X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Product Obsolescence

I remember a couple of years ago folks beating up on the Ridgid K-39AF because of it's lack of power and general lack of durability.

Low and behold the appearance of the K-40 Yet a well designed product like the K-1500 is still alive and kicking.

Now I hear that the Microexplorer and its mystery Bump reset issue is being discontinued for a "New and improved product" (Ridgid really wants me to believe they can't reproduce the problem that dozens of people have complained about?) I get it legalities and costs ect...

I just figured out a cheap source for those $126 batteries and you are gonna re engineer

Josh, tell me that repair parts are going to be available for years for these discontinued products and the repair centers are not going to tell me sorry that item is discontinued you are out of luck.

Example: Why should I buy a $12,000 Ridgid camera system only to be told a few years after the fact that parts are no longer available for that product since a "New and improved model is available"

This race to be on the cutting edge of technology through constant product improvement is a double edge sword to Ridgid and its customers.

If Ridgid chooses the backdoor to product obsolescence through the discontinuance of its products in the name of "Improvement" it will be a failure in the long run...

Discuss...

Re: Ridgid Product Obsolescence

I just got done boxing up the defective K39 for a second trip back to Ohio. I also just got done reading the warranty. I asked them for the newer improved product instead of repairing this one again but if they decide to repair it again that's fine too. In the warranty it clearly states that if it has to be repaired a third time I could ask for a full refund but then I would only turn around and purchase the newer version anyway. Why put off the inevitable? I know that if they repair it again it will fail again. Bottom line is the K39 truly is underpowered for normal use. Ridgid please do the right thing. We are professionals that need professional tools that WORK! Expect the tool by this Wednesday, you'll know it's me because in my letter I explained that I am also a member of this forum. Do the right thing please. Thank you.

Comment

As I was reading this, I was thinking how similar what you were talking about was to laptops and cellphones, a new and improved machine comes out every 6 months, and once the warranty is up, good luck finding parts.

Buy two used ones, when it breaks you have the parts. Once the "new and improved" model comes out and the bugs worked out and its been a few years, upgrade at half the price.

Cars have the same problem, planned obsolescence. GO to the dealership parts desk and ask "I need a part to fit a ninetee_ "and get interruipted by uproarious laughter by the guy behind the counter" WE DONT SELL PARTS FOR OLD CARS MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" By then the whole dealership is pointing at you and laughing. A salseman however will feel sorry for you and come over to try and console you by showing you all of the new models of new and improved cars they have....
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
        As I was reading this, I was thinking how similar what you were talking about was to laptops and cellphones, a new and improved machine comes out every 6 months, and once the warranty is up, good luck finding parts.

Buy two used ones, when it breaks you have the parts. Once the "new and improved" model comes out and the bugs worked out and its been a few years, upgrade at half the price.

Cars have the same problem, planned obsolescence. GO to the dealership parts desk and ask "I need a part to fit a ninetee_ "and get interruipted by uproarious laughter by the guy behind the counter" WE DONT SELL PARTS FOR OLD CARS MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" By then the whole dealership is pointing at you and laughing. A salseman however will feel sorry for you and come over to try and console you by showing you all of the new models of new and improved cars they have....
        The consumer has to identify these issues and vote with our wallets... This behavior is part of all that is wrong with the world

Comment

Working...
        X