X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you do? thanks ahead of time

So for those of you that already know had to cut drywall and tongue and groove wayne scotting out of a four year old house on friday found pin holes in a 3/4 and a 1/2 bow pex line. Couldnt see it almoost impossible to find but did quite a bit of damage. Called wholesalers they new right away have had same problem with wirsbo and poly b and super pex, bow pex ect ect...the guy i talked to is going to send me the bullitin and research about the cedar bugs that are causing the failure. Anyways ask him what else is there guess im going to propress? Sure adds cost to bids and money for setup i dont really have that or saulder? He tells me viega's aquaflow? I think that has a aluminum core like kitec... Is this the product i have heard some of you speaking of? I currently have been sold on wirsbo but it to has had failures do to these pests... Do you trust this viega i know kitec was similer but the aluminum and yellow brass was causing electrolisis and causing failures ... From what i understand anyways.. also i heard if you kinked kitec you had issues. Anyways im skeptical to switch again i was using crimp pex up to about 8 months ago i just dont want to scare my customers or contractors. But dont feel right installing something that can fail"especially the pipe, iv been selling homerun systems with no joints in walls " hoping to elimanate all potential for leaks? Obviously thats not the case. The wholesaler said they would give me the tools for viega and let me try it out, im just curious will a thin layer of aluminum really stop these bugs? Anyways what would you guys do in this situation we have lots of stink bugs especially in timberframe homes which i do quite a bit of work on? Thanks one confused seanny....

Re: what would you do? thanks ahead of time

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
    So for those of you that already know had to cut drywall and tongue and groove wayne scotting out of a four year old house on friday found pin holes in a 3/4 and a 1/2 bow pex line. Couldnt see it almoost impossible to find but did quite a bit of damage. Called wholesalers they new right away have had same problem with wirsbo and poly b and super pex, bow pex ect ect...the guy i talked to is going to send me the bullitin and research about the cedar bugs that are causing the failure. Anyways ask him what else is there guess im going to propress? Sure adds cost to bids and money for setup i dont really have that or saulder? He tells me viega's aquaflow? I think that has a aluminum core like kitec... Is this the product i have heard some of you speaking of? I currently have been sold on wirsbo but it to has had failures do to these pests... Do you trust this viega i know kitec was similer but the aluminum and yellow brass was causing electrolisis and causing failures ... From what i understand anyways.. also i heard if you kinked kitec you had issues. Anyways im skeptical to switch again i was using crimp pex up to about 8 months ago i just dont want to scare my customers or contractors. But dont feel right installing something that can fail"especially the pipe, iv been selling homerun systems with no joints in walls " hoping to elimanate all potential for leaks? Obviously thats not the case. The wholesaler said they would give me the tools for viega and let me try it out, im just curious will a thin layer of aluminum really stop these bugs? Anyways what would you guys do in this situation we have lots of stink bugs especially in timberframe homes which i do quite a bit of work on? Thanks one confused seanny....

Viega is the only pex I now use and trust. Though I must say that I have never had nor have I ever heard of bugs eating through pex. Must be a local thing, I don't know.
    This is the Viega Pex you're talking about, it's called FostaPex:

Viega Plumbing Products - press fittings, manifolds, PEX, piping, radiant flooring

It should help with the bugs but if you have that bad of a problem with bugs eating your pex I think I would stick with copper. Even with Fostapex you could still have problems because of how you make up your joints. Read the Viega website, tons of info there.

Comment

This is the first time i have ran into this heard about it once from a previous boss once but, first time i actually encountered it scares the crap outa me im not liable or the the builder it falls on to house insurance, which really sucks the house that this happened on actually has quite a problem with these bugs. Lots of houses dont but just not sure what to do.

Comment

Why not go to copper?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just hard to bid and be compĂ©titive but i think probally my only option people are just kinda nervous of it costing tons .. cant afford propress right now ? Ive been insulating all lines recently which i think could be enough on most houses. It just feels like Ă* rĂ©al kick in thĂ© bag. But Thanks Thats probally thĂ© solution.

Comment

Working...
          X