X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trap seal protection for floor sinks

Do your inspectors require trap primers on floor sinks? Per UPC 1007.0: Floor drains or similar traps directly connected to the drainage system and subject to infrequent use shall be protected with a trap primer, except where not deemed necessary for safety or sanitation by the Authority Having Jurisdiction.

I have a situation where the sink will get discharge from a radiant boiler in the winter months and from an A-C unit in the summer.In such a situation, I don't think the trap needs priming. But, I'm not the Authority Having Jurisdiction. Unfortunately, the gentleman who is is clueless.

Re: Trap seal protection for floor sinks

/Sigh

I don't think our Authority Having Jurisdiction knows what a trap primer is.
    if he doesn't know any better, and You don't think it needs it, don't sweat it.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I wouldn't install a trap primer if the floor drain is getting year round discharge ..
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

"I don't think our Authority Having Jurisdiction knows what a trap primer is.
        if he doesn't know any better, and You don't think it needs it, don't sweat it."

He may not know any better, but when I asked him, he said he wanted one. I'll deal with him later after polling a number of local inspectors who actually know something about plumbing. For now, I just want to know how it's treated in other areas.

Comment

Trap primers..Funny a few months ago a restraunt owner called me and said water was contantly running in the floor drain right next to his mop sink.I told him there has to be a fouled trap primer around there somewhere..I looked around for atleast an hour.Finally after pulling the refrigerator that backed up to the mens bathroom , I noticed a drywall patch..I cut the wall open again and noticed a t between the lavy and toilet . The line was couplinged together and went into the floor . I cut the water off and capped the t . The trap primer had been removed and water was running full flow.I asked the owner when that was done and he had instant amnesia. I told him that if there was and down stream stoppage it would have been flood city.
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Dan, you know who wants them in floor drains. Know you know how i felt with that idiot!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

"floor drains or similar"...."Subject to infrequent use"

You feeling frisky and maybe want to play this one out?

I sometimes play them through and win.
              It will obviuosly come down to if his superior likes your "Package" better than his.He may be a Ford guy,do you drive a Ford?

You know as well as I common sense won't be a part of the final decision.
              Just recently had a City make a plumber tear out a plastic ground work on a three story custom and put in decomposing cast.

Is it a commercial building or private to where one person decides for themselves if they don't want A/C

Comment

years ago we were able to install trap primers and a shut off valve before them.

now it's no shut off and trap primers with no adjusting screw.

trap primers tend to be a problem waiting to happen.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

For me I usually find that no matter how much the installers point out where the access needs to be left for trap primers, they are almost always buried behind drywall, cabinets, etc. God help you in later years if you have to find one of these in a commercial building or anywhere. Hidden by tile etc. and noone with any idea they are there. The search for these buggers is one of the reasons most of my hair is gone.

Comment

ı know im always off topic but rather then starting a thread im gona vent since were "distcusting" i mean disgousing authority having jurisdiction. My village just passed a code referendum stating any new house or permitted renovation must run and allo for future hot water solar assistence. I was confused as to what this entitled. Have done solar assisted hot water tanks with the help of a certified technition but every job is different. Went to council asked for clarificatiion they told me ask building and plumbing inspector they tell me "were not sure" any certified installer gets there own inspection, tell them so what does that mean they dont know, anyways final anwer as of know is run to copper lines 3/4" to attic down to hot water heater. Tank or tankless, i ask to south side of building? Seemed logical plumbing inspector replies i dont know? Anyways im sick of **** that sounds trendy being adopted when know one has an answer. Do you guys get buricratical crap like this or is it just me? Anyways as far as floor sinks go trap primer seems redudent a floor drain maybe but floor sinks end up beeing the janitors dump site anyways dont they? Its three inch traps on the ones iv seen the hotel i do work on has one that doesnt get used i filled it with plumbing antifreeze three years ago and still no smell doesnt seem to evaporate? Dont know why? Thanks for reading seanny

Comment

Yes i flunked spelling and grammer and punction sorry seany

Comment

years ago we were able to install trap primers and a shut off valve before them.
                        Nothing in the UPC says you can't put a valve before a trap primer. How do they expect you to service it, by shutting down the whole building?
                        "Subject to infrequent use"
                        You feeling frisky and maybe want to play this one out?
                        Not looking for confrontation, just trying to avoid installing an unnecessary maintenance headache.
                        I sometimes play them through and win.
                        It will obviuosly come down to if his superior likes your "Package" better than his.He may be a Ford guy,do you drive a Ford? I'm not planning on going over his head. The GC's super already tried that, resulting in a filed inspector with an attitude. My plan is to bring him around to my thinking on the subject.
                        You know as well as I common sense won't be a part of the final decision.
                        Just recently had a City make a plumber tear out a plastic ground work on a three story custom and put in decomposing cast.
                        2010 CPC Section 701,2,2 doesn't allow much wiggle room. It may be arbitrary, but it's not ambiguous.

Is it a commercial building or private to where one person decides for themselves if they don't want A/C
                        Residental. If the money this guy is spending to build this house is any indication, I don't think he's worried about A/C electricity bills or whether A/C is PC greenwise.

I guess the new Forum doesn't support colored copy?
                        Last edited by Plumbus; 10-16-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

A private home for one reason or another has more potential to have someone take a system offline.If the house is sold the new owner my consider the noise of the compressors too loud and upseting the sun gods.

Splitting hairs I know.
                          But then again I've put on thousands of anti-siphon devices on hose bibs inconvienencing hundreds upon hundreds of homeowners with low volume and a side spitting PITA they cannot fix.
                          I'll bet not a single one was used in the case it was designed for.
                          Code requires em

Your very knowledgeable and diplomatic Scott,I'll bet you sway him.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                            Yes i flunked spelling and grammer and punction sorry seany
                            Don't be looking to me for any help.
                            Ask Mrs. Seatdown if she has any time between checking P-Rick's posts to look over yours.

Comment

adam, joey doesn't help me. she looks for my mistakes and points them out ot everyone.

as far as a shutoff valve goes. we can't install a shut off valve just for the trap primer. it has to also shut off other fixtures, such as a sink.

what they don't want is a shut off or adjusting screw just for the primer. too easy to defeat it and make it useless.

the best location for a trap primer is not behind an access panel that will be inaccessible for the most part. rather stub out like you would an angle stop and stub out 6''+ below for the discharge. saves the panel and allows for simple inspection and service when need be.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X