Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultra water conservation a problem ?

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    Those huge cooling towers you see a fossil and at nuke plants evaporate about thousands of gallons of water around the clock whenever the unit is running. That's nothing but water vapor you see coming out the top of the tower. It's not radioactive or contaminated, it's just water. Might have come from a river or the ocean or bay or a lake, buts it's clean water. I don't know what the salinity level is at that point but I would imagine much of the salt and other impurities are left behind by the evaporation process. Processing the water to make it potable from that point would seem to be relatively simple, half the work is done with what is now waste energy. There must be a way to capitalize on that. Yes, most are not close to the point of use for the water but many water systems (NY and CA are two I can think of right off) carry their water from hundreds of miles away, this would be no different.
    Power plants aren't the only places where cooling towers have this potential.
    Today's Facility Manager - Save Water While Quenching Cooling Towers

I'm surprised none of you who have responded to this thread haven't mentioned dry pipe syndrome. Our waste system was designed to function with a certain minimum flow of effluent. Reduce this flow substantially and beware the unintended circumstances.

Comment

Not a problem. O.P. says " Huey Uses Mommys house to crap ! "
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
        We figure he can get by with only using 60 metered gallons a month ....

Here is his plan

1 flush a day with a 1.6 closet , tight fast hand wash .4 gallons

Shower at the Gym on the way home

Eat out at the mom and pop around the corner use their rest room wash hands there

anything that uses excess water do elsewhere

He is going to do a rain Barrel

I told him we need to install an up-stream cleanout and run a jetter every few months we would use water from the rain barrel for the jetter ...
        First of all transferring your water use to another source is not conversation, using the Mom and pops restroom and showering at the gym is just using some one else's water, not necessary using less, or washing your clothes at the laundry mat, even the water barrel is not necessarily less use, just less bought,

this is a little like saying I am going to conserve fuel, I will just siphon it out of my neighbors tank, (that will show the gas station),
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

First of all transferring your water use to another source is not conversation, using the Mom and pops restroom and showering at the gym is just using some one else's water, not necessary using less, or washing your clothes at the laundry mat, even the water barrel is not necessarily less use, just less bought,
          this is a little like saying I am going to conserve fuel, I will just siphon it out of my neighbors tank, (that will show the gas station),
          lEven though I totally agree with the above, I still get real disgusted when some bureaucratic type tells us we are having a water shortage.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Pay the water bill and get over it !!

Comment

Pay the water bill and get over it !!
              Unfortunately, that's what most people are doing. They should be protesting the costs.
              Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

There really are a lot of costs related to acquiring, treating and distributing potable water. I was talking to a guy in a local district who said their pipe is starting to look like it's stainless steel because there are so many repair clamps on it. They have three crews. One crew is laying new pipe and other two crews are addressing the 1,000 emergency leaks they have each year. Add to that many districts are starting to add recycled water lines in the street which they will never recoup the money for the installation let alone the treatment. I'm all for conservation but it needs to make sense.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Here's the list of ongoing projects that my water purveyor is undertaking to the tune of $4.6 billion.
                  Bids On Line
                  And, my water bill, though climbing, is still very reasonable. I wonder for how much longer.

Comment

I have heard the statement "Oh your so lucky, you have your own well". I think there referring to the monthly cost of paying for water,

the last I heard was the cost of drilling a well in our area for our depth is in the 15 to 20,000 dollar range, that is with pipe and pump installed,
                    in our experience a pump will go for about 10 years, (talking a submersible pump),

then you have electricity as well,

you have the trenching and water lines, any treatment is your cost,

a well may last a long time, many are 50 year old, but even if one does not figure the cost of interest, the cost of the well over 50 years, is still about $400 a year, with interest, one most likely would at least add a 1/3 to that cost, per year, so say $135,
                    you have the electricity to pump the water, say $15 to $30 a month,
                    like I said you pumps only last about 10 years in our area, (last time I had the well guy come out and replace a pump which was about 15 years ago, (put in the windmills and do it my self now), it was $1000 for him to show up and do it, my guess is it would close to double that now, so you have another $15 to 20 a month there,

so you have $44.40 for the original well, and system,
                    electricity of say $20
                    replacement pumps I will say $17 a month, and that does not count costs like if the drop pipe needs replacement,

I am coming up with $81.40, prorated costs a month, and that does not cover the cost of any treatment or distribution,
                    I know the cost in our local town is a lot less than that figure,

and then when some thing does happen it in your ball park for getting it fixed, and payed for,

and the windmills need more maintenance than a submersible, usually need a yearly re leathering of the pumps cylinder,

what I am saying is even tho water is original "free" it still costs to build the infrastructure and to treat and to distribute it, and there is very few "free" things in life,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I am the President of a small water company in Utah. We charge a flat fee of $240 per residential meter and the commercial meters depend on the business. Our system is fed from an artesian spring developed at the top of my property. We have a couple of miles of pipes and the only pump we have is a 12 volt chlorination pump. The system has been very inexpensive to operate.

Now because of growth we need to add a well which will require almost a mile of electricity run plus a 500,000 gallon tank. I am really concerned about how this will change our costs.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        I am the President of a small water company in Utah. We charge a flat fee of $240 per residential meter and the commercial meters depend on the business. Our system is fed from an artesian spring developed at the top of my property. We have a couple of miles of pipes and the only pump we have is a 12 volt chlorination pump. The system has been very inexpensive to operate.

Now because of growth we need to add a well which will require almost a mile of electricity run plus a 500,000 gallon tank. I am really concerned about how this will change our costs.

Mark
                        I would think you'll need some upgrade on your chlorination, as well. Water quality testing and maintenance will also come into play.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                          I would think you'll need some upgrade on your chlorination, as well. Water quality testing and maintenance will also come into play.
                          I am actually hoping there will be an offset. The resorts we serve are seasonal so the well will only be in use for 4-5 months per year. Once we run the power to the spring/well area we can get rid of the batteries and the need for charging them. The new 120 volt chlorinator is trouble free compared to our existing 12 volt pump. Because our water is ground source we do not fall under the SWTR and all we need to do is maintain a residual of .2 ppm of free chlorine. My big question will be valving between the well and the spring and whether I want them to be manual or automatic.

Mark

Comment

We dont have meters yet but i do pay 225$ a year and people ***** about that.. i just laugh not even 20$ a month its the three to four hundred a month i pay for electricity in the winter months that busts my balls. Seanny

Comment

If it were free we would still find something to complain about.
                              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

With all of this talk about about the cost of water, many do not blink an eye at spending a dollar for a 20oz bottle of water. In comparison, that is a cost of $.05 per ounce for bottled water versus tier one MMWD costs of $.000037 per ounce. Granted there is more filtering involved in bottled water but is it worth 1500 times the money? Most R.O. systems produces a better quality water than some bottles waters.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X