDEN.....

Comment

As recent as last thursday I had to rework a gas line at a home where the trunk line coming in was 1.25" and I made like 2-3 threads on 2 sections of pipe.

As mentioned, should have oil on those the second you see a curl of metal coming off the pipe. That fellow was making it very laborious with such short swings on the ratcheting.

Should be pulling from 10 o'clock down to the 6 o'clock if you want to thread that pipe with less effort and time.

That contest should be done with setup time included. There are many MANY times I dragged the stand, the 300 machine, cords, oiler and basket over huge muddy ruts in the fronts of buildings, sometimes 40 yards away whereby I would of gladly hand banged those threads without searching for electric, grabbing all that heavy equipment.

Some memories never escape you, and with good reason.

I cannot convince myself to buy a 700 threader. I've been manually threading black iron now my entire career and since I don't even do it weekly, I cannot say I'm in need of the tool. Last thursday I must of put 9-11 sets of threads on pipe. It really wasn't that bad.

Actually, the homeowner was impressed with me doing it old school.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar You're a dieing generation! My favorite part was after, when the Lad looked sad at His gloved finger. A l'il Metal splinter made it in the glove. " Suck it up buttercup"
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

My favorite part of hand threading is the rewind. How fast can you get that thing to swing. If you only have a few threads to make up, a truck vise,
                            one of these,
                            and a can of this is the way to go.
                            Last edited by Plumbus; 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Scott , Is that Your elec. hand threader ? What brand, is it holding up? Tanks Tool

Comment

Working...
                              X