Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Three inch pipe

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Obviously , The 3 or 4" Riser isn;t meant to structurally support the throne . Those ROUND holes on the flange go into concrete,pour rock or wood.If it ain't there,put it there. I Know the original plumber , His name is " VAN CRAPPER "
    I agree but its near impossible to get quickcrete around pipe once flange is set and is impossible before hand. It is just my opinion that 4 inch is better and will most likely be done right.

Comment

Looks like the pipe parana starts right up against the hub which means the flange part of the fitting needs to be removed first.

Another approach would be to run a tape down through the flange to the bottom of the pipe attached to it. Subtract 1 and 7/8", set an internal pipe cutter to that depth, cut the pipe and remove pipe and flange. Take a ram bit and grind out the pipe in the hub below. Insert new 3" pipe and one of these:

In an existing slab, we usually set our anchors onto the flange and then pour quick setting concrete around it.

If the flange was 4", you could have used one of these to remove it.
      Sioux Chief
      Last edited by Plumbus; 10-14-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killing time View Post
        I agree but its near impossible to get quickcrete around pipe once flange is set and is impossible before hand. It is just my opinion that 4 inch is better and will most likely be done right.
        That's why You dry set flange,remove, pour pour rock cement,glue,set flange,and have a beer. Next day when You sober up. Drill and screw in mushroom head tap con screws. So eazy a vancrapper can do it! " WILL THE REAL VANCRAPER,PLEASE STAND UP!!"
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

[QUOTE=Plumbus;362067]Looks like the pipe parana starts right up against the hub which means the flange part of the fitting needs to be removed first.

No, there is enough of a stand-off that this is not necessary. The Pipe paranna will drill though the flange and it will come loose.

Comment

I watched the demo of the Pipe Parana at a trade show a few years ago. I almost bought the kit at a steep discount at the show, but I couldn't see myself using it enough. Maybe one day I will just buy the 3" one.

I have replaced many, many flanges just fine without ever having to use an internal one that goes into 3" pipe. They don't meet code here, so I'm not going to use them.

What I like to do for a broken 3" flange that has a large space in the concrete around it is to cut the pipe enough with an internal pipe cutter so that I can install a coupling on the pipe. I set the top of the coupling even with or just slightly below the top of the finished floor. I can then pour my quick setting concrete into the void around the pipe and trowel it smooth. I clean up my mess and start putting stuff back on the truck.

By the time I am done with that, the concrete has hardened enough to install my new flange with a stainless steel ring into the hub of the coupling. I shoot long Tapcon screws into the ground at a 45 degree angle to catch some of the old concrete, and then reinstall the toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              That's why You dry set flange,remove, pour pour rock cement,glue,set flange,and have a beer. Next day when You sober up. Drill and screw in mushroom head tap con screws. So eazy a vancrapper can do it! " WILL THE REAL VANCRAPER,PLEASE STAND UP!!"
              Um if you pour cement around the pipe your not going to be able to glue the flange on. You do realize that a 3inch flange does go on the outside of a 3 inch pipe dont you? Maybe the real vancrapper needs to sit down.

Comment

Ya Gotta Be fast Kid!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

PARANA WANNA BEE ? Am I the only one that wants to make His own???? Start with 2 hole saws. Metal chop saw one in half,top to bottom. Mig weld or braze one inside other. braze copper pipe inside assembly , to use as guide. You can always vacuum out cut Pvs
                  sawdust or wash down drain. I must have 2 dozen morse hole saws,all sizes. Any ideas Guys ? Guy could buy a lotta beans with the savings !

Comment

Yeah 3" is pretty typical in Oregon on older homes.

Comment

3 " is code here i try to always use 3x4 90s but have used 3" defore you see alot of it ... Havent had to dix many ... As long as there ancored correctly shouldnt be * problem?

Comment

Your right seanny but the biggest problem is that they never seem to be anchored properly here. When they pour the slab they have the styrofoam around them and then there is nothing to anchor to. And I also believe is inevidable that plastic flanges are going to break. And thats on 3 inch pipe or four inch pipe just not much there to hold it and alot of leverege with a toilet. Its just easier to fix it when its four inch and my experience it will most likely be anchored or have the concrete there so you can anchor it.

Comment

Working...
                        X