Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drip legs on some appliences,only ???????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drip legs on some appliences,only ???????

I put a 6" drip leg before ALL gas appliances. But, I often see them missing on some.
    Two examples are ,Gas stoves, and Gas logs. Why do You suppose they aren't ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Drip legs on some appliences,only ???????

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    I put a 6" drip leg before ALL gas appliances. But, I often see them missing on some.
    Two examples are ,Gas stoves, and Gas logs. Why do You suppose they aren't ?
    I don't know about up there but we have really clean and dry gas. We have not been required to do drip legs in at least the last 40-years.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I don't know about up there but we have really clean and dry gas. We have not been required to do drip legs in at least the last 40-years.

Mark
      Funny ,You said the same exact thing in 2005. We have to use them here. I enjoy reading old posts and visiting
      with "the dog" A plumber's plumber !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

the only thing i find in drip legs is oil and maybe a little metal from cutting threads
        never water
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
          are you sure mark

at the last dinner get together, the gas sounded pretty wet and stinky

i don't ever remember installing a drip leg. but have removed many from old school installs.

same thing, occasionally cutting oil and thread shavings.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

City of Anaheim,Calif. requires a drip leg.

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
              the only thing i find in drip legs is oil and maybe a little metal from cutting threads
              never water
              Thats why I call them dirt legs, most of the time. Around here, they want dirt (drip) legs on furnaces and water heaters, but rarely do I see them on stoves or dryers, can't explain it. But they don't want the drip legs exposed to freezing weather, even though I never seen condensation in one ever, & I installed many on roof top furnaces, & never got a violation, or had any problem with freezing. Didn't even think about it, until about 5 or 6yrs ago, when an inspector made me remove the drip leg on a nat gas backup generator. Reason why I probobly never thought about it,......BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN WATER IN ONE.

Comment

Well a lot of times manufacturers specs. requires therm on certain appliances.Got failed once for not having one on a furnace. Then was told we don't need to install them becuase the gas was cleaner and had less condensation . I still install them at the appliances.Not in the middle of a run where you have to drop down /jump up though. As far as the drip legs on generators etc. , most inspectors do not like them because they make it easy for you or someone else to add on after the fact..
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

in PA they want them and DE the drip leg had to be inside ,

i like when i see them on the run of a tee
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

2009 UPC Section 1211.8.1 For other than dry conditions, a drip shall be provided at any point in the line of pipe where condensate could collect. One of the towns I work in requires them. I think it's a pet peeve of the inspector (Authority Having Jurisdiction).

Comment

Drip legs are intended for unoccupied gas appliances. That would be any appliance such as a furnace, boiler, or water heater that is capable of turning on by itself. Stoves, dryers, gas logs, and fire places generally require someone present to monitor the start up.

Comment

We only are required at the furnace and water heater.

Comment

If I recall correctly, someone once posted that in his city a drip is required everytime a direction is changed...something crazy like that....maybe I'm wrong....Does anyone remember that post?

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                            If I recall correctly, someone once posted that in his city a drip is required everytime a direction is changed...something crazy like that....maybe I'm wrong....Does anyone remember that post?
                            Yes that was Me on a S.F.
                            remodel. The inspector wanted it, He didn't get it. He's great for making up His own code.

Comment

Working in SF was the worst. You would have to have a valve and a cap to clean them out. By code they are supposed to be after the shutoff valve to the appliance. I think most inspectors there are not professionals, just appointed by a family member in city hall.

Comment

Working...
                              X