Job application quiz.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job application quiz.

I went to apply for a plumbing job yesterday. They gave me a quiz along with the application. I think I did ok. However, how many of you know the size of a Price Pfister tub shower stem washer. I had no idea. Isn't that something that most would look up rather than memorize?

Re: Job application quiz.

Over the years I've just dumped all my washers in a bin and search for one that will fit. I knew a plumber once that gave applicants a test by having them play a simple video game. If they won then they passed. If the lost they were shown the door!

Comment

If I remember correctly the size is...who gives a crap
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        3/8"???? You're right who cares, just find one that fits! Sort of a dumb question to have on a test.

Comment

Ok, here's the real answer. It's a Price Phister so just hack the POS off the deck and replace it with a decent faucet.
          sigpic

Comment

I applied at one place and they had 2-5 gal buckets of various fittings a repair parts. Passed but failed to get the job because I wouldn't sign a non compete.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              When reading your reply NH I was thinking of another thread where you said crapity crap crap crap who gives a crap and couldn`t stop laughing

Tony

Comment

I took a test once for a Asst. Supt. position. They had some basic math questions, then it turned into some sort of I.Q. test. I musta did ok on it, I got the job.
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that 50 people wouldn't post the size.

Comment

You did not ask, so why would you expect an answer to a question you did not ask?
                    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

If you work in an area that has a lot of PP, it doesn't take long before you remember that most showers ( except the Marquis) use a 3/8L. I think that is a cheap shot on an employment quiz, however. They might also ask which do you use....black, blue, red, or white. ( I prefer blue, again irrelevant to your hiring!)

Comment

Wouldn"t that 1 question, only be able to be answered, after you ask 5 or more questions back? Does PF only have one type of tub/ shower stem? Is it the diverter stem or the hot & cold? How old is it? Is it 3 handle, 2 handle, single handle? Maybe its a cartridge? Just saying, cuz I don't deal with too much PF repairs. If you do get the job, looks like you may be doing alot of faucet repairs huh? Ok if you like it, but its not for everyone.
                        And no I don't know the size either, but I can guarantee, I probobly have it in my truck.

Comment

I am glad the employer gave a test before hiring someone. This shows he somewhat cares about who he is sending to his customers house. Employees are the face of the company,t hey can make it or break it for a owner.

I do think that the seat washer question was a little petty, but I believe sizing, diagnostics and troubleshooting are big parts of a proper test. Knowledge, both business and trade need to be pushed harder in this industry to improve the image.
                          Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

3/8l for a tub/ shower valve and 00 for a lav faucet. even remember the o-ring size for a stem is 3/8 x 9/16 x 3/32. 910-900 for a ceramic lav stem.
                            but then again a pp faucet here is like seeing a gm car on the road. installed thousands and carry hundreds of stems and cartridges for the pp. not a bad faucet for a decent price. current designs and good customer service.

rick.

ps. my buddy steve would interview them and ask if they ever worked on a " thermal exhaust bypass relief valve" if they did, they didn't get the job. it's a made up part
                            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-22-2011, 11:07 PM.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              ps. my buddy steve would interview them and ask if they ever worked on a " thermal exhaust bypass relief valve" if they did, they didn't get the job. it's a made up part
                              Whatcha sayin? That there thermal exhaust bypass relief valve is located passenger side outboard of the flux capacitor in a modified Delorean. (Sheesh.)

Speaking of employment questions is it unreasonable to expect a plumber to be able to convert a decimal into fractions? 4.5655 into 4 and some X/16's for example? Most people I interview don't seem to believe that a plumber needs to be able to perform these little tasks occasionally.
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                              X