Ultra water conservation a problem ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra water conservation a problem ?

I have been in an ongoing discussion with a friend of mine about super water conservation ...

We figure he can get by with only using 60 metered gallons a month ....

Here is his plan

1 flush a day with a 1.6 closet , tight fast hand wash .4 gallons

Shower at the Gym on the way home

Eat out at the mom and pop around the corner use their rest room wash hands there

anything that uses excess water do elsewhere

He is going to do a rain Barrel

I told him we need to install an up-stream cleanout and run a jetter every few months we would use water from the rain barrel for the jetter ...

I wonder if I put an increaser on the top of his vent stack if it would keep things washed down enough ...

I wonder what the city where he lives will do when they see his low consumption ...

The guy is pretty anal and can probably pull it off ... LOL

Here is an interesting side bar ...

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_14467803
    Last edited by NoeEttica; 10-15-2011, 07:36 AM.

Re: Ultra water conservation a problem ?

The MMWD rate increase reasoning is nothing new. LADWP went through the same thing when residents saved too much water. It seems the more they tell us to save the lower their revenues hence the increases. The truth is we do not have a water shortage, we have a shortage of treated drinking water. With all of the water on this planet we only treat .34% into potable water.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Why? Is there a shortage?
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I fully agree, there is no water shortage. The underground piping of the community (city, county or whatever they call it) water systems are totally worn out. They just keep patching them. They blow the revenue on other things. It's just another form of taxation. When they get short of money, they let all the good employees go and keep all the upper level dead beats.
        Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I love topics like this....when you dig in deeper, you sometimes find that this kind of person drinks a quart of whiskey a day ...or smokes 3 packs of cigarettes a day...or has ATV which he rides 24-7....or gambles like no tomorrow.....doesn't worry about all that money he blows, but then worries about 20 bucks of water! LOL

Comment

SORRY,I'm surprised this IDIOT isn't marching on wall street with His friends.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

use a bucket from the rain barrel to flush and save the 1.6 gallons.

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post

1 flush a day with a 1.6 closet , tight fast hand wash .4 gallons
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Wonder if the indians ran out of water ? " EAGLE CLAW , SHUT OFF THAT LAKE ,WHILE BRUSHING YOUR TOOTH ! "
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

UTAH IS RIGHT ON! In marin co. the rates went up on Us because of conservation.
                  What's white and sleeps SIX ? A Marin Co. water district truck !

Comment

Keep it coming ... Spoke with him today he is more concerned with the sewer ...

I saw his bill it runs about $26.00 with NO CONSUMPTION ...

I'll check on his "habits" lol

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      The truth is we do not have a water shortage, we have a shortage of treated drinking water. With all of the water on this planet we only treat .34% into potable water.
                      If I'm correct, don't some of those Arab countries have treatment plants to go from salt water to fresh?

When I was in the Navy, one of the 2 pumps on our salt water treatment plants broke down while out at sea. We only had enough water to cook and drink with, and we were not allowed to shower or shave for 1 week until we got back to port. Yea..it was nice growing a beard, but the ship sure did stink for that week!

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        If I'm correct, don't some of those Arab countries have treatment plants to go from salt water to fresh?

When I was in the Navy, one of the 2 pumps on our salt water treatment plants broke down while out at sea. We only had enough water to cook and drink with, and we were not allowed to shower or shave for 1 week until we got back to port. Yea..it was nice growing a beard, but the ship sure did stink for that week!
                        The United Arab Emirates has the largest one in the World but there are dozens of them around. The US has four in operation and more in the planning stage. The biggest factor is the amount of energy it takes to desalinate. Even with treating fresh water the great costs are always energy costs.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

NoeEtta , You're breaking a Florida law ! You need a license to run A DAYCARE !

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            The United Arab Emirates has the largest one in the World but there are dozens of them around. The US has four in operation and more in the planning stage. The biggest factor is the amount of energy it takes to desalinate. Even with treating fresh water the great costs are always energy costs.

Mark
                            Those huge cooling towers you see a fossil and at nuke plants evaporate about thousands of gallons of water around the clock whenever the unit is running. That's nothing but water vapor you see coming out the top of the tower. It's not radioactive or contaminated, it's just water. Might have come from a river or the ocean or bay or a lake, buts it's clean water. I don't know what the salinity level is at that point but I would imagine much of the salt and other impurities are left behind by the evaporation process. Processing the water to make it potable from that point would seem to be relatively simple, half the work is done with what is now waste energy. There must be a way to capitalize on that. Yes, most are not close to the point of use for the water but many water systems (NY and CA are two I can think of right off) carry their water from hundreds of miles away, this would be no different.
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

The Tampa Desal plant recovers something from the power plant next door

And yes my CEU guy says contractors are like a Day Care Sometimes ...

Comment

Working...
                              X