X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propress

Concerns about this pex issue iv run into are starting to affect my sleep, with a ten month old boy i cant afford any more lost sleep. So im kinda convinced propress might be the only fisable solution.
    Im pretty limited on funds " k 750, k 45, k 60, m12 expander tool, cordless makita kit, ect ect" this year so pretty tapped as far as tool allowance goes and chrismas, wifes bday sons bday ect ect if you guys were gona by a propress tool 1/2 and 3/4" for know maybe 1" to, what brand and model would you reccomend also what brand fittings?. How much more are fittings and how do you usually plumb your houses when using propress, old run and branch im guessing just curious? Time wise how long does it take to make a joint? Are any of you plumbing whole houses in propress? Anyways just playing with the idea trying to get a ppicture or price of what i can expect to spend.

Thanks seanny.

Re: propress

I'm interested too. Also how does propress hold up with high heat on boilers?

Comment

If money is an issue, why not just keep soldering away. It works and with a jet swet you can tackle almost any job a propress can, just not as fast. How much propress work would you need to do before it was paid off? If you spend 2k on a system but only make 1k on it, you lost 1k, not made. It's not what you make, it's what you spend.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

you could buy used and saved 50% on the kit. of course fittings would still be new.

the great thing with new work and propress is the elimination of the torch/ fire, flux and sanding. still need to ream inner and outer edge.

of course on service work/ wet lines is where it really shines. nothing like a joint in 5 seconds wet, dry or running

now 5 seconds doesn't seem like much for 1/2'', but remember the propress will also go to 4'' with the right tool and jaws. same 5 seconds. you can't even apply flux in 5 seconds, no less clean, and solder a joint in that time. then take into account all the service work and shut downs and wasted time.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Im lokking at it longterm as we speak i have a church renovation, 2 complete timberhome rough inns, another that iv only done the groundwork, another ive done the rough in still have water in septic out and finishing, another stickframe that s just roughed in , a 2" copper main for a irrigation system, a bathhouse ten toilets ect, that ive only done underslab various bathroom renos and then any service iv neclegeted or have yet to recieve phone calls for... Lost time soldering "especially on bids" is kinda like losing twice... And if i decide to go copper "or atleast give an alternative" i want it to be fast and problem free... We all know what a ***** it can be to have to pull. A fitting a retry a soldered joint... It wont be right away that i buy a propress tool but id like to get some insight and do the research so when i advise people to go with copper and i get a big enough ok the wholesaler has one in stock and i can just eat it and go full steam ahead... Thanks seanny

Comment

Depends on what you are using it for.
            I have one and have not used it in a year,
            I have to bid against too many illegals so in no way can I afford Propress for new install.
            I have 1/2" through 2" sitting on the shelf in the garage waiting for the one time the water won't shut off.

I am 98% single family homes.

I can gaurantee if I had more multiple unit structures I'd be using it more.

Comment

We are fortuate enough to not have illegals the odd unlicenced guy but they dont last long some licenced hacks but for the most part if i can justify the expense and show reasons why i "think" my customers will pay a little more as long as they see the benefits. Of course il have to give them pex as an option as to not price myself out of work... Just thinking it might be well worth it? Thanks for reading seanny

Comment

The propress is faster.
                I did a repipe in propress a couple years ago.By the time I had to figure out how to fabricate the tight spots in the cabinets,drop cielings and floor joist,solder joints unreachable with the tool I didn't save that much time.

On the other hand,exposed piping in the painted garage the tool rocks.Burnt drywall is unnaceptable,takes a while to solder with sheilds and spray bottle.

I'm thinking how much the straight stick Rothenberger gets into more of the tight spots.JC Plumbing has one and likes it for what it is.

Comment

Get the ProPress, I promise that you will never go back to the torch. I use my ProPress tool most every day for everything that I used to do with a torch. Water heater installs, angle stops, leaks, tub shower valve installs..... installing a tub shower valve with a propress, OMG you will wonder why you didn't get one sooner.
                  Sure guys, you all just love torching inside a tight closet inside a wall watching your sparks fall down the wall, yea sure. LOL

Get one, you won't be disappointed. Make sure you get the Milwaukee cordless tubing cutter too, I keep one in my bag with my ProPress. Customers look at me and wonder WTF are you doing, they have no clue but when they realize what the tools are doing they love it, very impressed they are.

Comment

I've been bugging Viega to make a ProPress angle stop, I think it's coming. For now I use a 1/2" PP male adapter into a FIP angle stop. Use the Milwaukee cutter to cut off the pipes under the sink, PP on the new stops with my SS flex risers already screwed on. Talk about a knuckle saver.

Comment

Nibco makes a nice half to one inch press gun. You have to get a bigger gun for the bigger chain rings though. But the small one is light small and works well. I did see one break once but I believe that was a freak accident. The aluminum that holds the pin to attach the crimp head snapped off on a 3/4 joint.

Comment

Originally posted by CHUCKELS View Post
                        Nibco makes a nice half to one inch press gun. You have to get a bigger gun for the bigger chain rings though. But the small one is light small and works well. I did see one break once but I believe that was a freak . The aluminum that holds the pin to attach the crimp head snapped off on a 3/4 joint.

Comment

Things are not perfect in the ProPress world. I've had a 3/4" jaw actually snap in half once. When it happened I was like a fish out of water and didn't have a back up jaw right in the middle of the job. I now carry back up jaws, just in case it happens again.

Also I have to say something about the new larger Propress that I recently bought. It's big and it's harder to use. Rick did tell me I should keep my smaller unit for smaller jobs but I didn't, I sold it to help pay for my new unit. Rick you were right on and I should have listened to you. SO... I am now looking to buy a new Ridgid 210 as soon as I can afford it, thanks. I'll use the smaller 210 unit for all service work and have the big one in the truck for the larger jobs. Live and learn right? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                            Things are not perfect in the ProPress world. I've had a 3/4" jaw actually snap in half once. When it happened I was like a fish out of water and didn't have a back up jaw right in the middle of the job. I now carry back up jaws, just in case it happens again.

Also I have to say something about the new larger Propress that I recently bought. It's big and it's harder to use. Rick did tell me I should keep my smaller unit for smaller jobs but I didn't, I sold it to help pay for my new unit. Rick you were right on and I should have listened to you. SO... I am now looking to buy a new Ridgid 210 as soon as I can afford it, thanks. I'll use the smaller 210 unit for all service work and have the big one in the truck for the larger jobs. Live and learn right? LOL
                            If you do not need the jaw to rotate a full 360ยบ get the RP100, Marvin at Allan J Coleman gave me a brand new in the box RP100 for a great price. His prices on the RP210 are real good as well.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Sadly...I just actual saw my first Pro-Press tool in person yesterday. It was the 330b and I didn't realize how big these tools are. I couldn't get over the weight of the tool, and the 2" jaw!

and I thought my B tank was heavy...lol

Comment

Working...
                              X