X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ventilation of enclosed space

I've got a question for some of you rural guys. Does a propane fired gas appliance in an enclosed space require a floor vent to fresh air? If so, how is it to be sized?

Re: ventilation of enclosed space

I size the free air and combustion air for LP the same as I would for Nat gas. How many BTU's are in the space?

Comment

There are several ways to properly vent a room. There is a wonderful section in most code books that show all the options. The size of the vent opening required is relevant to your options.

Comment

We have always used a 3" to run a propane drain. I am not sure when they are required. My personal house has a sensor at the floor and a solenoid valve inline of the gas supply to kill it. It also has a f fan on a timer to run an hour per day. It isn't all required by code here.
        Last edited by Birddoggiest; 10-18-2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
          I've got a question for some of you rural guys. Does a propane fired gas appliance in an enclosed space require a floor vent to fresh air? If so, how is it to be sized?
          Sounds like Your Tahoe cabin !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

My app is a bunker with a propane fired generator on a big estate. My place in the mountains went to nat gas about 5 yrs. ago. Before that, when we had a propane furnace put in the basement in the late 90's, we had to vent the area.
            According to the AHJ, the UPC no longer has such a requirement. It just defers to NFPA 58. Searching through NFPA 58 (Liquified Petroleum Gas Code) on line I came up with nothing.

Comment

I think I have a copy of the options and sizes accordingly. As soon as I get back I'll post them.

Comment

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multim...1-009_0107.pdf Take a look at page 10 and 11. This gives you some options of make-up/combustion air and required surface area per BTUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jones Mechanicals View Post
                  http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multim...1-009_0107.pdf Take a look at page 10 and 11. This gives you some options of make-up/combustion air and required surface area per BTUs.
                  Your reference deals with air openings and combustion air. I see no mention of ventilation of a heavier than air gas (propane).

Comment

Make-up air is for combustion air not to exhaust propane. You want to exhaust leaking propane? If you are in a situation where propane build up is an issue then you need a solenoid valve connected to the outside of the structure on the inlet gas and an indoor mounted safety sensor. I have never heard of a code that dealt directly with a bottom vent to exhaust leaking gas. I have however seen a case where there should have been one. The guy blew his built in BBQ 80' into the neighbors yard.

Comment

Working...
                    X